Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by detrola View Post
    More proof positive that the number one issue facing detroit is the pervasive systemic culture of denial. It does not matter if detroit is not the only city "fudging their figures" What matters is that numbers were misrepresented. What matters even more is that these "numbers" equal DEAD PEOPLE.

Let me apply your "detroit is not the only" argument to some other issues facing the city.
    Detroit is not the ony city:
    ...to have a Mayor resign and do time in jail.
    ...to have several city Council Members indicted, and/or under federal investigation etc.
    ...to have a state appointed emergency finacial manager in charge if its' school system.
    ...to be facing a budget deficit in the hundreds of millions range.
    ...to have more people moving out that into it year after year.
    ...to have a HS graduation rate that ranks among the worst in the nation.
    ...to have a murder rate that ranks at or near the worst in the nation.
    ...to have a jobless rate that ranks among the worst in the nation.

I could go on, and on, and on some more. Sure other cities face one or even several of these issues. But very few, if any face, all these issues and to the severe degree that detroit does. There are two school of thought concerning news stories that paint the city in a negative light. Some say "hey it's like this everywhere, why not report something positive". I reject that sentiment. I would rather that we get everything out in the open, no denial, no excuses. Let us confront the issues and begin the long process of reform. Sqabbling over numbers and using the "detroit is not the only city" argument only serves to ignore the severity and number of issues and contributes to the long slow decline
    It absolutely does matter when you are trying to measure the relative "danger" of one city against another. So please, have a coke and a smile and...... you know the rest.
    Last edited by iheartthed; June-18-09 at 02:02 PM.