Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
reading about crap like this makes me so p.o.'d, esp if one knows/is related to somebody touched by The Big C;

http://newtoseattle.wordpress.com/20...ts-in-seattle/

The people running and soliciting for these "charities" should be in prison eating cold ham sandwiches next to Madoff! Abusing the goodwill of people willing to donate to a worthy cause is just as bad as stealing from the causes they are claiming to assist. How does it get any worse than stealing from cancer patients?

A law requiring that a reasonable minimum percentage of solicited donations go directly to the cause is long overdue.

I was scammed by one of these people selling coupon books in front of a local retailer a few years back. Their entire sales pitch was that the proceeds from the sale of the book benefited injured U.S Veterans and their table was fully decorated with American flags. After shelling out $25 for the coupons I was a bit taken aback when I returned home, flipped through the pages and saw the fine print on the last page. "$1 from the sale of this book is donated to ------------ by your distributor". So not only was the company only giving $1 out of $25 to the cause they were using to sell the books, but the $1 was coming out of the commission of the person pushing the sales [[Maybe).
I did some research and it turns out this was a traveling "scam" that moves around the country when the negative press gets heavy. By the time everyone catches on they are long gone and on to the next market.