Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Quite a few years back, convenience stores had problems with undesirables hanging around [[in the days before cell phones, the public telephones were their base of operations).

The convenience stores began to blast classical music bot inside the store and in the parking lot. Lots of complaints to the newspapers and televisions that the convenience stores were being "racist" and "culturally insensitive". Maybe gas stations need to start blasting operas and symphonies around their premises.
    LOL They would get my business. I love classical music, event donate to WRCJ. What drives me nutz and makes sure I never come back are those stations that bomb us with commercials while we pump gas. "Just shoot me now."

Ironically self-serve may be part of the blame. Most of you will not remember this but how many kids don't have the thousands of jobs that existed up until the 1970's of pumping your gas, cleaning your windows and checking your oil and tires?

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post

I would get gas at that station any time of day or night. But I am not covered in gold purchased with money donated by people of modest means. Nor do I drive a giant purple Lexus luxury SUV.
    For the record [[no pun intended) Pastor Winans is an accomplished gospel singer. He doesn't need to purchase his gold with money donated by people of modest means.
    From the Free Press
    Winans' newest recording -- "Let the Church Say Amen" -- was listed on Billboard.com this week as the nation's top gospel recording.
    www.freep.com/article/20120517/NEWS01/205170746/Pastor-recalls-gas-station-attack?odyssey=obinsite

[QUOTE=Buy American;320424]You go from one extreme to another.

When I grew up in Detroit, attending Detroit schools, my family didn't have a pot to pi$$ in. We got by with basics and made do with what we had. I went to school because my parents told me that's what I was supposed to do. I respected my teachers and my neighbors because my parents instilled that in me. I respected the police in my neighborhood because my parents said that they were there for me whenever I needed hellp and I should always try to stay out of trouble. No one handed me a thing. No gold-plated education, we never took charity or welfare, our food was tasty, no matter what was in front of us and we either went on to college on our own dime or tried our hardest for scholarships.

We can have decent police protection without having a police state. I am not talking about the police shooting because they don't like the way you looked at them.QUOTE]

Isn't this ideal what Detroitnerd was advocating? Everyone have the opportunity to get a decent education and find a job that can support a family?

I can only guess, but I wouldn't imagine most of these kids nowadays see much of a future waiting for them.

And while you respected the police and thought they were there to help you, you also always are saying bring STRESS back. When STRESS was in place they weren't exactly out there trying to make the black youth feel safe.

Buy American Guest

[QUOTE=Kevgoblue;320479]
    Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    You go from one extreme to another.

When I grew up in Detroit, attending Detroit schools, my family didn't have a pot to pi$$ in. We got by with basics and made do with what we had. I went to school because my parents told me that's what I was supposed to do. I respected my teachers and my neighbors because my parents instilled that in me. I respected the police in my neighborhood because my parents said that they were there for me whenever I needed hellp and I should always try to stay out of trouble. No one handed me a thing. No gold-plated education, we never took charity or welfare, our food was tasty, no matter what was in front of us and we either went on to college on our own dime or tried our hardest for scholarships.

We can have decent police protection without having a police state. I am not talking about the police shooting because they don't like the way you looked at them.QUOTE]

Isn't this ideal what Detroitnerd was advocating? Everyone have the opportunity to get a decent education and find a job that can support a family?

I can only guess, but I wouldn't imagine most of these kids nowadays see much of a future waiting for them.

And while you respected the police and thought they were there to help you, you also always are saying bring STRESS back. When STRESS was in place they weren't exactly out there trying to make the black youth feel safe.
    Yes, I would like to bring S.T.R.E.S.S. back. Right now, the black youth in Detroit are not making anyone feel safe and I think the black youth in Detroit have done much more damage than any Police Unit ever did in the history of Detroit. Detroit wasn't breaking records in the number of murders committed by thugs when S.T.R.E.S.S. was in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    What, so people of color aren't supposed to be able to enjoy classical music and other culturally upscale things?
    The "people of color" that enjoy those things are not the ones loitering in the parking lots of convenience stores>

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It really isn't.

Americans would have to adjust their lifestyles and a few defense contractors would have to lose their contracts, but we can certainly afford the things Detroitnerd listed.

But most Americans are too narrow-minded and self-asorbed to see beyond the next penny they earn.

Yeah, it may cost a few extra pennies, but the value of having a quality of life for you and fellow citizens outweighs the few extra pennies that one must initially put in IMO.
    I'll bet you that the people involved in the carjacking came from single parent homes, their father had very little involvement with them if any, and their mother had them at a very young age. Also they're probably high school dropouts and they're parents weren't involved in their education. Probably wouldn't know what a PTA meeting is let alone attended one.

The lifestyle adjustments needs to come from the screwing up end. They're the ones that are narrow-minded and self-absorbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    For the record [[no pun intended) Pastor Winans is an accomplished gospel singer. He doesn't need to purchase his gold with money donated by people of modest means.
    From the Free Press

www.freep.com/article/20120517/NEWS01/205170746/Pastor-recalls-gas-station-attack?odyssey=obinsite
    Thank you, for bringing some sense to this thread! It is very disheartening that the people on this board are so viciously ripping this man's image apart, when they don't know ANYTHING about him, his wealth or his origins!

He was raised in Detroit, educated in Detroit Public Schools attending Hampton Middle School and graduating from Mumford High School! My family attended school with the Winans! He is one of the few celebrities that still calls Detroit CITY, [[not the burbs) home because he actually lives within city limits. He is also dedicated to the youth of this city. He even opened a school located in Detroit called the Marvin L. Winans Academy. He also still has lots of family here.

If you people on this board took a little time to educate yourselves on subjects, and people that you are not familiar with before passing judgement, people [[Black Detroiters specifically) would be more accepting of your passion for the City and regional cooperation. I bet if this had happened to Dan Gilbert, you wouldn't be saying anything about his display of wealth. Marvin Winans was a multi-milionaire celebrity before he was a pastor. He has worked with some of the biggest named in the entertainment business including Michael Jackson, therefore he is very much entitled to spend his money however the hell he pleases!

The "people of color" that enjoy those things are not the ones loitering in the parking lots of convenience stores>
    How about the colorless folk that loiter in parking lots?

SteveJ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Well you aren't going to see too many Caucasian or Asian people loitering in parking lots in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Well you aren't going to see too many Caucasian or Asian people loitering in parking lots in Detroit.
    Asian people are people of color.

DE-TROYED.

I once walked by a trailer park on the northside of eight mile rd.
    The music I heard was the twangy twerpy sound of banjo'd,
    I thought how delightful the strains of Appalachia had gravitated
    toward me unsullen, so pure.

The banjo and the fiddle and the screeching bluegrass of yore
    stridently seared my ear canal to a level unknown
    Like Gannon, I could no longer stand the hum; the african instrument
    tweaked itself into a downriver beat, restored its origins to a tone.
    A couple of white trash axed me "where the nearest liquor store?"
    All I could answer was, the wig shop, the party store, the Coney Island;
    wherever you go, you will find one, like a dog its bone...

Quote Originally Posted by De'troiter View Post
    He is one of the few celebrities that still calls Detroit CITY, [[not the burbs) home because he actually lives within city limits.
    Marvin Winans lives in Bloomfield Hills, off Lone Pine Rd. Or maybe he has multiple homes? That would certainly be possible. But he definitely resides at least part-time near family members of mine, and can be seen regularly walking.
    He is also dedicated to the youth of this city. He even opened a school located in Detroit called the Marvin L. Winans Academy.
    I don't doubt that he's a good guy, but charter schools are generally for-profit. It isn't necessarily indicative of charitableness.

IMO his relative wealth or committment to the community are irrelevent. The focus should be on the thugs. Really the only way his prominence matters is how it resulted in quick arrests.

Word from my folks in the ghetto that the carjackers who hang out the Citgo corner gas station were members of the Linwood Boys. They will loiter in that area, look for some victim a fancy car and jack it.

Thank you, for bringing some sense to this thread! It is very disheartening that the people on this board are so viciously ripping this man's image apart, when they don't know ANYTHING about him, his wealth or his origins!

He was raised in Detroit, educated in Detroit Public Schools attending Hampton Middle School and graduating from Mumford High School! My family attended school with the Winans! He is one of the few celebrities that still calls Detroit CITY, [[not the burbs) home because he actually lives within city limits. He is also dedicated to the youth of this city. He even opened a school located in Detroit called the Marvin L. Winans Academy. He also still has lots of family here.

