Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

In city after city that I visit, people USE their bicycles as transportation, and you see front bike racks on buses loaded up. I was just reading something that said there has been a steady increase in the number of people bike-commuting in the Detroit area-- although it is still a small percentage, somewhere around 1 to 3 percent of commuting trips. I'll have to find that article. But, at any rate, my wife and I were talking recently about the fact that we've noticed a definite increase in the number of people we see on bikes on the main roads around our neighborhood, especially Grand River. They appear to be doing something other than going out for a recreational ride, but no one can know for sure without asking. I have noticed them in harsh weather, too, including rain and snow.

I thought that the city was broke. This should had been the last thing the city should had spend our money on. I am a part time cyclist. I love riding my bike just like the rest. However, I would rather see the money invested on more busses to decrease wait time. I could chain my bicycle to a lamp post. The city should had purchased simple racks such as the ones Grosse Pointe has.

There is most certainly a palpable increase in bike ridership in the last few years. To the point where we sometimes have to get out of each other's way. The racks that are on busses are well utilized, at least on the major routes.

And it also helps that more and more small business and office buildings have bike racks outside them, which was not so much the case a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I thought that the city was broke. This should had been the last thing the city should had spend our money on. I am a part time cyclist. I love riding my bike just like the rest. However, I would rather see the money invested on more busses to decrease wait time. I could chain my bicycle to a lamp post. The city should had purchased simple racks such as the ones Grosse Pointe has.
    These racks probably cost nothing [[under $200 a piece) , and were paid for by grants. I know a federal grant covered the on-bus racks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2