Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

when is the final report due from the latest audit team?

I love it. We can have a theme park downtown, a water park on Bell Isle, and corn mazes on the east side! Maybe they'll turn Michigan Central Station into the world's largest haunted house! Take that, Pontiac!

For all of the race-baiting at these Council meetings, I believe it's really a cover for something else. Pretty much every survey showed that Detroit residents favored having the state running Belle Isle. And here in my part of the east side, where most of us visit the park regularly, the support for the plan was almost universal among people of all races.

But Pugh and Kenyatta talking vaguely about "other offers," and that ridiculous water park proposal, has me thinking that these folks [[mostly west siders, of course) are holding out for a plan that will make them some money. We certainly all know that both Kenyatta and Pugh have had personal financial troubles, and now that Watson has to pay the actual property taxes on her house, who knows...

The usual crowd of screaming race-based "activists" [[who seem to show up for everything) makes for convenient cover, but the real interest here it seems to me is to 'privatize' the park, or parts of the park, in a way that will be beneficial to the obstructionists. And it wouldn't be the first time. All of us involved in the park certainly remember Kwame's zoo/nature center boondoggle for his buddies that left us with an abandoned zoo in the middle of the park for outsiders to come and take pictures of and marvel at.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    For all of the race-baiting at these Council meetings, I believe it's really a cover for something else. Pretty much every survey showed that Detroit residents favored having the state running Belle Isle. And here in my part of the east side, where most of us visit the park regularly, the support for the plan was almost universal among people of all races.

But Pugh and Kenyatta talking vaguely about "other offers," and that ridiculous water park proposal, has me thinking that these folks [[mostly west siders, of course) are holding out for a plan that will make them some money. We certainly all know that both Kenyatta and Pugh have had personal financial troubles, and now that Watson has to pay the actual property taxes on her house, who knows...

The usual crowd of screaming race-based "activists" [[who seem to show up for everything) makes for convenient cover, but the real interest here it seems to me is to 'privatize' the park, or parts of the park, in a way that will be beneficial to the obstructionists. And it wouldn't be the first time. All of us involved in the park certainly remember Kwame's zoo/nature center boondoggle for his buddies that left us with an abandoned zoo in the middle of the park for outsiders to come and take pictures of and marvel at.
    Gee, you think?

Kwame's other hair brained idea was to turn the Boat Club into a Merchant Marine school... and then build a large residence hall next to it [[with parking lot)...

Motor City Muckraker is saying that today Bing will threaten to close down city parks if Council does not approve the lease.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/0...ks-will-close/

Watching the press conference here at 10:30 am :

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/category.../live-stream-3
    Last edited by TexasT; February-01-13 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Kwame's other hair brained idea was to turn the Boat Club into a Merchant Marine school... and then build a large residence hall next to it [[with parking lot)...
    I can see that. I've often equated Kwame with semen. [[sp?)

Per the press conference, 50 parks will close, 38 additional parks will receive more limited service.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Motor City Muckraker is saying that today Bing will threaten to close down city parks if Council does not approve the lease.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/0...ks-will-close/

Watching the press conference here at 10:30 am :

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/category.../live-stream-3
    Vote out ALL incumbents on August 6th, 2013 [[provided there's still a city to run).

I think Bing should take the Mower Gang out for a drink.....

FROM THE FREE PRESS:
    Dave Bing: Detroit is forced to close 50 parks after Belle Isle decision

Detroit Mayor Dave Bing said this morning the city will close 50 parks and severely cut operations at the city's recreation centers after the deal for the state to run Belle Isle as a state park collapsed.

The City Council on Tuesday declined to approve the deal for a 30-year lease of the 985-acre park, which would have saved Detroit $6 million a year. So now, Bing said, the city has no choice but to enact deep cuts.

"The inaction by City Council and resulting retraction of the state's participation not only negatively affects Belle Isle, but also has significant impact on the city's other parks and services," Bing said.

The mayor was holding a news conference to detail plans this morning for sweeping cuts. Another 38 parks also will moved to limited service status

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Vote out ALL incumbents on August 6th, 2013 [[provided there's still a city to run).
    People who follow this advice are likely to get us into the same mess all over again. Instead, I would say put time and effort into the voting process. Do your homework. Know the candidates. There are nine members of council, most of whom don't get singled out for ridicule daily on this forum. Before you go with the simple strategy, let's see what the entire field looks like come August. There may actually be one or more incumbents that deserve re-election.

So when we vote with districts will it be a situation where a candidate has to declare that he/she is running [[1) at-large or [[2) for a district?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    People who follow this advice are likely to get us into the same mess all over again. Instead, I would say put time and effort into the voting process. Do your homework. Know the candidates. There are nine members of council, most of whom don't get singled out for ridicule daily on this forum. Before you go with the simple strategy, let's see what the entire field looks like come August. There may actually be one or more incumbents that deserve re-election.
    All of the incumbents are either misguided [[Kenyatta, Watson, Jones), incompetent [[Bing), or self-serving [[the rest, but especially Pugh and Brown).

None of them seem to understand the reason they were elected in the first place, and that's to represent those who put them in office. Instead, you have a deadly combination of narciasistic rubber stampers who only want to maintain control, even if it mean sailing every citizen in Detroit up the river, mere senile puppets who couldn't think for themselves if their life depended on it and harbors pure contempt for me as a taxpaying citizen, and racists who still live in 1965 that feel anything that isn't black owned/operated is evil.

Personally, I'm voting for the person who's actually concerned about my well being when making decision that affect my quality of life. None of the incumbents fit that bill.
    Last edited by 313WX; February-01-13 at 04:41 PM.

Close Belle Isle, too. Close them all. See what happens.

A little chain link rope closing off a road isn't going to keep people away. No trash cans...just throw the crap on the ground. No open bathrooms...the park is your toilet. The EM needs to come in and get rid of all the clowncil and the mayor. I want to be there when Watson is locked out of her office.

Yep, these areas will just become elephant-high grass places where more bad things happen that are hidden until next November when the weeds and grass flatten from the weather... what was the council thinking about [[sic)? Thanks Bing-dingaling....

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    A little chain link rope closing off a road isn't going to keep people away. No trash cans...just throw the crap on the ground. No open bathrooms...the park is your toilet. The EM needs to come in and get rid of all the clowncil and the mayor. I want to be there when Watson is locked out of her office.

Default Ocala & Marion County in Florida accept "State Takeover"

Florida's Silver Springs theme park near Ocala, Florida, will soon become an official state park. The state will lease the park from October 1 through 2029. Silver Springs showcases nature and is known for headline music acts and glass bottom boats.

http://www.silversprings.com/

Did I hear right ? is the city wants to now start charging to enter Belle Isle ?
    and they want to charge more ? where are all these same people that were screaming about " Belle Isle should be free "?
    how do they feel about this ?
    the city "leaders" are running this city into the ground . idiots !
    who's going to pay for it ? and pay for all the other parks?
    If they just would have let the state run it for 10 years that would have save them what 60 million dollars ?
    Those idiots downtown are just too much !
    Last edited by Detroitdave; February-17-13 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Do I hear right ? is the city wanting to try to charge now to enter Belle Isle ?
    and they want to charge more ? where are all these same people that were screaming about " Belle Isle should be free "?
    how do they feel about this ?
    Just regionalize the darn park and fund it with a mileage [[like the DIA).

My god...

My god...
    I am all in favor of finding new resources for improving Belle Isle, but I can't see much reason why it should be regionalized, nor do I see that there would be any support for such an action. Huron-Clinton and the state park systems already exist. The city messed up its opportunity to hand this problem off to the state. No one is going to bail them out. Maybe next year the whole thing can be reconsidered.

I'm more or less indifferent about the situation with Belle Isle.

Quite frankly, it is small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

But regionalizing the park would probably be the only feasible solution when all said and done for all parties who have their panties in a twist over it.

My god...
    We just turned down regionalization to the biggest local region -- the State. So why would any other region agree to fund this -- when the State has agreed to regionally fund and we declined?

But to me, its not about who funds the capital expenses to improve the park nor who funds the operating expenses [[user/city, county, region, or state taxpayer), but who has to administer it.

The most important thing for Detroit is to shed themselves of EVERYTHING they can, and focus on the core issues. Parks are a distraction from what's important. Sure they should exist for the public, but who runs them is a sideshow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    We just turned down regionalization to the biggest local region -- the State. So why would any other region agree to fund this -- when the State has agreed to regionally fund and we declined?

But to me, its not about who funds the capital expenses to improve the park nor who funds the operating expenses [[user/city, county, region, or state taxpayer), but who has to administer it.

The most important thing for Detroit is to shed themselves of EVERYTHING they can, and focus on the core issues. Parks are a distraction from what's important. Sure they should exist for the public, but who runs them is a sideshow.
    Sure they should exist for the public, but who runs them is a sideshow.

Well, it is and it isn't. If the wrong people get hold of it, it will end up looking like a sideshow. I'm from the leave it in a natural state and spruce it up camp. And the DRN, IMO, is best equipt to do this. I would hate to have a private enterprise get hold of it and turn it into an abomination.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7