Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I think it is a good idea, assuming the market size actually exists. There is a lot of imported tilapia around, and the fresh and/or live market is probably not enormous. But maybe it's bigger than I think.

The other thing I didn't see in that op-ed was a plan to deal with the tilapia waste. It can be used as fertilizer for plants, but to do that you need some plants. For 5 million tilapia, you need a whole lot of plants.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    The other thing I didn't see in that op-ed was a plan to deal with the tilapia waste. It can be used as fertilizer for plants, but to do that you need some plants. For 5 million tilapia, you need a whole lot of plants.
    Couldn't Hantz Farms use the waste? It will be pretty close to there. This could be the beginning of an excellent sustainable system.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Fish waste can be almost as profitable as the fish are. With the huge upsurge in organic farming/gardening, it's a great resource for fertilizer.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Fish waste can be almost as profitable as the fish are. With the huge upsurge in organic farming/gardening, it's a great resource for fertilizer.
    Yes. The article didn't mention anything about it though, and processing it into saleable fertilizer would be a whole business in itself.