Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

So, just to be clear, you've come to think that the first postcard was sent to Jacob Van Dyk through the care of Mr. H. Rietberg and that Mr. Van Dyk was possibly a lodger with Mr. H. Rietberg in Amsterdam.

My grandparents were all Polish and came here in the early 1910's.

Possibly your Jacob Rietberg didn't stay in the U. S. and moved on to Canada or went back to Holland, or maybe any documents pertaining to him just haven't been transcribed to to any searchable databases that are on the internet yet.

Is it possible that he changed his first name jacob for a more
    "english sound" or easier first name?
    Brock, it is sure that Canada is not far from Michigan...
    I saw yesterday on the net that the 1940 Census will be available on april 2 - 2012, and that a lot of ancestors seekers were waiying for it.
    I'll try to call also Canada to find out if he moved there, because there are also dutch settlements there.
    I love Poland and polish people, I had some very good polish friends when I was living in North of France. Lot of Polish emigrates to France to work in coal mines

Yes, perhaps the John Rietberg who was born about 1890 found by oladub[[post#38) is your Jacob, I can't find that information or any other about him.

I had a look at some Canadian resources online and only found one Rietberg - Evert Yan, a baker in Toronto who was naturalized in 1919. Right now the Canadian census information is only available up to 1911. The Canadian census data isn't made public until 92 years after the date it was taken, so the 1926 info won't be available until 2018, the 1931 census until 2023.

If you are going to contact the Amsterdam archive again perhaps you should ask if they have any death records for either Hendrik Johannes or Jacob. I'm thinking that if Jacob had no siblings he may have gone back to deal with his father's estate and remained there.
    Last edited by Brock7; April-01-12 at 06:41 AM.

Details from 1940 Census regarding 132 million Americans are being released today online. A name index will not be immediately available to search.

There are not many Rietbergs at all in Michigan. All the similar first names are included when the list for Jacob Rietberg comes up. Also all the similar last names. There are Rutbergs, Rothbergs, even Redbirds [[Native family in Minnesota).

It wouldn't be the first time or last time that the census may have missed someone in Detroit, especially an immigrant with limited English, in a rather transient era and neighborhood.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3