Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 49 of 117 FirstFirst ... 39 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 59 99 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 2903

A Louis Redstone design.

1580 Lincolnshire built in 1939 Palmer Woods Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A Charles Horner design.

26530 Dundee built in 1930 Hill Historic District Huntington Woods, MI.

A Nrman S. Atcheson design including an image from a 1916 issue of the Western Architect. Took me awhile to find this home the city directories did not have him listed at this address.

1526 Chicago Boulevard built in 1916 Boston-Edison Historic District Detroit, MI.

A design by Eliel and Eero Saarinen with additional help from Robert F. Swanson. Also includes a short history from an article in The Moorings a publication of the Grosse Pointe Historical Society.

203 Cloverly built 1939 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; January-12-13 at 05:34 AM.

A design by the Boston firm of Chapman & Frazier.

4811 Second built in 1894 Warren-Prentis Historic District Detroit, MI.

A design by Alpheus W. Chittenden including to images from a 1917 issue of The American Architect.

35 McKinley Place built in 1909 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI.

A design by Talmadge C. Hughes.

128 Meadow Lane built in 1931 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI.

A design from the Royal Oak based firm of Worden & Price.

26515 Dundee built in 1939 Hill Historic District Huntington Woods, MI.

A few things i have noticed with American property/houses are:

The houses are very close to each other
    No fence between the houses
    No front fence/gate

Musty all be a honest bunch in USA?

Cheers

Dear Aussie;

Some areas of Detroit the houses are close together and others are far apart.

The area of Melbourne, Box Hill, has some great Edwardian
    homes very close.

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...hill-112629427

Many American homes have iron, wood, and steel fences with gates. Many are more of an architectural statement than pure security. Glad you have joined our forum.

Have friends at Holden.

Cheers

There is a huge wooded lot in GP between S. Deeplands Road and Fordcroft St. close to Lakeshore...what's the story of that parcel? It is between Shelden and Ballantyne as well...

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    Dear Aussie;

Some areas of Detroit the houses are close together and others are far apart.

The area of Melbourne, Box Hill, has some great Edwardian
    homes very close.

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...hill-112629427

Many American homes have iron, wood, and steel fences with gates. Many are more of an architectural statement than pure security. Glad you have joined our forum.

Have friends at Holden.

Cheers
    Most even older houses have a fence between them and gate/fence out front, hence the saying 1/4 acre block

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_acre

The early settlers and older inner suburbs have English type houses right next to each other, no lawns or driveway.

Nice to be on his great forum, learned a lot about *my* 8200 Mack!

Yes i know Holden, u know them as GM!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    There is a huge wooded lot in GP between S. Deeplands Road and Fordcroft St. close to Lakeshore...what's the story of that parcel? It is between Shelden and Ballantyne as well...
    Working on that, I have to go through the G.P. Shores building permits I have not been able to find any info pertaining to the mansion on the property but its a terrific house. I will let you know once all the info has been gathered.

When driving around the city you have to be observant you never know when you will run across one the many versions of this Leonard Willeke design. I was looking for another home on LaSalle Boulevard when I found this one.

8611 LaSalle Boulevard built in 1922 Detroit, MI.

A design by Lucien Bouttelgier, one of a handful designed and built by Bouttelgier in the Cabbage Patch.

1364 Beaconsfield built in 1924 Cabbage Patch Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

A John Pottle design.

306 Grosse Pointe Boulevard built 1951 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    When driving around the city you have to be observant you never know when you will run across one the many versions of this Leonard Willeke design. I was looking for another home on LaSalle Boulevard when I found this one.

8611 LaSalle Boulevard built in 1922 Detroit, MI.
    Here are three of them from the Boston-Edison neighborhood.Name:  Longfellow #1.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  38.7 KBName:  Longfellow #2.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  47.5 KBName:  Edison #1.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  60.4 KB

A design by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls.

Fyfe Building 10 West Adams built in 1919 Detroit, MI.
    My favorite feature of the Fyfe Shoe Store Building is the little cobbler gargoyles that adore the course between the 4th and 5th floors.
    Name:  Fyfe Shoe Store.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  51.8 KB
    [[Photo from American City, 2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Here are three of them from the Boston-Edison neighborhood.Name:  Longfellow #1.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  38.7 KBName:  Longfellow #2.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  47.5 KBName:  Edison #1.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  60.4 KB
    Neilr do you have the address' pf the second and third images? I have the address of the top image at 2425 Longfellow.

Sorry, I don't have the exact addresses [[I can't make them out on Google Maps). The 2nd house is almost across the street from 2425 Longfellow, so perhaps 2434 Longfellow. The 3rd house is on the north side of Edison, not far from Linwood.

Btw, 2425 Longfellow is, IMO, a significant cut above his others of similar design. The tile insets above the living room windows and the small tiles outlining the projection for the front door are iridescent Pewabic tiles.
    Name:  Longfellow #3.jpg
Views: 2738
Size:  23.6 KB
    This house also has a large rear sunroom with large casement windows and a beautiful Pewabic floor and radiator covers.

Working on that, I have to go through the G.P. Shores building permits I have not been able to find any info pertaining to the mansion on the property but its a terrific house. I will let you know once all the info has been gathered.
    Do you ever sleep?

Since I am no longer in the Detroit area [[600 miles away) I still manage to "drive" through the area using Google Street and an interesting residential street is Harbor Island Street, near Alfred Brush Ford Park. It looks like one of the best kept streets in the City of Detroit. Right around the block on Scripps Street, at the end of Chalmers, is an interesting home. Wonder what the story is on that. I was told that it was a Donaldson and Meier design, but I am not certain.

Quote Originally Posted by southofbloor View Post
    Do you ever sleep?
    Once and awhile I get a wink or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Sorry, I don't have the exact addresses [[I can't make them out on Google Maps). The 2nd house is almost across the street from 2425 Longfellow, so perhaps 2434 Longfellow. The 3rd house is on the north side of Edison, not far from Linwood.

Btw, 2425 Longfellow is, IMO, a significant cut above his others of similar design. The tile insets above the living room windows and the small tiles outlining the projection for the front door are iridescent Pewabic tiles.
    Name:  Longfellow #3.jpg
Views: 2738
Size:  23.6 KB
    This house also has a large rear sunroom with large casement windows and a beautiful Pewabic floor and radiator covers.
    Neilr you will like the brick work on this example on Bishop in Grosse Pointe Park.

Also this example on Calvert. The windows are quite grand compared to other examples.

Page 49 of 117 FirstFirst ... 39 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 59 99 ... LastLast