Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    "I know in my experience with federal investigations, they tend to be slow and meticulous, but when they come, they come like a ton of bricks.
    I love the way KK phrased that.
    Especially when the bricks are going to come down on that knucklehead.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    I love the way KK phrased that.
    Especially when the bricks are going to come down on that knucklehead.
    You're referring to Ken Kockrel?

Isn't this a Federal charge? If so, she won't end up in Wayne County, will she? More likely the federal country club in Indiana.

Anyone here a lawyer or familiar with law issues?
    I've heard that over 90% of court cases in our justice system end with a plea bargain.
    Aren't the Feds limited in their use of plea bargaining? What # of fed cases end with plea bargains?

I'll be disappointed, but not surprised, if a plea is actually offered.

Elected officials need to be held to a higher standard.

Not given a "Get out of jail free" card.

I'll be curious to see if Monicagate makes national news, given her family ties. I suspect no one beyond the Michigan state line will much give a care.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Isn't this a Federal charge? If so, she won't end up in Wayne County, will she? More likely the federal country club in Indiana.
    You bet'cha. Ole' Monica will be cooling her heels out of state, but she will go to jail. There is no probation in the federal system.

Wow, so we don't even have to worry about her being reelected!

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    A minium of $6,000, the other amounts have not been admitted to.
    seventeen pounds of jimmy dean's breakfast links.

Stosh Guest

Monica is small potatoes in this whole grand scheme. She'll take the plea bargain if she knows what's good for her overall. I'd say her chances are better with the plea.

You'll see no such plea arrangement later on in the scandal. The bigger fish will fry in their own fat, as it were.

MAN I am so friggin glad that this idiot finally got caught up in her own stupidity. She was the worst mistake Detroit ever made putting her in office.....

MAN I am so friggin glad that this idiot finally got caught up in her own stupidity. She was the worst mistake Detroit ever made putting her in office.....
    Worst ever? I mean in the last ten years...MonCon is pretty much par for the course. Kwame? Bates? BRC? Watson? Reeves? Momma K? Reverend David Murray....and the rest of the school board? should i go on?

the shorter list would be those elected that served honorably and competently.

the bad thing is... I can see now, support rallies for Mrs. Conyers, at churches and the like, "Afrocentric" activists in tow, trying to spin this as "they just want to get rid of a powerful black woman..." WCHB, WGPR pundits may follow suit..

I'm sick of dumb people who are elected officials doing dumb things and then trying to dodge everything as if its the Oakland/Lansing Conspiracy pt. 2,098.. I'm sick of my intelligence being assumed to be less than average by the behavior of these people..

Quote Originally Posted by thecarl View Post
    seventeen pounds of jimmy dean's breakfast links.
    now that's a bribe i could sink my teeth into

If you don't dislike her enough already check out the Freep article that has the transcript from her cable show in which she pulls out the religion card.
    She says something about people who aren't praying for her are just adding to the problem. I wonder if praying for a long prison term counts?

I like the one comment...she shoulda been praying for wisdom and strength to fight the temptation of accepting a bribe.

Maybe we could have a prayer vigil for a conviction? Or at least a prayer chain.

She's gonna be praying that at midnight she won't be like Cinderella and turn into a bum and her carriage into a pumpkin.

The religion card - remember Kilpatrick and wife asking for privacy and saying that the matter of his perjury was actually a matter of infidelity and it was between them, their pastor and their God.

So now Conyers has said that she is a child of God and the Baptists will flock to her and, as the Detroiter I once served on a criminal jury with said in the jury room as he opened his Bible, we must forgive 70 times 7 times - and the jury did! Its not about the law for Detroiters - its about their debased churches and preachers.

Sorry to say it right out, but there is something wrong when there are thousands of churches big and small in our neighborhoods and the City is nearly rotten through.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    The religion card - remember Kilpatrick and wife asking for privacy and saying that the matter of his perjury was actually a matter of infidelity and it was between them, their pastor and their God.

So now Conyers has said that she is a child of God and the Baptists will flock to her and, as the Detroiter I once served on a criminal jury with said in the jury room as he opened his Bible, we must forgive 70 times 7 times - and the jury did! Its not about the law for Detroiters - its about their debased churches and preachers.

Sorry to say it right out, but there is something wrong when there are thousands of churches big and small in our neighborhoods and the City is nearly rotten through.
    I'd think that with a Federal Grand Jury trial you'll have little to no chance of that scenario happening. Jurors are picked from the entire Eastern district.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    now that's a bribe i could sink my teeth into
    well, councilperson kay everett allegedly did, along with $150K in bribes...

http://metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=7043

Quote Originally Posted by thecarl View Post
    well, councilperson kay everett allegedly did, along with $150K in bribes...

http://metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=7043
    Thanks for the link.

Just reading that story by Lessenberry only reminds all of us that things in Detroit simply don't change. Almost one year after the passing of Everett, Detroit elects Monica Conyers, a younger version of Kay Everett to keep the madness going in Detroit. Four years later, Ms. Conyers didn't disappoint. She followed in the same footsteps as her predecessor and here we are again. Another city council member in the crosshairs of the federal government. Can Detroit get away from the long arm of the feds for a while?

Going back to the story about Everett; if you take out the name Kay Everett and insert Monica Conyers you would not know the difference. The story is a reflection of the state of Detroit, TODAY. That is how bad Detroit has gotten. Nothing has changed

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    She showed she has no respect for the position, the council and the city a long time ago. She even showed up to the city council meeting today for business as usual, how delusional is that?
    She doesn't respect herself. How can we expect her to show respect for anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Anyone here a lawyer or familiar with law issues?
    I've heard that over 90% of court cases in our justice system end with a plea bargain.
    Aren't the Feds limited in their use of plea bargaining? What # of fed cases end with plea bargains?
    While I do not have statistics at hand, you are correct that over 90% of criminal cases end with a plea bargain. In many cases, a plea bargain is mutually beneficial because [[1) the defendant is guilty and pleads to a lesser crime that entails less punishment than the crime he/she would otherwise be charged with, and [[2) the prosecutor can process a case with fewer resources. Sometimes, by offering plea bargains, prosecutors can also win cooperation of defendants who might otherwise never have helped the government.

Both federal and state prosecutors have pretty broad latitude in crafting plea bargains. As a general matter, the use of plea bargaining is not very limited.

Maybe she can share a cell with the felon brother she forgot that she had. That family is sure full of winners, two thugs/criminals in one litter!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast