Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
However the irony is that from where I live I could throw a rock and hit Grosse Pointe. If I moved there I would actually pay LESS taxes for a practically paramilitary police force and the best schools around.
The mill rate is much higher in Detroit but I suspect for an equivalent house you would pay much more in taxes due to the taxable value.

Your point stands and is valid but comparing mill rates without comparing taxable value on comparable homes is missing a key piece of data.

It does also raise an issue that is prevalent in the city. The assessors office seems to key in on certain neighborhoods and either inflate or maintain reasonable assessments while ignoring parcels in many, many other areas or keeping the assessment exceptionally low. I'm pretty sure your neighborhood is one that the city either inflates or keeps reasonable assessments [[So you end up paying more than many other areas).

The city assessor also likes to gives very, very low assessments to properties owned by the Ilitches, Marouns, etc