Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 61 of 117 FirstFirst ... 11 51 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 71 111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 2903

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Designed by J. Will Wilson for J. Will Wilson. 470 Washington built in 1918 City of Grosse Pointe, MI. Includes an article featuring the house from a 1917 issue of the Detroit Free Press.

The roofing guys must have had a fun time wrapping the asphalt shingles on this one beauty, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    The roofing guys must have had a fun time wrapping the asphalt shingles on this one beauty, eh?
    I have always wondered how it's done. Do they use a torch to bend them like that?

Quote Originally Posted by knwb View Post
    wow, p69rrh51, thank you! that's such a cool thing to see, i really appreciate it!

i wonder if any others still exist...
    What is your relation to Paul Kavieff?

By request for FRING. Designed by Marcus R. Burrowes. Grosse Pointe School Cottage 51 Grosse Pointe Boulevard built in 1923 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI. Includes an image of the house from a 1923 Thumb Tack Club of Detroit publication.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I have always wondered how it's done. Do they use a torch to bend them like that?

I wondered about it too. Maybe roofing tar to stick them which is a really nasty job, I would imagine. Funny that the roof design is meant to imitate thatched roofs. I once hitched a lift from a thatcher in the west of Ireland. There are still a lot of houses with these types of roofs in Europe.

What is your relation to Paul Kavieff?
    Paul is my dad's cousin [[though to the best of my knowledge, unless I was very very young at the time, I don't recall having ever met him). Otto had five children [[not in order, I could never recall who came when): Melvin, Sheldon, Edith, Norma, and Bob. Paul is Mel's son, I'm Edith's grandson. If you've ever read anything about equestrian society in the Detroit area [[Metamora, specifically), you may have come across the name Edith Wasserman - that was my grandmother. My grandfather was Alvin Wasserman, owner of Allied Delivery - back in the 70s and early 80s, you couldn't walk a block in Detroit without seeing one of his blue trucks with the yellow winged logo. 'S my family!
    Last edited by knwb; January-21-15 at 09:41 AM.

Does anyone know the architect of the [[former) Lathrup Mansion [[or "The House in the Woods") in Lathrup Village?

http://www.firegeezer.com/2009/06/19...mansion-burns/

I might guess C. Howard Crane, as it bears strikingly similar detail to 1630 Wellesley in Palmer Woods [[see page 60 of this thread, in the Packard photo collection), but I am not sure. I've seen a few different articles that claim the mansion was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, but I've scoured their databases and am coming up empty-handed...
    Last edited by knwb; January-22-15 at 04:20 PM.

Designed by Malcomson, Higginbotham & Palmer. Frederick A. Hanstein School Grosse Pointe Township Schools 4290 Marseilles built in 1918 Ballduck Hill Neighborhood Detroit, MI.
    1923 addition designed by Malcomson, Higganbotham & Palmer.
    Became part of Detroit Public Schools when Detroit annexed the surrounding area in 1926.

Designed by Malcomson, Higginbotham & Palmer. Frederick A. Hanstein School Grosse Pointe Township Schools 4290 Marseilles built in 1918 Ballduck Hill Neighborhood Detroit, MI.
    1923 addition designed by Malcomson, Higganbotham & Palmer.
    Became part of Detroit Public Schools when Detroit annexed the surrounding area in 1926.
    In light of what's going on in Detroit today, it's funny reading Detroit annexing more land.

After you lay the shingles, the sun takes care of the bending. The tricky part is figuring out how much of an overhang to leave so the edge ends up even. It's hard to trim shingles with nothing backing them.

Designed by Stratton & Baldwin. Home Telephone Company of Detroit Headquarters and Exchange 163 Madison built in 1908 Madison-Harmonie Historic District Detroit, MI.

Designed by Pollmar & Ropes Gustav Darmstaetter. 290 Arden Park Boulevard built in 1911 Arden Park-East Boston Boulevard Historic District Detroit, MI.

Darmstaetter was quite a character. He had a wife and children he kept hidden for amost 20 years, and there accusations of bigamy. He was also a principle in the West End Brewery.
    I met the owner of this house when I took the image. He has owned the house since the early 1970's and was a delight to chat with.

Designed by St. Louis based architects Maguolo & Quick. Precious Blood Roman Catholic Church 13305 Grove Street built in 1950 Detroit, MI.

Currently St. Peter Claver parish.
    Maguolo & Quick maintained a small office in Detroit.

Designed by Kenneth S. Frazier. Esquire Theatre 15327 East Jefferson built in 1938 Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

The theatre has long been attributed to C. Howard Crane. I had the original blueprints in my hands and Frazier's Stamp is on the plans while Crane's name does not appear anywhere on the blueprints.

Capacity: 992
    Demolished: 1988
    Image from Cinema Treasures.

Last edited by ABetterDetroit; January-26-15 at 11:12 PM.

I would've put a nice shot of the house in summer. Just a little kicker.

Here's a curious [[to me, anyway) architectural connection:

Name:  Virginia Park.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  42.9 KB
    This house is on Virginia Park in Detroit.

Name:  Devonshire : Walkerville.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  68.5 KB
    This one's on Devonshire in the Walkerville neighborhood in Windsor.

Sorry for the somewhat distorted Google Maps pictures.

Thanks p69rrh51. I have seen this photo but did not know the year or the source. Thanks Again.

Designed by St. Louis based architects Maguolo & Quick. Precious Blood Roman Catholic Church 13305 Grove Street built in 1950 Detroit, MI.

Currently St. Peter Claver parish.
    Maguolo & Quick maintained a small office in Detroit.
    Thanks for posting Pic of my old Church. It's still a shining gem.

For the Gunnar Birkerts fans among us.....

The Work of Gunnar Birkerts, Wednesday, February 4, 2015, 7pm. Throughout his long and impressive career, famed American Modern architect Gunnar Birkerts has designed award-winning buildings including the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art in Kansas City, Missouri, St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in Columbus, Indiana, and most recently the National Library of Latvia in Riga, Latvia. Birkerts follows no set of rules but designs every building for its specific site and use. He is particularly well-known for his innovative and sensitive use of light, which is well-demonstrated in his two Ann Arbor buildings, the University Reformed Church [[with its indirect lighting) and the University of Michigan Law School Library Addition [[which is filled with light despite being below ground). a2modern presents an evening discussion of the work of Gunnar Birkerts featuring experts Sally Bund and Margaret Leary. Sally Bund has been curating at the Bentley Historical Library for the last twenty years, working closely with Birkerts on his more than 12,000 original drawings, which are housed at the Bentley. Bund will give an overview of Birkerts’ work, and will be joined by Margaret Leary, retired director of the University of Michigan Law Library, who was involved in the planning and design of Birkerts’ pathfinding underground addition. The event will be held in the Whiting Room at the Bentley Historical Library. Light refreshments will be served; no RSVP is needed. The Bentley Historical Library is located at 1150 Beal Avenue, Ann Arbor on the University of Michigan’s North Campus. For additional information, contact Grace Shackman by email at gmshackman@comcast.net or by phone at 734-662-2187.
    http://bentley.umich.edu/news-events...nnar-birkerts/

And from a few years back....the DetroitYES Gunnar Birkerts Appreciation Thread
    http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...tml?1189796475
    Last edited by Kathleen; January-31-15 at 10:07 AM.

Designed by Arthur Des Rosiers. Saint Philip Neri Roman Catholic Church 2650 Dickerson built in 1955 Jefferson-Chalmers Neighborhood Detroit, MI.

Currently the John Vitale Community Center.

Desinged by Louis W. Klei. Lynch Elementary School 7601 Palmetto built in 1917 Detroit Public Schools Detroit, MI.

Designed by J. Ivan Dise for John Trost. 2151 Burns built in 1922 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.

Designed by Austin A. Howe for H. J. Pausch. 1368 Yorkshire built in 1924 Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

Howe designed the original Finney Elementary, Wayne and Von Steuben Elementary Schools for Detroit Public Schools. This is the first residence I have found designed by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Sloman residence/155 Chicago/Detroit, MI-not sure, but maybe a design by Marr or Mason
    Attachment 15265
    Patrick, I had forgotten about your images until they popped up on my Facebook group.

Designed by Chittenden & Kotting for Eugene H. Sloman. 155 Chicago Boulevard built in 1916 Boston-Edison Historic District Detroit, MI.

Page 61 of 117 FirstFirst ... 11 51 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 71 111 ... LastLast