Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Thought I'd share this, as we all need a smile...

Talking to my mother about this, I asked if she knew who he is: "They have that church and sing, right? A few of the brothers also do comedy."

That's Wayans, mom. They're different.
    It's a fairly common mistake. I'm betting several folks on here confuse the Wayans and the Winans all the time.

From a comment on the Huffington Post...

nicole caron
    4 Fans

3 hours ago [[11:42 AM)
    Well I do not know if he is related to the Winans' family [[actors, directors etc...) but I have
    heard of him.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    No surprised to see this thread turn into religion bashing
    First, I don't see anyone "bashing religion". I do see a few posters sharing their opinion of what religion means to them.

If posters referring to the Pastor as a Charlatan is what you would call "religion bashing", I would disagree. Their simply telling it like it is. And I couldn't agree more with that fact that a lot of men of the cloth abuse their powers of persuasion to fatten their Louis Vuitton wallets, when [[like many have already stated) their congregation is suffering in all sorts of ways.

Would you mind if we speculated how the Pastor is able to afford such luxuries of life? Is being pastor as lucrative as it appears?

Even with the different names, I thought there was a connection between the families.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve
    If posters referring to the Pastor as a Charlatan is what you would call "religion bashing", I would disagree. Their simply telling it like it is. And I couldn't agree more with that fact that a lot of men of the cloth abuse their powers of persuasion to fatten their Louis Vuitton wallets, when [[like many have already stated) their congregation is suffering in all sorts of ways.
    Really, though, that goes back to the foundations of the Christian church - look at the Vatican! Why does the pope need an opulent palace? There's always been something fishy about the people at the top of Christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Would you mind if we speculated how the Pastor is able to afford such luxuries of life? Is being pastor as lucrative as it appears?
    Salaries are 100% tax-free, and totally dependent on the church's internal decisionmaking, so, yes, pastorship can be very lucrative.

Major mainline denominations often give pastors six-figure salaries. I assume that "prosperity theology"-type places similar to the Winans congregation give salaries well into the six-figures.

I would be very surprised if he makes less than 200k tax free, though the reality could be much, much higher.

But I don't really see how this is relevant. These kids were up to roll the next "chump" they came in contact with. I doubt a WalMart fashion sense would have made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Well, to be fair, he is also the leader singer of a very popular Gospel singing group and has several Grammy Awards. Not all of his money comes from the collection plate. However, I still think the egregious display of wealth in such a poor area is in very bad taste.

FYI and in the interest of accuracy:

The generation of Winans from which Grammy Award winning Pastor Marvin Winans hails [[and their parents before them) were acclaimed gospel artists long before Winans became a preacher. Hence, Winans should not be “dependent” upon the contributions of his “poor” church members. His recordings certainly do well enough to allow him to afford a Presidential Rolex and a SUV, if that’s his taste. Not to mention appearing in Tyler Perry shows and having a radio program, etc., etc., etc.

In fact, some people initially had an issue with the celebrity becoming a preacher, not the other way around.

Now, the two Winans accused of a Ponzi scheme were the brother and nephew of Marvin Winans. Pastor Marvin Winans was never in any way implicated. By the way, I know many of his church members and they are not by any means poor. His church attracts many middle-class people and entrepreneurs. More likely that as a result, they are able to aid the poor among them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    But I don't really see how this is relevant. These kids were up to roll the next "chump" they came in contact with. I doubt a WalMart fashion sense would have made a difference.
    Here's what I find relevant. Day after day we have to read about senseless killings, stray bullets, senior citizens being mugged, long time business owners being murdered, police cutbacks. All of this while elected officials make a mockery out of public service and snub their noses to those who elected them - See Jo Ann Watson, or Monica Conyers, or Kwame Kilpatrick, or Robert Ficano, or ...... anyways - you get the drift.

Now that a Pastor was robbed, we finally get some kind of call to arms by City Council. From your boy Kenyatta personally:

Though the incident happened in broad daylight, Councilman Kwame Kenyatta said this morning that it underscores the urgent need for the city to require gas stations, liquor stores and bars and nightclubs – often places targeted by thieves and carjackers – to maintain 24-hour security for their customers’ safety.

Kenyatta said the City Council’s research and analysis division is looking into a citywide ordinance to mandate security personnel at such places, including those with late-night or 24-hour operations.
    http://www.freep.com/article/20120517/NEWS01/120517037/security-guards-late-night-operations-Detroit?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Yeah, thanks for the lip service from a guy with one foot out the door; Enjoy the lifetime pension! I think we all know how well amber light security keeps control of the animals, as evidenced by the 80+ year old guard who was murdered last week. RIP sir.

So now is this the straw that broke the camels back, or do we just openly hold double standards these days. This kind of hierarchy is the shit that makes people stop caring anymore. The term "fair shake" has been thrown out the window.

That's the relevant part I take from this particular incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    FYI and in the interest of accuracy:

The generation of Winans from which Grammy Award winning Pastor Marvin Winans hails [[and their parents before them) were acclaimed gospel artists long before Winans became a preacher. Hence, Winans should not be “dependent” upon the contributions of his “poor” church members. His recordings certainly do well enough to allow him to afford a Presidential Rolex and a SUV, if that’s his taste. Not to mention appearing in Tyler Perry shows and having a radio program, etc., etc., etc.

