Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The guy helped raise a million dollars for the DSO this weekend and I come on here and read some of this garbage?

Ive only had one of his discs but I wore it out. Not much a fan of his radio hits which is what I assume most of you are judging him by, the whole disc I thought was great. I dont think he was a prefab and believe he worked hard to get where hes at. Yup he rapped about bein 20 years old and all the stupid shit that goes along with bein 20 with money, and hes also moved on and grew. Its an act. I dont listen to music much anymore but 12 years ago Kid Rock was a lot of fun. That was my early 30s and admit that I was a little embarrased that I liked such an act. I said fuck it an became a fan.
    Anyone remember DREAD cards? WRIF gave them out. Detroit Rockers Engaged in the Abolition of Disco. I would never admit to liking disco music back then but you cannot deny that there was some great music.
    Anyone pickin up what Im layin down?

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Ive only had one of his discs but I wore it out. Not much a fan of his radio hits which is what I assume most of you are judging him by, the whole disc I thought was great. I dont think he was a prefab and believe he worked hard to get where hes at. Yup he rapped about bein 20 years old and all the stupid shit that goes along with bein 20 with money, and hes also moved on and grew. Its an act. I dont listen to music much anymore but 12 years ago Kid Rock was a lot of fun. That was my early 30s and admit that I was a little embarrased that I liked such an act. I said fuck it an became a fan.
    Anyone remember DREAD cards? WRIF gave them out. Detroit Rockers Engaged in the Abolition of Disco. I would never admit to liking disco music back then but you cannot deny that there was some great music.

I was with ya till the disco part! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JROLLA View Post
    The guy helped raise a million dollars for the DSO this weekend and I come on here and read some of this garbage?
    Uh, yeah. He fucking sucks. Sorry. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I totally disagree with you and I see where you're going and I like it. You're not talking about Kid Rock anymore. You're talking about something deeper. And, yeah, I pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Uh, yeah. He fucking sucks. Sorry. *shrug*
    What exactly do you like?

What exactly do you like?
    I like lots of music. You know, music that sounds good. Not music that makes you stupider while you listen to it.

Personally, I am on the fence with him. Only because I don't prefer his style of music. And he poaches material from past successes and passes them off as his own. Kinda.

With that being said, I have a tremendous amount of respect for two things about Kid. First, he may steal loops from past songs, but those are probably songs that mean a lot to him personally. And what he does with them is unique and original. So I do have respect for the fact that he does write his own material, whereas most teeny-bopper shit is written for the Clay Aikens and Kelly Clarkson's of the world. In an industry that thrives upon generic, cookie-cutter performers, singing songs they had nothing to do with writing, and appearing on crappy reality/contestant shows to garner attention, Kid Rock never went down that path. Give the singer-songwriter his due.

Second, Kid Rock is a huge Detroit supporter, and will be for life. If you catch a clip of him on TV, he is always wearing some sort of Detroit garment [[even if he's in Hawaii). He raises a lot of $$ and puts on a lot of shows in the area throughout various venues for his local fans. Ask Jack White to compare his Detroit credentials.

Dnerd, I'm a little bothered by you attitude towards Kid Rock. With all his pride for the city, you want him to die? Spoken like a true Detroiter.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Dnerd, I'm a little bothered by you attitude towards Kid Rock. With all his pride for the city, you want him to die? Spoken like a true Detroiter.
    He represents everything that's fucking stupid about Detroit.

Think about Sir Harry Lauder as an example. He paraded around the world singing about Scotland and how dear Scotland was to him, and they loved him everywhere he went.

Except in Scotland.

Because he went around the world singing about drinking too much and used backwoods hick-type Scottish language and talked about working so hard and his wee little wifey making him breakfast on Sunday morning and -- all the stupid shit that's fucking stereotypical about Scots. They hated him.

It would be like if we had an American cowboy who went around the world talking about rounding up wild Red men and how his grampa dabbled in the slave trade, fighting Mexicans and shit, ranting on and on about Christianity and working hard on the range. You'd wanna fucking throw up.

And then there's Kid Blockhead. Some trailer park hick who's, like, totally down with the War on Terror, gives his "love" to lots of dirtbag bros, sort of like a cooler version of a D.B. wearing cargo shorts on Main Street in the Joke. Championing the confederacy and just glassy-eyed enough to feign ignorance that it offends anybody whose ancestors were enslaved. Looking like a working-class loser, hillbilly dumbass with millions of illiterate fans while throwing both hands in the air and SALUTING the decline of Western civilization as long as he can burp up another derivative party anthem.

And then his connection with Detroit and fundraisers. All that is is savvy PR bullshit. If you think the music sucks, you're supposed to shut up about it because he extends a hand to "worthy" causes. When the fuck did we become so brainwashed in this country to think there's nothing in it for the artist? Oh, right, he's just a good guy, loves Detroit, etc. And showing up at a high-profile fundraiser does nothing for this guy? Look at you all patting this illiterate idiot on the back because he has a hard-working PR guy who knows what to do.

