Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Is that a joke?

I thought the same thing when I read it.

I think an old-fashioned land rush should be held and the city repopulated en masse. There are millions of people who would love to own land or a home and, I think, that would be willing to be part of a million people returning to a city and getting it going again. It would be historic. It could be the story of the century. With today's technology, it could easily be done online with bidding for property for a defined time period.

Detroit's problems, in my opinion, are so large and so numerous that it is going to take something massive to turn it around. A modern land rush to repopulate a city with much infrastructure already in place could do wonders for Detroit's future. Thinking out of the box again. : )

Quote Originally Posted by PeachLaser View Post
    I think an old-fashioned land rush should be held and the city repopulated en masse.
    Start with those areas that are largely abandoned and vacant. Bulldoze everything that's left down to the dirt. Re-subdivide the blocks. Instead of 40 or 50 small parcels, make 5 or 10 larger parcels. Give them away free with the condition that the owner must build a permanent residential structure within a year and live in it for at least 10 years [[no landlords, owner occupied only). Offer reduced rates for property taxes and reduced income taxes if the new owner has not lived in the city in the last 10 years.

Select other areas for developments for low income families who want to move to safer housing. Still other areas could be set aside for commercial/retail or manufacturing/tech/light industrial with similar incentives.

That's the easy part.

The hard part is servicing the areas to make them safe and keep them clean.
    Last edited by Meddle; May-27-12 at 06:52 AM.

I think an old-fashioned land rush should be held and the city repopulated en masse. There are millions of people who would love to own land or a home and, I think, that would be willing to be part of a million people returning to a city and getting it going again. It would be historic. It could be the story of the century. With today's technology, it could easily be done online with bidding for property for a defined time period.

Detroit's problems, in my opinion, are so large and so numerous that it is going to take something massive to turn it around. A modern land rush to repopulate a city with much infrastructure already in place could do wonders for Detroit's future. Thinking out of the box again. : )
    Is this a joke? Housing prices in Detroit are so cheap right now that they are practically free. Detroit will not grow again until two basic problems are successfully addressed: public safety and public schools.

The city's plan to induce cops to live in the city which resulted in exactly 6 officers moving in the city demonstrates that you just about can't give away housing in Detroit. The problem is living in Detroit, not obtaining a home here.

Let me correct and earlier suggestion. Communities like Grandmont-Rosedale or University District should not become autonomous. Instead, the city needs to persuade the residents of these communities to move to Midtown, downtown, or the riverfront. Their tax dollars are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    Is this a joke? Housing prices in Detroit are so cheap right now that they are practically free. Detroit will not grow again until two basic problems are successfully addressed: public safety and public schools.

The city's plan to induce cops to live in the city which resulted in exactly 6 officers moving in the city demonstrates that you just about can't give away housing in Detroit. The problem is living in Detroit, not obtaining a home here.
    That's why a HUGE event has to occur, in my opinion. There has to be an influx of people that is large enough in numbers to influence and change the status quo rather than continuing the same. Right now, it seems the thugs, slackards and corrupt government has the upper hand. People trickling in are getting eaten by the current conditions because there are not enough of them to radically change the situation. If, an event can be created like nothing else ever seen in modern America which can get tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of 'citizens' coming back into the city, these numbers can create a complete 'flush' of the city for a fresh restart. It's a 'safety-in-numbers' plan.

If, an event can be created like nothing else ever seen in modern America which can get tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of 'citizens' coming back into the city, these numbers can create a complete 'flush' of the city for a fresh restart. It's a 'safety-in-numbers' plan.
    We had something like that about 100 years ago: the rise of the automobile industry. what are the chances of lightning striking twice like that in the city?

I'd like to learn more of the city's history pre-Henry Ford. Clearly there was a city before the auto industry...

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    I thought the same thing when I read it.
    As an original Ruins member and old school Detroiter I'mstarting to see a lot of newer Detroiters who aren't familiar with the historyof the city. Mainly speaking political history. I sometimes think it's a goodthing that many of the new Detroiter's aren't familiar with past politicalfigures so they're not discouraged about why Detroit has remained stagnant fordecades. But I think this is why the old timers understand that Detroit"is what it is"...and it's not going to change that much. We haveaccepted our city for what it is. Love it or hate it.

But sometimes I think the new school Detroiter's shouldunderstand the past political players and then they'll understand why so manyold school Detroiters have gotten discouraged over the years and given up. Somany Detroiters have tried to help rebuild the city for decades but it takes atoll on you in SO many different ways and many have just thrown in the toweland left the city all together. I hope the attempt sticks this time but myadvice is to accept the city for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    As an original Ruins member and old school Detroiter I'mstarting to see a lot of newer Detroiters who aren't familiar with the historyof the city. Mainly speaking political history. I sometimes think it's a goodthing that many of the new Detroiter's aren't familiar with past politicalfigures so they're not discouraged about why Detroit has remained stagnant fordecades. But I think this is why the old timers understand that Detroit"is what it is"...and it's not going to change that much. We haveaccepted our city for what it is. Love it or hate it.

But sometimes I think the new school Detroiter's shouldunderstand the past political players and then they'll understand why so manyold school Detroiters have gotten discouraged over the years and given up. Somany Detroiters have tried to help rebuild the city for decades but it takes atoll on you in SO many different ways and many have just thrown in the toweland left the city all together. I hope the attempt sticks this time but myadvice is to accept the city for what it is.
    After 63 years in Detroit this old school Detroiter threw in the towel!!!