Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

For decades the continued decay of the city was due to a massive decrease in population and business tax base. Much of that was caused by flight of whites, scare tactics by realtors, etc.

The residents that are now leaving are dealing with the effects of this [[as well as bad planning at the federal, state and local level).

I'm sure you're intelligent enough to understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    For decades, Detroit's politicians have blamed the woes of the City on whites and "white flight". Now, with the black population deserting Detroit for the same reasons whites left, who will they blame? It will be very interesting indeed.
    They will continue to blame racism. Going with what works, sadly.

I sometimes think the only thing that can change that is a generational change.

Buy American Guest

Unfortunately, it will be many generations before change. My children and grandchildren have been raised with no hatred in their hearts towards anyone, but sometimes life experiences dealing with different cultures make such lasting impressions on you that you form your own opinions and make your life decisions based on that.

My children and grandchildren have been raised with no hatred in their hearts towards anyone
    Given your posts I find that very hard to believe. There may not be hatred but there is likely a streak of bigotry. I also like how you qualify your statement referring to life decisions.

Why not just state, "My children and grandchildren have been raised with no hatred in their hearts towards anyone however situations with 'those people' have formed their opinions to have hatred in their hearts towards 'those people'

My money says that your children have very few, and likely no, black friends.
    Last edited by jt1; May-24-12 at 01:23 PM.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Given your posts I find that very hard to believe. There may not be hatred but there is likely a streak of bigotry. I also like how you qualify your statement referring to life decisions.

Why not just state, "My children and grandchildren have been raised with no hatred in their hearts towards anyone however situations with 'those people' have formed their opinions to have hatred in their hearts towards 'those people'

My money says that your children have very few, and likely no, black friends.
    ....and, given your posts I can understand why you choose to twist peoples' words to make them how you want them. I would bet that you and I could never live next door to each other because you feel you are always right and you have a very racist attitude towards whites.
    Incidentally, some of my best friends are black. I forgive you for the unintelligent remarks.

....and, given your posts I can understand why you choose to twist peoples' words to make them how you want them. I would bet that you and I could never live next door to each other because you feel you are always right and you have a very racist attitude towards whites.
    Incidentally, some of my best friends are black. I forgive you for the unintelligent remarks.
    Call me racist all you want [[even though I am white). Seeing that most of your posts are pointing out that 'those people' ruined the city or 'those people' are animals [[unless it is a white granny then she gets your sympathy). Your posting history makes your view of the black community very clear whether you claim to have black friends or not.

We wouldn't get along as neigbors simply because I have little tolerance for comments about 'those people'.

No worries about eh unintelligent remarks. I'm more than happy to compare academic and professional accomplishments. Although I will commend firefighters for their bravery and the service they perform daily we all know that being a firefighter doesn't require the most intelligent people in the world [[Certainly the some of the bravest and hard working though).

Well, G-d bless them for befriending someone with such a bigoted world view.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Well, G-d bless them for befriending someone with such a bigoted world view.
    He has many black friends. He just doesn't want them living in his neighborhood.

Granted I can also make a claim here that I am a billionaire but it doesn't make it so.

Wow, jt1, nice way to show your true colors and take it to the school yard and try to get a lick in on Buy Amer, while he can defend himself, your comment about the level of intelligence it takes to become a firefighter is very telling about your self obsorbed superiority. Hopefully that won't blur your feelings towards them as they are pulling you or your loved one from a burning building or auto accident! You must feel pretty good about yourself walking the earth knowing you are more intelligent than a Detroit City Firefighter and the rest of us mere mortals. That comment makes me sick to my stomach.
    Last edited by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83; May-25-12 at 09:29 AM.

BTW, I'd love to know where you grew up, because if it wasn't on the streets of Detroit than you are ill prepared to comment on flight from the city regardless of color.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Hypestyles, could you explain to us all why "multicultural diversity" is "needed"? Is something missing on both sides of 8 mile as you state, what is the benefit to the current residents, is it going to help the economy, sounds like you are into the whole social engineering thing.
    indeed, I am a budding social-ist.. broadly speaking, I think that metro detroit would be in better shape if more people knew/lived next door to/worked with/ people who didn't look/dress/cook/worship/listen to music/ exactly like them.. but beyond any ethnic demographics, there needs to be a drastic increase in local educational resources, health care, tax reform, entrepreneurship resources, diverse regional industry [way beyond autos] and a prioritizing of greenspace development- people have to rise above thinking that smokestacks & smog= civilization..

White guy and a supporter of Affirmative Action. Made it easier for minorities to go to college, get better jobs, and move to safer areas with better schools. Their children have a better chance at succeeding because of it. Black folks aren't inherently bad or criminal. Black folks are more likely to be struggling and impoverished. Catalysts for desperation and crime

Wow, jt1, nice way to show your true colors and take it to the school yard and try to get a lick in on Buy Amer, while he can defend himself, your comment about the level of intelligence it takes to become a firefighter is very telling about your superiority. Hopefully that won't blur your feelings towards them as they are pulling you from a burning building or auto accident! It must feel pretty good walking the earth knowing you are more intelligent than a Detroit City Firefighter. That comment make me sick to my stomach.
    I'm not stating that no firefighters are intelligent. I am stating it does not take the smartest people to become firefighters. I also commended [[and have done so many times) firefighters for the great work they do and the bravery it must take to do it.

Now, if you really want to call out playground bs you should call out Buy American for his 'unintelligent' comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    indeed, I am a budding social-ist.. broadly speaking, I think that metro detroit would be in better shape if more people knew/lived next door to/worked with/ people who didn't look/dress/cook/worship/listen to music/ exactly like them.. but beyond any ethnic demographics, there needs to be a drastic increase in local educational resources, health care, tax reform, entrepreneurship resources, diverse regional industry [way beyond autos] and a prioritizing of greenspace development- people have to rise above thinking that smokestacks & smog= civilization..
    Perfectly stated. The generalizations would go away if races, ages and ethnicities intermingled more often.

Buy American Guest

Wow, jt1, nice way to show your true colors and take it to the school yard and try to get a lick in on Buy Amer, while he can defend himself, your comment about the level of intelligence it takes to become a firefighter is very telling about your superiority. Hopefully that won't blur your feelings towards them as they are pulling you from a burning building or auto accident! It must feel pretty good walking the earth knowing you are more intelligent than a Detroit City Firefighter. That comment make me sick to my stomach.
    Thanks Eastside, I appreciate the post. jt1 has always had a thorn up his/her a$$ and has always been quick to puff up when talking about how much education or comparing academic credentials with me. In some cases, I've found that when dealing with someone like jt, I realize that many so-called educated people can only discuss what they got out of books...whereas, in many cases, it takes common sense, which jt doesn't seem to have. jt's insults regarding the firefighters and their lack of intelligence just shows how his mind works and because of where he is coming from, I have to let some things go. jt just showed his true colors, whether black or white.

Thanks again for your support.

BTW, I'd love to know where you grew up, because if it wasn't on the streets of Detroit than you are ill prepared to comment on flight from the city regardless of color.
    Grew up in the city and have lived in the city the vast majority of my life. Are you implying that BA is correct in claiming that white people only left because 'those people' forced them to or destroyed the neighborhoods.

Thanks Eastside, I appreciate the post. jt1 has always had a thorn up his/her a$$ and has always been quick to puff up when talking about how much education or comparing academic credentials with me. In some cases, I've found that when dealing with someone like jt, I realize that many so-called educated people can only discuss what they got out of books...whereas, in many cases, it takes common sense, which jt doesn't seem to have. jt's insults regarding the firefighters and their lack of intelligence just shows how his mind works and because of where he is coming from, I have to let some things go. jt just showed his true colors, whether black or white.

Thanks again for your support.
    Funny that you claim you are above getting in the mud [[and Eastside defends you) but you are certain that you know me [[someone like jt) and what I have/have not lived through.

You then to claim my common sense is lacking because I call out your hypocrisy and bigotry. Nowhere did I say firefighters lack intelligence. I stated that it does not take a ton of intelligence to get the job as a firefighter. Big difference. I am sure there are a number of very intelligent firefighters out there.

Of course, you ignore the fact that you are the first to call me unintelligent, ignorant, etc. Then you get indignant when I ask if you would like to compare our academic credentials.

Quit throwing around the names I will quit responding in kind. So you are saying you know everything about me, my experiences, what I have learned and how I learned it because I respond to your name calling.

Jt1
    Both White and African Americans left the city for a better life for themselves and their children. You used the term "those people" who are you describing? Folks left the city they loved because their city became a dangerous and inhospitable place to live and raise a family. I know this because I lived through it from the 60s into the 90's, every single member of my extended family was a victim of crime both violent and property loss. One can only take so much, I still have an aunt and uncle [[retired firefighter) who still reside in the city [[EEV) I worry about them everyday.

Jt1
    Both White and African Americans left the city for a better life for themselves and their children. You used the term "those people" who are you describing? Folks left the city they loved because their city became a dangerous and inhospitable place to live and raise a family. I know this because I lived through it from the 60s into the 90's, every single member of my extended family was a victim of crime both violent and property loss. One can only take so much, I still have an aunt and uncle [[retired firefighter) who still reside in the city [[EEV) I worry about them everyday.
    Agreed that both white and black have left the city for a better life. I use the term 'those people' because BA uses it often. That is one of the things that is frustrating. He continues to state 'those people' ruined the city or 'those people' are thugs/animals, etc but takes no responsibility for his generalizations.

I agree people have and continue to leave the city for a better life, better schools, etc however when people like BA imply or straight out claim that 'those people' ruined the city they are either being naive, disingenuous or racist without taking the entire history of flight, racism, block busting, freeway destruction of black/ethnic neighborhoods into account.

Additionally, to blame people that currently live in the city for all the current ills of the city is absolutely ridiculous. Stating that if they just swept their sidewalk the city would turn around is ridiculous.

Black people that are leaving the city now are doing so due to conditions in the city now. The city's current condition is due to 60 years of poor decision making, failed government [[both black and white), a massive flight of tax base and population [[which was initially predominately white).

Ignoring that and blaming 'those people' is just silly. You know better and I suspect understand it very well. BA will just continue to blame the black people that moved into Mayberry.

Agreed that both white and black have left the city for a better life. I use the term 'those people' because BA uses it often. That is one of the things that is frustrating. He continues to state 'those people' ruined the city or 'those people' are thugs/animals, etc but takes no responsibility for his generalizations.
    No, the new code word is "diversity":

As soon as the "influx of diversity" [[as some on this forum are using that term) started moving in, the old ladies left out of complete fear and the rest of us stayed until we could no longer cope. I stayed until retirement because I was forced to live within the City limits and had no choice. It's just hard to comprehend why the majority of us live like human beings, respecting each other, keeping our homes and surroundings clean and neat, while others come in and shit where they live and live in the shit.
    The "diversity" ruined his city. And he's also bitter because his diverse set of bosses forced* him to live within city limits until he was no longer on their payroll.

*Well, he could have quit and got another job but he's clearly entitled to be on the city of Detroit's payroll AND be choosy about which rules he should be forced to follow.

Jt1
    I live in EEV and it is fine and safe. We're not serving in Iraq, here. You suburbanites can talk shit like this all day long but if I say I think Warren is a miserable place you're all over it like flies on shit. Such a double-standard.

And if you deny that white flight as a historical phenomenon did not happen then you're ignorant of history. Just because someone lived through World War II doesn't make them an expert on it.

I'm not stating that no firefighters are intelligent. I am stating it does not take the smartest people to become firefighters. I also commended [[and have done so many times) firefighters for the great work they do and the bravery it must take to do it.

Now, if you really want to call out playground bs you should call out Buy American for his 'unintelligent' comment.
    nah, you just hate union employees...

People here are always worrying about the ones who "left" and why they left [[assume racism).

I grew up in Detroit and my parents moved away in the mid-70's. They moved away largely because all the small [[non-prep) Catholic schools closed when proposition A for funding failed. They could not send my skinny little brothers to Denby and they couldn't afford a Austin. i was already attending college in another City and shouldn't be accused of racism.

They left because of the schools. Other neighbors died or were widowed and moved to smaller, less complicated housing in suburbs. Many of my friends went away to college and married someone from far away. Others took jobs in distant states and countries. My uncles who both had homes on the east-side worked for the auto industry and one was transferred to Mexico and the other to Kentucky. Their families went with them. Another uncle retired to Florida.

The emptying of Detroit is assumed to be for racist reasons, but my own personal experience is that it was more complicated than that. The big question - and the one no one addresses - is why hardly anyone ever moved TO Detroit after the 1970's?

When the Japanese started to move to this region after the Mazda plant arrived - why didn't they come to Detroit and move into the beautiful neighborhoods [[Indian Village, Palmer Woods, etc.)? Racism or maybe because Japanese executive prefer new construction?

Why didn't all the young graduates of Wayne State Medical School, many of whom took jobs with the several excellent health systems here, move into the City? By now, after 30 years, they would number in the thousands. Why aren't all the people who never moved here accused of racism and decimating the city?

After all, Boston continues to have people move in. I assume even Baltimore has people move in because isn't Detroit the city that is the "emptiest?"
    Last edited by SWMAP; May-24-12 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    The emptying of Detroit is assumed to be for racist reasons, but my own personal experience is that it was more complicated than that. The big question - and the one no one addresses - is why hardly anyone ever moved TO Detroit after the 1970's?
    I 100% agree. This is EXACTLY the question everyone should be asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    nah, you just hate union employees...
    Not the employees, just the unions. And I wouldn't even say I hate the unions, I hate some of the actions of the unions. I guess that is another thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast