Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Downtown's daytime population is something like 90,000 people.
    See my subsequent post...

The crime rates in Detroit are absolutely better today that they were 20 years ago... If we're comparing just the numbers for Detroit today versus Detroit 20 years ago and nothing else. Now if you compare Detroit today relative to other major cities then no Detroit hasn't gotten better because many other large cities had better improvements in their reported crime stats.

Now whether the reported crime stats say a damn thing about how safe a city is is probably a really good discussion to have. I'm not any more inclined to believe that New York is safer than Des Moines than I am to believe that Russia has an corruption-free electoral process.

I also have serious reservations about how standardized the method of reporting stats to the FBI is between major cities. And if that isn't completely apples-to-apples then comparing city crime stats is meaningless.

Let's see, an ex police chief and a well known pastor get robbed this week in broad daylight.
    Oh yeah, things are getting much better!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2