Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Funaho, EVERY citation warning has that # 4 item about registering a rental property. Every form, including mine, which cited me for loose gutters, has the part about calling for re-inspection when done or maybe getvanother fee/fine etc. So nothing on your citation says you are a landlord or even a homeowner with a lead issue. Besides, the lead issues are INSIDE a house. Because you aren't a landlord, they won't necessitating an interior inspection. They just want you to fix up your peeling paint and call them when done.They are liberal with deadline extensions if you call.

I think it's related to these inspection sweeps that the taco trucks all seem to be gone.

I side with the City on this. Many of these building code violations are safety issues [[deteriorating porches, lead paint). This is by no means an "all-of-a-sudden" occurrence. These types of safety issues develop over an extended period of time due to a lack of maintenance. If you buy a home, you have an obligation to maintain it in a safe and habitable manner. End of story. If you can't afford to meet this obligation, perhaps you shouldn't own a house.

You change the oil in your car to keep it running properly...why is it okay to let your front porch go to shit?

Funaho-- I had the same thing happen a few years ago on my primary residence in Woodbridge, which used to be a rental. If I remember right, I was eventually ticketed and fined for not getting all the things in the letter done. There was a hearing date on the ticket, and I showed up for the hearing with proof that it was my primary residence. My proof was my driver's license and a utility bill. At the hearing, they just waived the whole thing and it was over.

[[The things I didn't get done were the lead inspection and registering it as a rental property, by the way. The other things were minor and easy to fix, so I did them.)
    Last edited by Cristina; May-13-12 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    [[The other things were minor and easy to fix, so I did them.)
    Here's the thing. The three of us on this board who actaully received citations [[and actually live in Detroit) just fixed the stuff and are mostly ok with the manner of citations. It also sounds that the process of extensions and rectifications is not terribly onerous.

Keep in mind as well that all of these citations are only for the EXTERIOR of the residences.

Vacant houses are indeed a cancer. However if the person next door to me doesn't have $500 to fix a very blatant exterior problem and ABANDONS THEIR HOME AS A RESULT...do you REALLY want to live next to someone like that? Chances are they aren't stellar citizens or neighbors to begin with.

I also think you're not giving Detroiters enough credit. Though many are poor, it seems everybody here has a cousin or an uncle who does something or another. The city isn't checking who does the work, as long as it's done.

Thanks for the info SWMAP. The whole thing has been playing hell with my anxiety problems; I was worried I was going to have to take time off from work and go downtown to deal with bureaucracy. This just leaves me with a little repainting, which isn't all that big of a deal.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

Vacant houses are indeed a cancer. However if the person next door to me doesn't have $500 to fix a very blatant exterior problem and ABANDONS THEIR HOME AS A RESULT...do you REALLY want to live next to someone like that? Chances are they aren't stellar citizens or neighbors to begin with.
    I agree. Poor people are scum.

I wonder how many of these homes are Matty's 'investments'?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3