Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Street Cars in Detroit.

How many of you remember the street cars that were a major means of transportation around Detroit in the 40's?

When we went downtown, we took the "six-mile" bus from Whittier to Gratiot and McNichols and caught the Gratiot streetcar to go downtown. I grew up in Detroit in the 1940s and 1950s and the streetcars were still running. The bus system was pretty good then as well.

My late father, started out as Motorman with with the DSR-Detroit Street and Railways, in 1945 after WWII.
    He had some interesting stories about the different routes, the people who rode the "Cars" daily, and the different "Car Barns" around the city, Coolidge, Wyoming, Gilbert, Lawton, Shoemaker, Highland Park, that could only service only specific routes, because of the way the track system was laid out. I do remember riding the "Grand River Car" to downtown with my Grandmother in the early 50's

Another story relating to the DSR and streetcars. I do recall my father telling us how that back in 1938 when his younger brother passed away, the DSR had a Funeral Car. That was what they used, to go from Grand River & Warren, St Leo's Church, to Mount Olivet cemertary at McNichols and Van Dyke, to instead of a funeral procession as we know today.

Quote Originally Posted by olesarg View Post
    How many of you remember the street cars that were a major means of transportation around Detroit in the 40's?
    April 8th is the 56th anniversary of the end of trolley service in Detroit.

San Fransisco still runs an old PCC streetcar painted in Detroit "livery" colors.

http://www.streetcar.org/streetcars/1079/

Quote Originally Posted by Parkguy View Post
    San Fransisco still runs an old PCC streetcar painted in Detroit "livery" colors.

http://www.streetcar.org/streetcars/1079/
    Although its sad that Detroit ripped out its streetcars over a half century ago, it is indeed nice to see SF using an old train car still painted in the original colors and even keeping the old DSR logo! How neat.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Although its sad that Detroit ripped out its streetcars over a half century ago, it is indeed nice to see SF using an old train car still painted in the original colors and even keeping the old DSR logo! How neat.

Actually most of the rails of the system exist with the exception of the downtown area they are entombed under the road surfaces around the city. All that is needed is to dig them up. Also the most of the rails were all replaced shortly before the system was shut down and most likely are in good condition. I last saw a small part of the E. Jefferson rails a few years ago when the county was doing some work on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Actually most of the rails of the system exist with the exception of the downtown area they are entombed under the road surfaces around the city. All that is needed is to dig them up. Also the most of the rails were all replaced shortly before the system was shut down and most likely are in good condition. I last saw a small part of the E. Jefferson rails a few years ago when the county was doing some work on the street.
    On January 19, 1964, DSR General Manager Nowicki wrote a report on the need to abandon the East Jefferson streetcar line and convert the route to "motor coaches. In the report, he noted that the tracks there were from 18 to 32 years old and most of it would need replacement in the next two to three years of use. Remember, the track structure includes more than just the rails. It also includes the roadbed and the ties.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    On January 19, 1964, DSR General Manager Nowicki wrote a report on the need to abandon the East Jefferson streetcar line and convert the route to "motor coaches. In the report, he noted that the tracks there were from 18 to 32 years old and most of it would need replacement in the next two to three years of use. Remember, the track structure includes more than just the rails. It also includes the roadbed and the ties.
    I think you have your date wrong the trolleys ended service in 1956. And I have been involved with group that included several former DSR employees who have drummed it into me for the last 20 years about the condition of the rails, and that they all had been replaced shortly before operations subsided. You have to also remember many were all on GM's "payroll" and of course were trying to get rid of the streetcars however they could.

I did ride a Detroit streetcar, but it was in 1971 in Mexico City. I'm too young [[funny statement that) to have ever ridden one here in Detroit.

I still remember the nostalgic look and welling tears on my Dad's face when he climbed on the car in Mexico City. It still had some painted warnings in English on the inside that said "Detroit DSR" on them.

I used to ride the one on Washington Blvd back in the 1980's until I figured out it was faster to walk. Does that count?

Trolly buses were finished by the end of 1962;

Attachment 12987

The use trolley buses on some routes in Seattle even now, and I think they are preferable to diesel. Very quiet, no smoke. You can stand right next to the curb as one pulls away from a stop and there is just a low sound. My wife hates the wires, but I think they have a cool look.

I guess they are discussing whether to phase them out because they are going to have to replace the entire fleet in the next few years, but I guess they have superior torque and perform much better on the steep hills.