Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The LaVogue will have gated parking. Model D says the developers have purchased a lot on McNichols, behind the building, for that purpose.

Yes, I can see that perhaps. Very thorough background and reference checks. Too bad it has to be that way but otherwise you really have more problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    Let's not forget that Stroh River Place had to have subsidized units as well.

Does anyone think those have gone to hell in a handbasket?

As has been alluded to, if you get the right kind of lower income people in there, then it will be successful.

Appealing to recent college grads who have low incomes, but whose income will likely increase is a good way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    Let's not forget that Stroh River Place had to have subsidized units as well.

Does anyone think those have gone to hell in a handbasket?
    Do you have a reference for that? When I go to their homepage, it says "...upscale living" http://strohriverplace.com/

But, I could find no reference to any affordable housing program. I find it hard to believe that if the feds gave them millions of dollars for rehabs under this program that there would be no reference about it anywhere on their website. Maybe Stroh's had such a hard time with it that they paid all the money they got from the feds back to get out of it.

If I click on search on their webpage, I end up on this page

http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q...p-a=sp10020332

I type in "affordable housing" and it comes back
    "Sorry, no matches were found containing affordable housing."

I think Woodbridge Estates was mixed market-rate and affordable housing. Anybody know how it's doing?

when I lived there I went to a couple of meetings held about security in the PP area. I proposed an idea that closing Second and Third Sts. might cut down on some of the traffic and make room for some additional parking for the residential buildings. Or possibly leave Second and Third open and close the Merton entrances. A little less through traffic would not be bad in that area.

In my opinion if there is a plan to try to revive the area it might include working with the city to close some of the access, those street closures could be coordinated with planners or traffic consultants.

All of the buildings needed better security when I lived there as well as the individual units. We were sitting ducks for break-ins, and the crooks knew that and break-ins were a frequent occurrence. You can't attract middle class singles or couples and expect them to stay if their apartments and neighboring apartments are often broken into and if cars are stolen and broken in to on a frequent basis.

Dave- I can only confirm from firsthand knowledge of someone's living there under the program...well over 15 years ago.

This from the MSHDA website:

How the Tax Credit Program Works

The maximum tax credit a project may receive is based on a percentage of the portion of rental housing [[whether the housing is newly constructed or rehabilitated) that the owner agrees to maintain as both rent and income restricted for a period of at least 18 years. At a minimum, either 20 percent of the units must be for residents whose incomes do not exceed 50 percent of area median income or 40 percent of the units must be for residents whose incomes do not exceed 60 percent of the area median income [[as determined and adjusted annually by HUD). The rents on the units must also be restricted. An annual credit equal to roughly 9 percent of the qualified basis of construction or rehabilitation costs is available to developments not utilizing federal or tax-exempt financing. An annual credit roughly equal to 4 percent of the qualified basis is applicable where federal or tax-exempt financing is utilized and, in certain cases, for acquisition cost associated with rehabilitation.

Given that the complex opened nearly 25 years ago, they haven't had to offer subsidized units for years

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2