Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Sources: Monica Conyers mulls plea deal in City Hall corruption case

Leonard N. Fleming, Paul Egan and Darren A. Nichols / The Detroit News

Detroit --Detroit City Councilwoman Monica Conyers has been offered a plea deal by the federal government in connection with a corruption investigation at City Hall, four sources with knowledge of the deal confirmed.
The feds have told Conyers they want an answer by the end of today, but the wife of U.S. Rep. John Conyers hasn't made up her mind, sources said. The bribery-related charge that Conyers could plead to carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison, although she probably would receive less time.
Two sources who have spoken with Conyers said she is reluctant because she doesn't want to serve time in jail.
Steve Fishman, Conyers' attorney, declined to comment.
Conyers was not identified in federal court documents or by developer Rayford W. Jackson when he pleaded guilty Monday to bribery conspiracy charges in federal court, but sources say Conyers is the official known as "Council Member A."
Jackson pleaded guilty to paying more than $6,000 in bribes to an unnamed member of Detroit City Council in connection with a $1.2 billion sludge contract approved in late 2007. He admitted to using a courier on four separate occasions to deliver bribes to "Council Member A" -- the same council member that former Synagro official James R. Rosendall Jr. earlier admitted to bribing.
Conyers, who showed up to the regularly scheduled meeting City Council meeting, declined to speak to reporters and was primarily silent during the meeting except to pitch a community event this afternoon. She looked worried.
After Conyers left the meeting, Councilman Kwame Kenyatta said he hoped those involved in the scandal are identified soon. He said he's upset about being lumped in with someone who's allegedly taken a bribe.
"It was an affront to all of us who don't do business that way, and it's incumbent upon us to speak up," Kenyatta said. "Hopefully we're moving toward conclusion, but not fast enough. If you say there's a cloud, a council member A, B, or C, then we need to know who that is. If not, it looks as if it's all of us and could be an indictment on all of us."
Council President Kenneth Cockrel Jr. told reporters after the session that he wants indictments to move quickly.
"The bottom line is this whole Synagro issue has been out there some time. I'm of the mindset of whatever they've got, bring it," Cockrel said.
"I know in my experience with federal investigations, they tend to be slow and meticulous, but when they come, they come like a ton of bricks. My feeling is if they are going to come like a ton of bricks, they ought to come now."
lfleming@detnews.com [[313) 222-2072

Find this article at:
http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...orruption-case
SAVE THIS | EMAIL THIS | Close
Check the box to include the list of links referenced in the article.
© Copyright 2008 The Detroit News. All rights reserved.