The fact is that Kid Rock represents the dumbest, most backward, least educated, most meth-addled part of the population around here and it makes me want to puke with rage that he's considered an ambassador to the world.

I know, I know. Why don't you tell us how you really feel, Dnerd.

Well, you all keep asking. I'm happy to drop it and go back to being my pleasant self.

I don't get it either. I'm 26 and have never really been a big fan, save for a couple songs here and there. I like that he promotes Detroit, but I wouldn't pay to see the guy. I'd rather pay the $100 I'm shelling out to see Roger Waters than $30 to see Kid Rock any day.

Only reason I would love to goto a Kid RockClassic Rock/Country concert would be to people watch. It would be like packing all the people in 50 Walmart stores under one roof.

The tribal tats, boob tats, tapout shirts and strechy pants would be EVERYWHERE!! Gawd, that would be fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by BEEAH View Post
    Only reason I would love to goto a Kid RockClassic Rock/Country concert would be to people watch. It would be like packing all the people in 50 Walmart stores under one roof.

The tribal tats, boob tats, tapout shirts and strechy pants would be EVERYWHERE!! Gawd, that would be fun to watch.
    Here. Knock yourself out: People Of Walmart. There's also Walmart-People.

Quote Originally Posted by BEEAH View Post

Love it. Dont forget a sprinkling of horn implants on some foreheads and a smidgin of scarification.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Love it. Dont forget a sprinkling of horn implants on some foreheads and a smidgin of scarification.
    I'll take it over braids and grillwork!

This. I'm pretty damn excited to see so much support for an orchestra that I care deeply about. I can't see a single negative to Saturday's concert. It was just plain cool.

I don't know what to make of your comments, Detroitnerd. I'd attempt to address the tried 'my super-underground indie band is so much better than what you listen to' type argument, but that only scratches the surface of the ignorance you've posted. Sorry, no offense, but I can't help but think you're way off-base.

I like Kid Rock's music. I even like the guy himself. I'm therefore considered stupid, racist, and unsophisticated by self-appointed arbiters of taste and culture. I'm OK with that. I'm not in high school anymore so I don't really give a damn about being "cool" as defined by someone else.

Originally Posted by Wheels
    If you don't get it, a verbal explanation is not going to change your view. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAZZMAN View Post
    Wheels, Actually I am looking to change my view. I don't understand so why don't you try a verbal explanation. Others on this forum may also benefit from your insight.
    It seems I've opened two cans of worms here with this thread. A can of US worms and a can of THEM worms. Oh, and maybe a third can of OTHER worms. Those are the worms that concede that the crap and the admirable can exist in an entity but are still siding with either the US worms or the THEM worms. Maybe a forth can of WHAT? worms who are just observing and enjoying the fight. I could be in that can. But learning.
    By the way Wheels, what say you? Any coherent insight at all? Eh? Try real hard. Pleeeaaase.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAZZMAN View Post
    I'm an older guy so maybe it's a generational disconnect but can someone please explain the appeal of this guy?
    Music is something to be listened to, not explained. If you don't understand the appeal then apparently you don't share it, which is fine. Sex, drugs and rock n'f'n roll sound like a good combination to me...

I don't know how you define older, but I'm 47 and I think he's AWESOME.

I appreciate his philanthropy and that he promotes Detroit. But part of his heavy promoting of Detroit is I think to a lot of people he represents Detroit. And I don't really think he represents me, lol

"...a working-class loser, hillbilly dumbass...illiterate ... SALUTING the decline of Western civilization"

It just occured to me that you just described the vast majority of Metro Detroit. Haven't you ever BEEN downriver? And yet you wonder why he is so popular.

That's just the God honest truth, here. It isn't the Paris of fucking anything around here. It's the pits, man.

Unless there is documented support of the negative aspects of his existence, I really can't overlook the positive aspects of his existence.

I have no interest in his music, but I don't give him much thought outside of that. Like Dan Gilbert, he makes money off doing potentially good things for Detroit. I'm okay with that.

I'm fairly certain he had a great upbringing that also happened to be far from a trailer park.

For those who missed this Detroit News review of the the DSO and Kid Rock show.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-Rock-jams-DSO

Hey, there's no accounting for taste, man. Everybody can have all kinds of opinions on the matter. I think it's funny that because I loathe Kid Rock some assume I'm into "super-underground indie bands" or hate going Downriver. [[Wrong on both counts.) I hate Kid Rock, I explained [[and probably in too great detail) why I hate the shit, and I'm enjoying seeing you guys talk about it more. 'Nuff said.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast