Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
I LOVE THE CITY OF DETROIT AND WHAT IT COULD BE !, but
In my opinion, this speaks VOLUMES ! If the people who swear to protect and sever WONT live in the city even with a sweet deal like this WHAT MESSAGE DOES THIS SEND to the citizen left in the city.
This really bother me when I read it . If the city cant' persuade the people who are "suppose" to protect us to move into some of THE BEST areas of the city, it shows they have little or no faith in the city that pays their salary .

I know the state passed a law stating that people that work for the city didn't have to live in the city , in my opinion the people of Detroit are on the losing end of this arrangement .

If 1500 more cops were living in the city and paying property taxes, I would feel a little safer.

We've ALL [[from the top down) know the Detroit PD won't even show up half the time .I'm sure the police show up where they[[1500) choose to live when they call .
What are we paying for? we need to start completely over and require members of DPD to live in the city limits. If they don't like it I'm sure the police department where they are currently living is hiring ;-). [[sarcasms)
To be fair ,I'm sure there are some [[a very few) DP that are doing their best in a Job that is one of the toughest in the country , and before you all pile on , I wouldn't do their job, but they choose to do this , like the military which I was in. I've lived in several big cities around the country and world and visit many other cities and countries so I know how it works.
I just don't feel like I could really count on the DPD if I really needed them, I'm sorry this is just how I feel, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Every time you watch the news or read the news paper more people are talking the law into their own hands :-[[ It's like the wild west !

It's obvious many people in the city of Detroit feel the same way I do .ABANDONED. I do believe in the rights to bare arms, but prior to moving Detroit I would have NEVER consider getting a gun , after living here 3 years I'm looking into getting my CCW :-[[ I live in the City limits in a pretty nice area , but when you hear about home break ins every other day I can't help but to think , if someone does break into my house . I KNOW FOR A FACT they are coming in armed . What choice do I have ? a baseball bat, golf clubs ?
I just don't want to take that chance :-[[ I have to protect our home and the people in it . I've thought about leaving the city again, but my family has been here for over 90 years and they just wont leave and now that I'm back I feel torn , I can't leave them here alone in . I can't leave a 86 year old and 66 year old woman in the city by their self.
We have been in our house since before I was born early 60's and like I said the neighborhood [[northwest/bagley)is still semi stable, but their has been petty theft happening lately. I know theft happens every where and no place is totally safe, but I want to know that if I call the police they will show up . Is that too much to ask? lately it seems so.
We have a right to feel safe in our neighborhood . I'm not against areas of the city hiring private police since it seems the police force we already pay for are out maned , overwhelmed or aren't up to the job.
Maybe the DPd should be place under a EM?
I feel like we are in a war zone and we the citizen of Detroit are basically on our own.
Detroit has the most potential of any city and I do see hope and LOVE the city but basic safety is key.
Frustrated and Torn.
Do you really believe that the police just "don't show up half the time" because that's the way THEY do it or want it? They don't show up because the 911 response time is slower than slow and there isn't enough manpower to go around. It's the management, not the officers who are the problem in Detroit.

I lived on a street in Detroit where there were two Detroit policemen living. Wonderful neighbors, great people...but when a police officer was needed because of a dispute or a domestic problem...no one could depend on them because they didn't want to get involved. If I were a Detroit Police Officer, do you really believe that I would want to live on a street in Detroit and have everyone there know I was a cop? Absolutely not! The residents are afraid of the thugs coming back and killing them for "snitching"....what would happen to a cops home or family?

Yes, they choose to to the job of a Detroit Police Officer and they should be able to choose where they live as well.

If there was a cop on every corner, at every intersection in Detroit, crime would still go on. Their presence can be a small deterrent, but there could never be enough officers walking or driving around to stop these mindless, snake thugs from going around and car jacking, robbing, killing people. If you want better service, start complaining to the top management in Detroit, the ones who spend [[or steal) the taxpayer money...they are the ones who make the difference in how things work in Detroit, the judges, change laws, etc.

There should be stricter laws to allow the police to stop anyone they think is suspicious. Instead, the criminals have certain rights and the victims have NO rights. You can't step on toes, yet the victims go unprotected. You can't profile, yet the victims are singled out every day and murdered in cold blood. Give the police the ability to handcuff the thugs rather than handcuffing the cops!

Yes, you absolutely have a right to feel safe in your neighborhood and that is why you and all Detroiters need to take it to the Mayor and the Chief of Police and the Council. They are the ones who set policy; they are the ones who close precincts, they are the ones who don't get the cars fixed or outfit the police with what they need in order to fight crime. A new police officer today starts at $27,000/yr. If you get new officers in Detroit, they are there because they want to serve and protect Detroiters...not for the money or the glory, because there is no money to be made and certainly no glory.

Frustrated and Torn, as well.