I posted this in another thread about the Lafayette Building. I wanted to see what you guys thought of the concept, and depending on what holes you all poke in it, maybe ask what the groups and individuals are who are involved in saving or marketing the building, and present them with the idea and work on a plan with them to get the ball rolling. I would gladly do some of the leg work on something like this.

This is something I have actually been kicking around in my head for awhile now.

I say put up some ad space on the building. Maybe some digital boards similar to Time Square in New York City. They would be visible from Campus Martius, straight down Cadillac Square, all the way to the Millender Center. Even better, have some sort of New Years type ball drop or other holiday gathering in front of the building. Maybe sync it up with the NYC Ball Drop, with screens on the building showing Time Square [[and maybe vice verse if it got big enough here). That would assure a lot of people looking at the ads and should surely fill the ad space.

Money could go to building maintenance, and maybe combine with the saved demolition money, could slowly go to bringing the building up to a more marketable state to developers.