Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

awwwww. went there many times. i don't know why bowling alleys close. it cheap entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    awwwww. went there many times. i don't know why bowling alleys close. it cheap entertainment.
    While individual participation in the sport of bowling remains high, the number of organized leagues and sanctioned bowlers continue to decline each year. The reasons behind this trend are addressed in the 2000 book Bowling Alone.

Bowling establishments make their big money from league bowlers and the sale of food, drink and liquor to them. With the decline of the number of leagues, it is harder for them to turn a profit. And the Michigan Legislature didn't do them any favors when they banned indoor smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    While individual participation in the sport of bowling remains high, the number of organized leagues and sanctioned bowlers continue to decline each year. The reasons behind this trend are addressed in the 2000 book Bowling Alone.
    Bowling Alone is a really interesting book. Personally, I think some of the things is points out are at the root of many of society's problems right now. Not the only root causes, but they certainly contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkguy View Post
    Bowling Alone is a really interesting book. Personally, I think some of the things is points out are at the root of many of society's problems right now. Not the only root causes, but they certainly contribute.
    A LOT has changed since 2000, too. We had the internet, but there wasn't nearly as many ways for everyone to waste time on it. We also had cell phones, but they generally just made phone calls. We had laptops, but they were clunky. We've had plenty of technological distractions for a while now but now it seems like there is little reason for people to leave their houses with infinite ways to be amused with gizmos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post

Bowling establishments make their big money from league bowlers and the sale of food, drink and liquor to them. With the decline of the number of leagues, it is harder for them to turn a profit. And the Michigan Legislature didn't do them any favors when they banned indoor smoking.
    The unintended consequences of progressive bans on public smoking and the well-intended but overwrought jihad on drinking and driving are harming our pursuit of happiness.

[[I'm not against regulation of smoking and drunk driving -- just the extreme way its being done.)