If you people on this board took a little time to educate yourselves on subjects, and people that you are not familiar with before passing judgement, people [[Black Detroiters specifically) would be more accepting of your passion for the City and regional cooperation. I bet if this had happened to Dan Gilbert, you wouldn't be saying anything about his display of wealth. Marvin Winans was a multi-milionaire celebrity before he was a pastor. He has worked with some of the biggest named in the entertainment business including Michael Jackson, therefore he is very much entitled to spend his money however the hell he pleases!
    Sorry but I'm almost 99% certain that most of the Winans live in Oakland County! Not sure about Mom and Pops but Marvin and most of the siblings and their families are definitely NOT in Detroit! They probably have homes there for show, but if they own homes in Bloomfield Hills and Southfield and Farmington Hills - which one do you think they really call home? They probably do photoshoots in Detroit, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    Sorry but I'm almost 99% certain that most of the Winans live in Oakland County! Not sure about Mom and Pops but Marvin and most of the siblings and their families are definitely NOT in Detroit! They probably have homes there for show, but if they own homes in Bloomfield Hills and Southfield and Farmington Hills - which one do you think they really call home? They probably do photoshoots in Detroit, lol.
    Excuse me Detwa, but in the live interview with WXYZ, Marvin Winans clearly stated "I'm from Detroit, I LIVE IN Detroit, I love Detroit" I am certain that he knows where he lives! But anyway that doesn't matter, what matters is that a crime happened. While you are using your time to check my facts, why don't you check the facts of the other posters that are accusing him of being a low-life, money sucking, gaudy pastor of a dirt poor flock, which is the complete opposite of what this man is. Pastor Winans is an upstanding, dignified man of God, and a true asset to Detroit, and I refuse to be silent while people continue to attack his integrity!
    http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...bed-in-detroit

"I'm from Detroit, I LIVE IN Detroit, I love Detroit"
    Anita Baker and Enimen say the same thing.

Guess where they actually live?

I'm from Detroit. I love Detroit. I live in Las Vegas. I ain't no dummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    Also, I forgot to mention if you really knew as much as you were claiming to know, you would know that Pops Winans isn't living anywhere on Earth seing as how he has been DEAD for quite some time...lol smh..So yes you are correct Pop Winans does not live in Detroit, I heard that he is actually living behind those big beautiful pearly gates of HEAVEN! Thats a long ways from Detroit and Oakland County isn't it....lol

Generally, in areas where most of the people are white and you have the local white thugs loitering some place, classical music works just as well as bug spray to get rid of the cockroaches.

Generally, in areas where most of the people are white and you have the local white thugs loitering some place, classical music works just as well as bug spray to get rid of the cockroaches.
    I thought Don Corleone didnt mind Caruso singing Don Giovanni, but I suppose I am too cliché.

Also, I forgot to mention if you really knew as much as you were claiming to know, you would know that Pops Winans isn't living anywhere on Earth seing as how he has been DEAD for quite some time...lol smh..So yes you are correct Pop Winans does not live in Detroit, I heard that he is actually living behind those big beautiful pearly gates of HEAVEN! Thats a long ways from Detroit and Oakland County isn't it....lol
    LOL, okay, I said I wasn't sure about the elders, but you can believe Marvin's soundbytes or you can believe the truth. He has addresses in the Oakland suburbs, and since his church is in Detroit he HAS to pretend like that's where he lays his head every night. Just like Anthony Adams and many others of the celebs and leaders who like to yell about "I'm IN". LOL but you go right ahead believing what you see on the news! You're funny. And typical of the type that empowers these fools to keep up the entertainment.

Guess it all depends on how you define 'Detroit'.

Or Integrity.

I thought Don Corleone didnt mind Caruso singing Don Giovanni, but I suppose I am too cliché.
    Don Corleone doesn't hang around convenience stores at night either.

Big difference between a capo and the local trash.

Don Corleone doesn't hang around convenience stores at night either.

Big difference between a capo and the local trash.
    Yes when the Gottis get to wear the Rolexes and Guccis, they are no longer trash, but respectable. This is a refined world view.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I'm from Detroit. I love Detroit. I live in Las Vegas. I ain't no dummy.
    And what's the climate like in Las Vegas, and I don't mean the weather. Are there crime problems there? I'm sure not like it is here.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast