Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Detroit's elderly will die. Hardly anyone moving in. There can be no doubt population will continue to fall.
    But, but, but.......

All of those "arts, music, and culture" types are just steaming in by the tens of thousands.

Or we're trying our best to hang on and stay.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    But, but, but.......

All of those "arts, music, and culture" types are just steaming in by the tens of thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Streetlights are regularly off for extended periods of time in even the most populated areas.
    Can't speak to how it is in Detroit BUT streetlights are rarely ever metered and the customer, in this case the city, simply pays a monthly fee whether the light is on or not.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    Well, this is nothing new. The city leaves streetlights off to save money all the time.
    Can't speak to how it is in Detroit BUT streetlights are rarely ever metered and the customer, in this case the city, simply pays a monthly fee whether the light is on or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    Not to mention that, even if the city depowers the lights, they will be on the hook for 60% of the regular cost of each light provided by Edison anyway.

Edit: But, streetlights are City owned, not Edison owned... duh.

DE-ENERGIZED LIGHTS:
    Customers may elect to have any or all luminaires served under this rate disconnected. The charge per luminaire per year, payable in equal monthly installments, shall be 60% of the regular yearly rates. A $35.00 charge per luminaire will be made at the time of de-energization and at the time of re-energization

Last edited by townonenorth; May-25-12 at 12:23 PM.

When the Chicago Road House was a going concern, the owner had a wonderful, large framed hand-colored architect's view of Washington Blvd looking south. It dated from the early part of the last century and was prepared by the Edison Illuminating Company to show the merchants and building owners how beautiful the street would be with streetlights. It seemed that those people were going to have to pitch in to get those streetlights.

Washington Blvd was, then, very beautiful, graceful, well-planned. Not sure what such a drawing would be called. it was impressive. Road House owner said that a guy doing some work for him had found it rolled up when cleaning out a basement downtown.

Anyway, from boom to bust as they say. Turning them on in beauty and turning them off in decay.

When the Chicago Road House was a going concern, the owner had a wonderful, large framed hand-colored architect's view of Washington Blvd looking south. It dated from the early part of the last century and was prepared by the Edison Illuminating Company to show the merchants and building owners how beautiful the street would be with streetlights. It seemed that those people were going to have to pitch in to get those streetlights.

Washington Blvd was, then, very beautiful, graceful, well-planned. Not sure what such a drawing would be called. it was impressive. Road House owner said that a guy doing some work for him had found it rolled up when cleaning out a basement downtown.

Anyway, from boom to bust as they say. Turning them on in beauty and turning them off in decay.
    So what stops them from doing a special assessment for streetlights?

Marie Farrell-Donaldson [[City Auditor?) talked about downsizing the city 30 years ago. Everyone got up in arms at her suggestion.

As I understand the complicated maneuvering going on now, the city is re-directing dedicated funds from the police department to public lighting with the thought that the citizens will be asked to support a special millage for policing. It is thought that tax-payers will be more willing to pay $300 - $400 more annually for police than lighting. Then DPL will be put up for transfer to an Authority with some funds to allow the Authority to get something done.

As I understand the complicated maneuvering going on now, the city is re-directing dedicated funds from the police department to public lighting with the thought that the citizens will be asked to support a special millage for policing. It is thought that tax-payers will be more willing to pay $300 - $400 more annually for police than lighting. Then DPL will be put up for transfer to an Authority with some funds to allow the Authority to get something done.
    The citizens of Detroit pass every millage request that is made of them. That is the primary reason taxes are so high in Detroit. They don't say, "But I'm already paying for police, streetlights, garbage pickup, etc." Then, when people leave the City and/or can't pay their property taxes, the bonds still have to be repaid so the City has less money in the General Fund - leading to deficits.

There is absolutely no incentive for City government to ensure efficiency when they can just go back to the citizens and get more money. Even when the City privatizes, it does it in an inefficient manner. But so what, let's just put Proposal Mo' Money on the ballot.

I live in Warren. Warren does not have a public lighting department. I've had two streetlights go out on my street. We report the outages directly to DTE. DTE fixed both lights in a matter of a couple days each time.

DTE and Warren have invested in a project that has put LED lights on Ryan Road near 10 Mile. The lights require much less maintenance and also use much less energy.

Stop worrying folks. LED's are on the way...

The lighting helps the criminals too. Say you're on the street and the lights on and someone see and wants to give you a hard time. That streetlight isn't gonna do much. If anything the criminal element is the biggest loser in this development. They wont be replacing the copper for them to steal any longer.

I see in today's Freep that ALL alley streetlights will be eliminated. Oh boy - not so god. In my neighborhood there are no driveways. We can use garages only by entering the alleys. I do have an old floodlight system at the top of my garage in teh alley. I will see how I can get that going. Luckily its protected by a cage, but determined scavagers have triumphed over more than a little cage so i don't see that as being much protection for the light.

Will the last person in Detroit take down the streetlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Will the last person in Detroit take down the streetlights.
    The scrappers are on it like stink on sheet!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2