Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    In all of this, I've not heard a peep about the fact that the city only exists due the whims of the state chartering...am I not correct?! The state approved the creation of the city, and can make it null and void. Surely, that would incite full-scale rioting and/or civil unrest [[depending upon which term you choose to use)...but the charter was granted and can be removed.
    Not really. Michigan is a home rule state, so as long as a city's Charter is not in conflict with the state Constitution and contains the language mandated by state law, the state really can't just step in and de-incorporate it. It would be highly dubious under Michigan's constitution and home rule law for the state to do as you suggest.

Detroit also has several special provisions written into state law for it, specifically to deal with the funding and service provision needs of a large city. And, of course, there is the little historical matter that the incorporation of the City of Detroit predates the establishment of the State of Michigan by several decades.

I also think that the EFM law probably infringes on the state's home rule provisions [[and on the U.S. Constitution delegation of power over bankruptcies to the federal government), but so far the courts haven't agreed with me.

Quote Originally Posted by esteban View Post
    In the light of decades of neglect, this has gone beyond the morally bankrupt authority of the State of Michigan, which has strangled Detroit of resources for decades to the extent that it has now reached a point where the situation needs to become a Federal concern.
    Please, Mr. Obama, pay our bills out of your "stash".

The consent financial team [[depending how squeaky clean they are) will slove Detroit city government woes. They may lost 311 years of power, but there homongous debt MUST be paid off in full. The state, the creditors and rest of Detroiters are sick and tired of getting run-a-rounds and empty promises. Detroit will rise from ashes and get a new renaissance and a better regional infrastructure. Detroit's financial woes is not the matter of black and white, it green paper and its resources. I feel really sorry for Mayor KING BING and the city council ans its unions. You all can keep your jobs, but its hands off the treasury.

It's time to push the reset button.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Please, Mr. Obama, pay our bills out of your "stash".
    I'm surprised you didn't say "missah" ...

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Not really. Michigan is a home rule state, so as long as a city's Charter is not in conflict with the state Constitution and contains the language mandated by state law, the state really can't just step in and de-incorporate it. It would be highly dubious under Michigan's constitution and home rule law for the state to do as you suggest.

Detroit also has several special provisions written into state law for it, specifically to deal with the funding and service provision needs of a large city. And, of course, there is the little historical matter that the incorporation of the City of Detroit predates the establishment of the State of Michigan by several decades.

I also think that the EFM law probably infringes on the state's home rule provisions [[and on the U.S. Constitution delegation of power over bankruptcies to the federal government), but so far the courts haven't agreed with me.
    If you truly believe in Home Rule, then you should also believe that the State has no responsibility whatsoever in Detroit, and can't be blamed for the city's problem.

Since the state can't 'de-incorporate' it, that leads right to bankruptcy to do what necessary when an independent entity runs out of money.

Great. I finally found something about 'home rule' that I like.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4