Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

hopefully this will be all self funded, or get help from Ilitch's business contemporaries-- the city can't afford to get involved in bankrolling a sports stadium..

Re: Pistons, on a pure fantasy level I wouldn't mind a shared stadium in Detroit, but I figure Gores is happy with keeping the status quo in Auburn Hills [[and I'm sure L. Brooks will bend over backwards to keep it that way).. unless there's a several-year stretch of abysmal attendance, I don't see any kind of moves toward divesting from the Palace.. though who knows, maybe there could be a one-shot, pre-season exhibition game in the new Wings stadium whenever that is completed [[2014?)..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    hopefully this will be all self funded, or get help from Ilitch's business contemporaries-- the city can't afford to get involved in bankrolling a sports stadium..

Re: Pistons, on a pure fantasy level I wouldn't mind a shared stadium in Detroit, but I figure Gores is happy with keeping the status quo in Auburn Hills [[and I'm sure L. Brooks will bend over backwards to keep it that way).. unless there's a several-year stretch of abysmal attendance, I don't see any kind of moves toward divesting from the Palace.. though who knows, maybe there could be a one-shot, pre-season exhibition game in the new Wings stadium whenever that is completed [[2014?)..
    This doesn't get built unless it's self funded. The city can't even get people to support a $1 fee to enter Belle Isle, you think the pubic will support a new arena? I guess we will have to just sit back and wait in this, although I'm not sure about the reduction in seating from 20k at the Joe to 18k at this new arena. I'm going to assume the area that would have held those additional 2k people will be mid arena luxury boxes [[Palace like) so it'll most likely still top out over 20k. And unless this project has been designed, engineered, signed off on, and paid for, with a fleet of backhoes staged in the GCP parking garage that we all don't know about, an opening in 2014 is a bit of a pipe dream. This project is most likely 5-7 years out.