Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Well that sums up the Crane masterpiece Detroit and St. Louis Fox Theatre's.

Crane's last downtown Detroit venue that could use a resurrection is the Detroit United Artists. Ditto for Albert Kahn's only theatre work.. the 1910 National Theatre near Campus Martius.

The number of theatre's nationally that are still dying a slow death is quite a few. This website gives a view of a large number of small and large venues. The Loew's King's Theatre [[where Barbra Streisand used to usher at age 19), is slated for a $70 million restoration, and some other smaller houses in decent condition may or may not survive... but we can always hope!

http://afterthefinalcurtain.net/

Before going off to England in 1930, here's some info I dug up on Crane during his 1905-30 stay in metro Detroit...

----------------
    1905-1909 - Crane worked for both Albert Kahn and Smith Hinchman & Grylls.

1909-1910 - Crane worked in Windsor with architect James Watt.

1910-1914 - Crane worked in Windsor with architect J. C. Pennington.

1914-1920 - Crane moved his offices in the Dime Building.

1920-1926 - Crane moved his offices to the Huron Building, which is located where the Guardian Building is today. That building came down in 1927 for the Guardian Building.

1926-1930 - Crane moved his offices to the top 2 floors of the Michigan Building.

1930-onward - Crane moved his office to London England, but kept his Detroit office open as well. He would come back for annual visits.
    -----------------

Note: with Crane's considerable time spent in offices n Windsor, it may account for the fact that he was the principal architect for the Allen Circuit of Theatres across Canada.
    Last edited by Gistok; June-10-12 at 11:41 PM.

I got some conflicting information on Crane... most sources list 1930 as the year in which Crane moved to London, but [[thanks to Andrew in Windsor) this Windsor Star article lists Crane's move to England as 1935.

I tend to think the the truth lies somewhere in between. Perhaps Crane first opened an office in London in 1930, and traveled back and forth between Detroit and London for several years until his London commissions took up more of his time, and he spent much more time there than in Detroit.

This article is a treasure trove of information on Crane's main claim to fame in the UK.. his 1937 design for Earls Court Convention Hall, as well as some of his lesser known UK commissions...

http://internationalmetropolis.com/1...0-ws-crane.pdf
    Last edited by Gistok; June-11-12 at 12:06 AM.

Gistok great work!

Earls Court Convention Centre...

C. Howard Crane's largest UK commission was the Earls Court Exhibition Centre of 1937. From WWI until 1935, 18 architects said that a massive building atop the rail lines and 4 Underground Tubes could not be built.

But Crane provided the answers, and as was seen in the previous Windsor Star Newspaper article, he succeeded to much acclaim.

Earls Court was a convention and arena complex that could seat 25,000 for shows with removable seating... or host large conventions on the flat flooring.

Earls Court hosted hundreds of conventions over the years, as well as numerous famous rock and pop concert shows.

The center will hold the 2012 Olympics volleyball tournaments. However, there is a lot of bickering going on, because the owners of the Earls Court, Earls Court II [[a mid 20th century arched massive addition), and the nearby Earls Court Hotel are planned for demolition in 2014 for 8,000 housing units.

The historic preservationists in England are up in arms over this, and the entire drama is now playing itself out.

1) Earls Court I was built by C. Howard Crane in 1937 on a most difficult site. In this aerial view the triangular complex is on the right [[with Earls Court II and the hotel to its' left). The main entrance to Earls Court is on the far right [[not visible in this aerial).
    2) The main entrance of Earls Court in an Art Moderne style.
    3) The south entrance of Earls Court [[the north entrance looks nearly identical).
    4) The arched Earls Court II [[not by Crane) and hotel tower.
    5) The interior in the 1940s showing a trade show and the mammoth ceiling of Earls Court.
    6) Another 1940s image of a convention.
    Attached Images Attached Images            

Whether or not Earls Court remains in London after the 2012 Olympics is still in doubt.

Here is an interesting story and history about Earls Court, including construction images, expansion, and the long list of performers who had concerts there [[The Who, Led Zeppelin, Elton John, Madonna, et al)...

http://www.eco.co.uk/p/earls-court/21

Although the 1930s were the heyday of British "cinema's" [[while the 1920s were the heyday in the USA), Britain too has suffered greatly from the closure and destruction of many old movie houses.

Among Crane's UK cinema's here is an image of the design for his Granada Cinema in Greenwich, and the lobby stairs of his Odeon Cinema in Halloway [[the auditorium was destroyed in a WWII air strike, and was rebuilt in a modern style long after Crane passed away in 1952).

... long gone are the over the top designs of American 1920s movie houses, and their exotic interiors...
    Last edited by Gistok; June-14-12 at 04:44 PM.

This thread has pretty much run its' course. But here's a very nice website that has hundreds and hundreds of old theatre and opera house images [[and a few very old DYES broken links! ) that were built by architects from around the world...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1049799

There are still a few Crane commissions around town as well as a few lost but still cherished theatres. I would like to hear Gistok's history on some of his smaller theatres in the area. I also just found another home designed by Crane in Grosse Pointe will post tomorrow.

Fine Arts Theatre 2954 Woodward Avenue built in 1913 Brush Park Histoirc District Detroit, MI.

An image of the Fine Arts Theatre from a 1916 issue of Western Architect.

Esquire Theatre 15327 East Jefferson built in 1938 Grosse Pointe Park, MI. Demolished in 1988.

I have been to the Earl's Court stadium, I was there in 1997, my then girlfriend, now wife scored tickets to "the Royal Tournement" a show of military precision and skill that later turned into a WWF sort of affair. We saw Queen Elizabeth that night, she made an appearance and kicked off the festivities. This Rolls-Royce the color and finish of a brown shoe came out from back stage, and QE got out, The audience rose and snag "God save the queen" to her. When I walked in I remarked to m'lady that "this looks like a huge version of Olympia"

One of Crane's last commissions before he passed away in 1952.

251 Cloverly built in 1952 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI.

Gistok I found these images the other day.

Thanks for all the images p69.... great history there. It's interesting to see how the Lafayette Building looked before the mid 20th century remodeling of the first few floors. Also interesting to see the use of Crane's buildings in other advertisements.

But what really excited me was the Roosevelt Theatre [[1917) in Chicago.... it was very beautiful on the inside.

Theatre Historical Society mentioned in their 1995 MARQUEE magazine about the Capitol Theatre... they said the Roosevelt Theatre was very similar to Detroit's Capitol Theatre, but on a smaller scale [[1700 seats for Roosevelt, 3,400 for Capitol). This was the first time I've ever seen an image of the inside of the Roosevelt, and although it's auditorium shape [[with large arched sounding board above the stage) is similar, the treatment of the ornate plaster was very different. Also, the Roosevelt had box seats under the organ grilles, something that the Capitol never had. But still a sad loss for Chicago, since the ceiling pattern was very beautiful.

Also interesting are the images of Cleveland's Allen Theatre. The Allen is so long, it's as though 2 theatre's were butted together, one in front of the other. The Allen Theatre chain was from Canada, and Crane was their chief architect [[remember Crane had his offices in Windsor from 1909-1915). Well the Allen chain was going to expand into the USA with theatres in Cleveland and Detroit, but only the Cleveland house was actually built in 1921. By 1923 the Allen Theatre chain had overextended itself in Canada, and went bankrupt.

Also, in an earlier post on this thread, the Allen [[part of Cleveland's Playhouse Square) was undergoing a $32 million "shrinking" where they are going to leave all the ornate plasterwork in place, but put in 3 smaller venuse inside the shell... with views of Crane's ornate work from certain areas in the smaller theatre spaces. An abomination if you ask me, but at least what they're doing can be reversed at some point in the future.

Thanks again for your finds!!

God I wish the Roosevelt still stood. Block 37 redevelopment was always a bad idea then, and continues to falter to this day.

p69, you gotta love some of the slogans used back in the early 20th century, and how humorous they are today. The 2nd image is of a Cement Company [[COCO) ad... and although they show one of Crane's designs... their comment "much depends on a skillful erection"..... is one of the funniest slogans to date!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    p69, you gotta love some of the slogans used back in the early 20th century, and how humorous they are today. The 2nd image is of a Cement Company [[COCO) ad... and although they show one of Crane's designs... their comment "much depends on a skillful erection"..... is one of the funniest slogans to date!
    And how the meaning of a word has evolved over time.

Gistok this theatre was not designed by Crane, but I thought you would like the images.

Thanks P69.... I was in there with Preservation Wayne in 2000 when we cleaned out the fallen plasterwork. Sadly so much of the tame plaster ceiling and walls are gone [[worse than the United Artists)... that it would likely get a new interior, if restored. But the facade and Pewabic Pottery small lobby are worth keeping. And this was Albert Kahn's only [[as built) theatre... although the Bonstelle is mostly his work.

There was one other Kahn designed theatre in the city. The Jefferson was located at 11008 East Jefferson was built in 1914 closed in the 1940's and razed shortly afterwards. If anyone has an image of the Jefferson I would appreciate it if you could post it here.

Gistok more Crane stuff for you.

Gistok I found this info on the Music Box Theatre

Thanks for keeping this thread open p69... I've been rather busy with health and other issues this summer [[although I did do the August Theatre Tours by Preservation Detroit). Glad you've been able to find some more material.

I did talk with the Detroit Opera House in-house tour guides during the theatre tours, as well as Karen DiChiera. And they were absolutely amazed when I told them that I discovered images that showed that the 19 opera boxes [[only 17 are in use) on the mezzanine/loge level of the Detroit Opera House... are not held up from the main floor, but actually suspended via beams from the balcony level above. There are only 2 columns from the main flour [[back of house left and right) that provide some minor support from below [[the mezzanine bridge in the middle of the Grand Foyer provides no support). But the major support holding up the mezzanine level is the 18 beams that come down from the balcony level.

Before the Capitol Theatre became the Detroit Opera House... the main floor and mezzanine were always completely open to the Grand Foyer [[no walls or doors).

Here's an image that shows the prototype Grand Foyer... but it gives us an indication of the lack of mezzanine support from below....

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/attachm...3&d=1337533510

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks for keeping this thread open p69... I've been rather busy with health and other issues this summer [[although I did do the August Theatre Tours by Preservation Detroit). Glad you've been able to find some more material.

I did talk with the Detroit Opera House in-house tour guides during the theatre tours, as well as Karen DiChiera. And they were absolutely amazed when I told them that I discovered images that showed that the 19 opera boxes [[only 17 are in use) on the mezzanine/loge level of the Detroit Opera House... are not held up from the main floor, but actually suspended via beams from the balcony level above. There are only 2 columns from the main flour [[back of house left and right) that provide some minor support from below [[the mezzanine bridge in the middle of the Grand Foyer provides no support). But the major support holding up the mezzanine level is the 18 beams that come down from the balcony level.

Before the Capitol Theatre became the Detroit Opera House... the main floor and mezzanine were always completely open to the Grand Foyer [[no walls or doors).

Here's an image that shows the prototype Grand Foyer... but it gives us an indication of the lack of mezzanine support from below....

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/attachm...3&d=1337533510
    YW! Anytime I find anything on Crane I try to post it.

On December 28, 1895 Auguste and Louis Lumiere hosted the first public movie screening at Le Salon Indien du Grand Cafe in Paris. Films screened that day were:

1. La Sortie de l'Usine Lumière à Lyon [[literally, "the exit from the Lumière factory in Lyon", or, under its more common English title, Workers Leaving the Lumiere Factory), 46 seconds
    2. La Voltige [["Horse Trick Riders"), 46 seconds
    3. La Pêche aux poissons rouges [["fishing for goldfish"), 42 seconds
    4. Le Débarquement du Congrès de Photographie à Lyon [["the disembarkment of the Congress of Photographers in Lyon"), 48 seconds
    5. Les Forgerons [["Blacksmiths"), 49 seconds
    6. Le Jardinier [[l'Arroseur Arrosé) [["The Gardener," or "The Sprinkler Sprinkled"), 49 seconds
    7. Repas de bébé [["Baby's Breakfast" [[lit. "baby's meal")), 41 seconds
    8. Le Saut à la couverture [["Jumping Onto the Blanket"), 41 seconds
    9. La Places des Cordeliers à Lyon [["Cordeliers Square in Lyon"—a street scene), 44 seconds
    10. La Mer [[Baignade en mer) [["the sea [bathing in the sea]"), 38 seconds

Well I'm glad you bumped this thread p69 [[although not quite sure why... yet)...

But I just got an DYES private message from an American living in London, about Earls Court... the mid 1930s built convention center [[later expanded) designed by C. Howard Crane, and was his largest and most prominent UK commission.

It seems [[and this has been a struggle for some time)... that the venue used for the 2012 London Olympic Volleyball games, and countless famous star rock concerts [[and regular conventions for decades)... is slated for demolition in order to put up "8000 flats" [[apartment units) on the site of the center, which is located over railroad tracks and subway lines.

Here is the message:
    ---------------------------
    Hello,
    I am an American living in London and am appalled that C. Howard Crane's Earls Court Exhibition Center may be destroyed so greedy developers can build thousands of cheap apartments. The Exhibition Center was built in 1935 and is an iconic, world-renowned site which has hosted rock concerts [[Stones, Madonna, Pink Floyd, etc) as well as the Olympics [[twice), thousands of exhibitions and was a military blimp training center in WW II.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesi...tre-demolition

We are mounting a petition to try to stop the razing and I was hoping there was a C. Howard Crane Society or other architecural groups we could reach out to for support or ideas. Could you please advise?
    thank you
    Sherry Kernan
    ------------------------------

Sadly land prices are so thru the roof in central London, that many landmarks are in peril of demolition [[not a Detroit phenomenon... but at least there they have other plans for the site)... and they are trying to get some support from Crane's home base here in Detroit.

I've notified the folks at Preservation Detroit, and Detroit Area Art Deco Society, but not sure what more I can do, except if some of you wish to send support or comments to London based newspapers.

56packman, the only Detroit YESer that I know has been to Earls Court, mentioned in this thread that Earls Court looks like a huge version of Detroit's Olympia Arena... a sad loss.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast