Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default An eye opening jaw dropping trip through Detroit

Hello all ! I've been following Detroit yes since 2005/2006 I think. I've just recently rejoined .
    I followed from the West Coast . I was born here in Detroit , Lived here until I was 13, then moved Southern California until just recently [[5 years ago) moved back. Now I'm 46. I'm VERY familiar with the city I know it's rich history and it's troubles very well , but just recently I had to drive to a friends house to visit and like I said I didn't grow up driving age here so I told him I would just google map it .

My trip started in Downtown Detroit around the opera house. My journery started up Gratiot and it was pretty sad driving past my grandparents old neighborhood ,near Gratiot and Mt Elliot :-[[.

The drive up Gratiot was pretty sad , but then I got to Van Dyke and had to make a left ,all the way up Van Dyke to 7 mile, I started to get knots in my belly and my head started to race, thinking" How in the Hell are they going to fix all of this mess from DECADES, of Decay?
    I arrived at my friends BEAUTIFUL , 1940's home, with much of the original wood work and bathroom, just north of 7 mile and east of Van Dyke .

As the sun was setting I had to drive back to my home in Northwest Detroit , by this time I had an idea where I was so I drove down to 6 mile and took it across town.

Watching the neighborhoods change was shocking .
    I'm a student in urban planning and keep asking my self
    "How in the Hell are they going to fix all of the mess ?"

I've study urban areas through many decades , Centuries , and the only way I see that it can be rebuilt is through government rebuilding or an entity like the catholic church, or churches ,someone with REALLY deep pockets, or completely rebuilding the middle class through companies like Ford and GM which I think is unlikely .

Like I said I live in the city Northwest and I know about downtown, midtown, New center, Grandmount rosedale, all the "villages" , lafayette park , Palmer Park ect, so I know the entire city in not a complete mess, more than half is . I know all about Whole Foods, Mejier, ect . The small company I work with is opening our second location in midtown, our other location in Royal Oak,but there are HUGE parts of the city need to address.

We already know it's way over the city council heads and the need for the consent agreement and the fight over a EM. In the current crisis, which it is a crisis,with EMS rigs down , cutting police, no lights in areas, crime rising ,its a daunting task .

It took Decades to get here will it take decades to get out ? What can be done to leverage and speed up the processes ?
    any thoughts?
    Last edited by Detroitdave; May-26-12 at 01:57 AM. Reason: edit