In fact, some people initially had an issue with the celebrity becoming a preacher, not the other way around.

Now, the two Winans accused of a Ponzi scheme were the brother and nephew of Marvin Winans. Pastor Marvin Winans was never in any way implicated. By the way, I know many of his church members and they are not by any means poor. His church attracts many middle-class people and entrepreneurs. More likely that as a result, they are able to aid the poor among them.
    Thank you for adding some scope to this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Well, to be fair, he is also the leader singer of a very popular Gospel singing group and has several Grammy Awards. Not all of his money comes from the collection plate. However, I still think the egregious display of wealth in such a poor area is in very bad taste.
    What display of wealth? I see Escalades, Range Rovers, Mercedes, Infinity & Lexus trucks every day in Detroit. And there is no evidence that the thugs even saw his Rolex before the attack begun.

What display of wealth? I see Escalades, Range Rovers, Mercedes, Infinity & Lexus trucks every day in Detroit. And there is no evidence that the thugs even saw his Rolex before the attack begun.
    You don't think an $80,000 car is a display of wealth? They may not have seen the watch but they certainly saw the car.

You don't think an $80,000 car is a display of wealth? They may not have seen the watch but they certainly saw the car.
    So the citizens of Detroit and people who work there are not allowed to buy and drive nice cars? And if they get robbed, they deserve it?

I could get behind that if he was driving his Bentley [[which he does own), but a luxury SUV? That is absurd.

The Infinity QX56 also starts at $65,000. The media is inflating the cost of the truck and watch just to sensationalize this story.

Of course it is a display of wealth. But I wouldn't call it egregious. I doubt they attacked him because they were offended or harmed by his display of wealth. They saw an opportunity and seized it.

Actually "sign of wealth" might be better than display. Display makes it seem like he is flaunting it and that is probably not the case. He probably just owns what he likes and can afford to have.

But, as has already been noted, the only thing of relevance is that some thugs attacked and robbed a citizen. Also of relevance is that too many gas stations in Detroit are serving as a haven for thugs and drug dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    Of course it is a display of wealth. But I wouldn't call it egregious. I doubt they attacked him because they were offended or harmed by his display of wealth. They saw an opportunity and seized it.

Actually "sign of wealth" might be better than display. Display makes it seem like he is flaunting it and that is probably not the case. He probably just owns what he likes and can afford to have.

But, as has already been noted, the only thing of relevance is that some thugs attacked and robbed a citizen. Also of relevance is that too many gas stations in Detroit are serving as a haven for thugs and drug dealers.
    Driving an Escalade or a similar truck doesn't mean someone is wealthy. Plenty of regular people drive vehicles like this.

So the citizens of Detroit and people who work there are not allowed to buy and drive nice cars? And if they get robbed, they deserve it?

I could get behind that if he was driving his Bentley [[which he does own), but a luxury SUV? That is absurd.

The Infinity QX56 also starts at $65,000. The media is inflating the cost of the truck and watch just to sensationalize this story.
    Whatever you need to tell yourself to make sure you don't see the irony is cool with me. I'm just calling it how I see it.

Can you explain the irony? Do you really believe that people who drive nice trucks in Detroit deserve to get robbed? I don't see any other point that could be made by your statements.

Can you explain the irony? Do you really believe that people who drive nice trucks in Detroit deserve to get robbed? I don't see any other point that could be made by your statements.
    If you don't get it by now then I don't know how else to explain it.

Well, it was very insensitive for one of the nation's most prominent Christian clergy to walk around one of the poorest areas of the nation with a watch that cost more than a house in the neighborhood. On that note, I say he got his just due. However, it is troubling that certain people felt comfortable enough to pull off such a crime in the middle of the day.
    Unless you are just trolling, what else could you mean by this? You either think that people with nice things deserve to get robbed or they don't.

Unless you are just trolling, what else could you mean by this? You either think that people with nice things deserve to get robbed or they don't.
    If you only read the sentence from that quote that you underlined then there really is nothing I can say that would make you get the point.

Back when BMW had the only high-end audio system, people said that BMW stood for "Break My Window".

If you only read the sentence from that quote that you underlined then there really is nothing I can say that would make you get the point.
    I read the whole thing. You said that he got his just due because a minister wearing a nice watch is insensitive to poor people. Is that not what you were trying to say?

Detroit might be notoriously slow in solving crime, but not this time.
    Don't mess with the Preacher Man!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ng-20120517-ms

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post

Yeah. Good thing the police do their absolute best to protect people that have lots of money.

Have few possessions and no way of replacing them? Then you are on your own!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post

How STUPID do you have to be to get a ticket and then carjack someone in the same location a few hours later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Yeah. Good thing the police do their absolute best to protect people that have lots of money.

Have few possessions and no way of replacing them? Then you are on your own!
    The guys in the 10th Precinct are hard workers regardless of the victim. And did you see this?

"Police sources tell us family of one of the alleged suspects told police their loved one was involved and now he is on the run." and "They say they have received several calls that it has been sighted several times around the city."

Seems like the criminals were dumb, people spoke up, and it was a pretty simple case to solve.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast