Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
I don't want this to go off topic, but unless the definition of "liberal" has changed since I've last heard its definition on the current political spectrum, with all due respect I think you're quite delusional for reaching that conclusion.

Moderate, I can accept [[loosely), but liberal, no...
Liberal is one of those words whose meaning has been different as I've moved about in different circles...

When I was at the University of Michigan, liberal was generally about social progressivism...womens' rights, sex-positive philosophy, decriminalization of marijuana, affirmative action, the acceptance of gay lifestyle as part of the mainstream, etc. Some environmental awareness.

When I moved back into Detroit, being liberal was much more about being anti-establishmentarian. "Fighting the man". "The 99%". There was definitely a more militant and combative stance. A very intense -- bordering on delusional -- zealotry about the strength of unions.

Personally, I've always considered myself liberal in my vision, but emphasizing the need to use conservative means to liberal ends, if you will.

So would I consider Snyder "liberal"? Not sure I'm there yet. But I would call him "liberal-friendly". But I don't see most Detroiters as liberal, either. I see them as radical...still fighting wars from 40-50 years ago.