Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    There seems to be an awful lot of Protestant molestation going on, yet people on this board gleefully boast only of Catholic Priests who commit sex crimes.

Catholics make the best targets because we are the largest denomination and this country has historically discriminated against us. Note all the hatred that was tron at JFK while he was a candidate and the fact that we haven't seen a Catholic president since.

Well thats probably because the publicity the Catholic church received which was due because the cover up went all the way to the Vatican. Now that I know the other branches of Christianity are doing the same thing I feel even more validated in my hatred of organized religion.

There sure is a lot of hot air from people who obviously have no clue to the teachings of the Catholic Faith. Fortunately they are not alone, as many folks who claim Catholicism seem to have no clue why the rituals and services are the way they are. Oh well, to each their own.

BTW, I thought the purpose of this thread was to discuss Scientology, what happened? People's hatred of Christianity has hijacked the discussion.
    The thread turned [[as most discussions on scientology do) to mocking of a 'cult'. Many of us find in hard to distinguish between the various cults.... There is no hatred of Christianity, believe what you want. The observation that there is an awful lot in the mythology you adhere to that, had it not been around for 2000 years.... many would find laughable if you tried to peddle it to the masses today. Setting aside all the other fantasical stories...let's just start at the beginning.... Adam and Eve are responsible for 6 billion people? If so, then what is the catholic church's position on incest? No way we're getting past the first generation without it.

And before you tell me...well, not everything is to be taken literally in the bible, then why is the catholic church inserting itself in the fight against gay rights? Could have sworn I see a lot of "adam and eve not adam and steve!" and "Gay marriage is against god's law" signs.

Quote: "There is no hatred of Christianity,"

No other religion is mocked and disrespected in this country the way Christianity is. You probably haven't noticed because it has became the norm over the last 30 years. Christians on television are almost always portrayed in a negative light.

Christians on television are almost always portrayed in a negative light.
    Perhaps their words and deeds are what is responsible for the perceived negative light?

But your umbrage reminds me of a great quote..."Get off the cross we need the wood."

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    No other religion is mocked and disrespected in this country the way Christianity is. You probably haven't noticed because it has became the norm over the last 30 years. Christians on television are almost always portrayed in a negative light.
    I am not religious, but the Jews just crapped their pants in shock when you said that.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Whether you like it or not, those who were baptized Catholic, are Catholic ...
    Simply not true. The only person who can determine what religion one may be is the person himself. Applying standards set by others, especially others with whom you disagree, simply doesn't work in this case.

I was baptized and confirmed as Catholic many years ago, primarily because that was what my parents wanted and, as a little kid, I didn't know anything different. I left Catholicism 40+ years ago because I disagreed with many of their fundamental teachings and felt it was hypocritical to stay. I am now so far from being Catholic that I find your statement of once Catholic always Catholic to be offensive.

Whether you like it or not, those who were baptized Catholic, are Catholic .
    are you going to apply that same logic to the Mormon's practice of baptism after death of those never affiliated with the LDS church? Is your grandma now Mormon because some clerk in Utah put her name in a book 20 years after she died?

Quote: "Perhaps their words and deeds"

Perhaps I touched a nerve.

Not at all. But if one can't stand the heat, one should stay out from in front of the klieg lights.

Quote: "But if one can't stand the heat,"

LOL, You have no idea....

cheddar bob Guest

Quote: "Perhaps their words and deeds"

Well, I don't know about a nerve.

The observation that there is an awful lot in the mythology you adhere to that, had it not been around for 2000 years.... many would find laughable if you tried to peddle it to the masses today. Setting aside all the other fantasical stories...let's just start at the beginning.... Adam and Eve are responsible for 6 billion people? If so, then what is the catholic church's position on incest? No way we're getting past the first generation without it.

And before you tell me...well, not everything is to be taken literally in the bible, then why is the catholic church inserting itself in the fight against gay rights? Could have sworn I see a lot of "adam and eve not adam and steve!" and "Gay marriage is against god's law" signs.
    I can't remember a post around here that was so spot-on. Nobody has been able to give me a definitive answer when I've asked the incest question. Apparently incest is okay with the christians because their belief structure would be destroyed without it.

Quote: "Apparently incest is okay"

There is a lot in the old testament that is not acceptable nowadays, incest concubines, etc. That's why the New testament was composed after Jesus. His teachings changed everything. New gospels had to be composed. It is not an easy thing to figure out, many have spent their whole lives trying to decipher it in it's entirety. It comes across contradictory and puzzling at times, but one has to keep in mind that it is actually 27 different books written by 27 different people over a long period of time. It is a miracle that they fit together as well as they do.

cheddar bob Guest

There is a lot in the old testament that is not acceptable nowadays, incest concubines, etc. That's why the New testament was composed after Jesus. His teachings changed everything. New gospels had to be composed. It is not an easy thing to figure out, many have spent their whole lives trying to decipher it in it's entirety. It comes across contradictory and puzzling at times, but one has to keep in mind that it is actually 27 different books written by 27 different people over a long period of time. It is a miracle that they fit together as well as they do.
    It doesn't have anything to do with new testament vs. old testament, genius. Your whole belief structure is based on incest because it all started with Adam and Eve. Someone had to fuck a relative to populate the earth.

Quote: "It doesn't have anything to do with new testament vs. old testament"

It has everything to do with it. There was no Christianity before Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Setting aside all the other fantasical stories...let's just start at the beginning.... Adam and Eve are responsible for 6 billion people? If so, then what is the catholic church's position on incest? No way we're getting past the first generation without it.

It may come as a shock to you, but the Catholic Church supports and teaches evolution as how humans came about. The Bible is not a science book, it was written by people who thought the world was flat. It was written in a way that the people of that time could understand, not to explain the universe's wonders.

When it comes to science and astronomy, the Catholic Faith is one of the most liberal and open minded denominations in the world. Heck, the Vatican has their own telescopes, scientists, and physicists. Of coarse those stories don't get much attention.

And the Adam and Steve stickers, could they possibly be on cars of Protestants, since they are usually the ones who claim the Bible is the literal word of God.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote: "It doesn't have anything to do with new testament vs. old testament"

It has everything to do with it. There was no Christianity before Christ.
    You're missing the whole fucking point. Or avoiding it which is more likely. Someone had to fuck a blood relative to populate the earth and you're okay with that being the basis for your beliefs. Unless you're picking and choosing what parts of christianity you want to believe in, which I wouldn't put past you.

I'm not sure why I expect a person that can't figure out the quote function on a message board to understand such complexity as this. It's probably my fault for expecting you to understand the simplest of things.

I don't know, is it right for one person to eat another person alive during a survival situation? It's a homicide, but they typically aren't prosecuted for it. Although, I don't recall anywhere in the Bible that states Adam and Eve were brother and sister, however their offspring were. Of course it also does not say that Adam and Eve were the only people that God created. They were the only ones pertinent to the lineage of Christ. It was a little before my time. You might want to cut back on the caffeine, just sayin'
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; June-24-09 at 11:21 PM.

Many of the stories from the Bible were meant to provide folks with morals and a blueprint for how you should live your life, not necessarily taken literally. Besides, after many translations, some words and meanings have been completely changed or taken out of context. Thats the problem with different languages and tongues.

.It comes across contradictory and puzzling at times, but one has to keep in mind that it is actually 27 different books written by 27 different people over a long period of time. It is a miracle that they fit together as well as they do.

Detroitej72 - "it was written by people who thought the world was flat. It was written in a way that the people of that time could understand," "Besides, after many translations, some words and meanings have been completely changed or taken out of context."

Exactly why I dont waste my time with the good ol good book.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Many of the stories from the Bible were meant to provide folks with morals and a blueprint for how you should live your life, not necessarily taken literally. Besides, after many translations, some words and meanings have been completely changed or taken out of context. Thats the problem with different languages and tongues.
    Oh, okay. So what you're saying is that we should just believe whatever parts of it we want to believe, interpret it to say whatever we want, or in sstashmoo's case, infer that things happened even though there is no reason to believe that they did happen?

And the Adam and Steve stickers, could they possibly be on cars of Protestants, since they are usually the ones who claim the Bible is the literal word of God.
    I'm sure they were on those too....but, in Michigan, the Catholic Conference bankrolled the prop 2 fight along with Focus on the family...and others...all religious groups....all relying on the LITERAL TRUTH of the BIBLE as support. here's some of their literature....

It may come as a shock to you, but the Catholic Church supports and teaches evolution as how humans came about. The Bible is not a science book, it was written by people who thought the world was flat.
    You're right... it's not a science book. But, if they are so tolerant of science, why did the catholic church spend almost 5 million in direct contributions to MiCause to stop the stem cell proposal last year?

Imagine what that 5 million could have done for the poor here in Michigan.
    Last edited by bailey; June-25-09 at 01:36 PM.

Quote: "interpret it to say whatever we want, or in sstashmoo's case, infer that things happened even though there is no reason to believe that they did happen?"

Actually there is reason to believe there were other people, we have scientific proof there were other people.

Quote: "Imagine what that 5 million could have done for the poor here in Michigan."

The same thing the stimulus dollars are doing?

Of course it also does not say that Adam and Eve were the only people that God created.
    Uh.. well, then if he created others, did they all eat the apple? If he created a whole bunch of adams and eves...shouldn't there be a race of immortals...immune from disease and not knowing of death?

Or did he create a bunch of fallen humans?

Quote: "Imagine what that 5 million could have done for the poor here in Michigan."

The same thing the stimulus dollars are doing?
    Assuming that is a dig against stimulus money doing nothing.. because thatis all I can seem to get from that nonsensical answer. ....that is a pretty cynical thing for a religious person to say. I mean , 5 million wont do much to help the homeless, might as well burn it fighting something that the vast majority of the state wants because our book of fables says it's a bad thing.

Quote: "that is a pretty cynical thing for a religious person to say. I mean , 5 million wont do much to help the homeless,"

I'm all about personal accountability. The majority of people that are homeless choose to be. They have done case studies and dissected the situations surrounding these folks that live on the streets. Most have relatives and friends that would take them in if they would get a job, work like everyone else, stop drugging etc. That's the life they choose. A good example is in the mid/late 90's when the economy was kicking ass we still had a homeless problem. There was no reason at that time for anyone to be homeless. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for them. The Bible also says if you don't work, you should not eat. In all my years of working in and around Detroit, I have never seen a homeless person looking for a job, not once.

Now the ones that are there because of reasons beyond their control. Yes. I'd help them in a second.

There was no reason at that time for anyone to be homeless.I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for them. The Bible also says if you don't work, you should not eat.
    Matthew 25:31-46
    31 When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne,
    32 and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.
    33 He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.34Then the king will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
    35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me,
    36 naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.
    37 Then the righteous will answer him and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?
    38 When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?
    39 When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?' 40 And the king will say to them in reply, 'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.' 41 Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.' 44 Then they will answer and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?' 45 He will answer them, 'Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.' 46 And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."
    Things not really looking good for you there Tash.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast