Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Ralph/Roy Baker is listed in the 1919 Detroit Directory as living at 318 Conners Ave with E. A. Goff. The 1920 Directory gives two new addresses to that location, 204 and 206. Therefore, I would presume that the Goff family lived in the lower portion [[204) and that the Baker family lived in the upper apartment [[206).

Jacob Van Dyke [[age 31 in the 1920 US Census) is living at 51 [[2925 new) Benson St., between Joseph Campau and McDougall St. [map]. The 1919 Detroit Directory shows him as an autoworker who is boarding at that same address, but abbreviates his first name as "Jno" for Johannes or John.
    Thanks for the second set of eyes Mikeg. I've edited my previous post to include your corrections.

Hello, I am very excited...
    The inquiry is going really fast...like sherlock HOLMES ! Without your help, I would never find so many precious informations... thanks all
    I think [[but I'm not sure) that Roy BAKER 318 connors av Detroit-was a friend or a dutch relative who helped Jacob VAN DYK a while living or for the post adress in 1920. It verifies the first postcard information.
    For the second postcard, posted from HALFWAY december 9 at 8AM in 1926
    [[not completely sure for the year 26 or 28 ?) either he posted the card from his workplace or home living. At that time he was living with a "Mina" and several childrens
    The information of a jacob VAN DYK death in kalamazoo in 1977 [[aged 88)
    also fit because he mabe 31 yo in 1920.I try to call the town hall of kalamazoo to find out... I hope their childrens are still alive or grandchildrens.
    I have to find out the link with my dutch Rietberg family..Anyway this story is a small part of Detroit story...

Just called kalamazoo clerck, this jacob VAN DYCK was single ...?
    His death was declared by a relative Meno VAN DYK,
    Parents name: Piet VAN DYK and Antje VANDERLUGT...
    maybe the wrong way?

1920 Census @ 51 Benson
    Name: Jacob Van Dyke
    [Jacob Vandyke]
    Birth Year: abt 1889
    Birthplace: Holland
    Home in 1920: Detroit Ward 11, Wayne, Michigan
    Race: White
    Immigration Year: 1908
    Relation to Head of House: Lodger
    Father's Birthplace: Holland
    Mother's Birthplace: Holland
    Household Members:

Detroit "boarding houses" were pretty much extra space, an upper floor, or an attic, in someone's residential home. Many earlier houses built in Detroit had two floors or "flats", the purpose for one being to rent, or have other family members occupy. Pretty much all of Hamtramck is built this way.

My grandfather moved to St. Jean st. in 1914, when he was three. The family lived downstairs, but boarders lived in the attic for a small monthly fee. There were up to 8, all working various shifts at the neighborhood plants. They were not allowed to use the entry doors because of the dirt/grime they would track on the carpet, but had to use a ladder to get into the attic, which also made for an adventure because half the time the workers were drunk.

I wonder what difference is indicated by boarder, roomer and lodger on the census - I've seen all three on a single page written by the same census taker.

There is another Jacob Van Dyke in Detroit on the 1920 census, but he is Michigan born though his parents are Dutch and so is his wife. He seems like a possible fit because the family appears to be the same as one that is listed in the 1930 census in Macomb county where Halfway is located. In the 1930 census the name is given as John instead of Jacob and his daughter's name is given as Wilhelmina instead of Margaret, but his wife's name is given as Katherine and the ages seem to be a close match. I've been using Heritage Quest to access the census images, but they don't seem to have those for 1930 so I can't tell if the parentage info is the same - maybe someone else can access that.

Or it could be that this 1920 info is that of the same Jacob found by Mikeg[[post# 25) in the 1923 directory and 1930 census at 6314 May Ave.[[which I think could be the new number for 60 May Ave) and that the Macomb family is a different one since the daughter named Margaret matches, but then the wife's doesn't because it's given as Cornelia.

information taken on January 16, 1920
    Jacob Van Dyke age 33, brother-in-law to head of household, married, reads&writes, birthplace - Father and Mother are Dutch, speaks English, woodworker at auto co. - receiving wages
    Kate Van Dyke age 31, sister-in-law to head of household, married, immigrated 1896, reads&writes, birthplace - Holland, Native tongue - Dutch, Fathers birthplace - Michigan, Mothers birthplace - Holland, speaks English,
    Margaret Van Dyke age 5, Niece to head of household,
    Residing at 60 May Ave. in the mortgaged house of:
    John Soliday age 42, head of household, married, reads&writes, birthplace - Pennsylvania, Father and Mother the same, speaks English, cigar worker at cigar co. - receiving wages
    Julia Soliday age 42, wife, married, immigrated 1896, naturalized, reads&writes, birthplace - Holland, Native tongue - Dutch, Father and Mother the same, speaks English
    http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4991/jacobvandyke3.gif

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XQ1Q-Q1T

"United States Census, 1930," Wilhelmina Vandyke in household of John Vandyke [[Lenox, Macomb, Michigan)
    Name: Wilhelmina Vandyke
    Event: Census
    Event Date: 1930
    Event Place: Lenox, Macomb, Michigan
    Marital Status: Single
    Race: White
    Birthplace: Illinois
    Estimated Birth Year: 1914
    Immigration Year:
    Relationship to Head of Household: Daughter
    Father's Birthplace: Michigan
    Mother's Birthplace: Holland
    Enumeration District Number: 0025
    Family Number: 38
    Sheet Number and Letter: 2A
    Line Number: 18
    NARA Publication: T626, roll 1009
    Film Number: 2340744
    Digital Folder Number: 4609249
    Image Number: 00541
    Household Gender Age
    Parent John Vandyke M 43
    Parent Katherine Vandyke F 39
    Wilhelmina Vandyke F 16
    Florence Vandyke F 14
    John Vandyke M 4
    Hennretta Vandyke F 32
    Source Citation
    "United States Census, 1930," index and images, FamilySearch [[https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XQ1Q-Q1T : accessed 29 March 2012), Wilhelmina Vandyke in household of John Vandyke [[Lenox, Macomb, Michigan).
    Last edited by Brock7; March-29-12 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    I wonder what difference is indicated by boarder, roomer and lodger on the census - I've seen all three on a single page written by the same census taker.

There is another Jacob Van Dyke in Detroit on the 1920 census, but he is Michigan born though his parents are Dutch and so is his wife. He seems like a possible fit because the family appears to be the same as one that is listed in the 1930 census in Macomb county where Halfway is located. In the 1930 census the name is given as John instead of Jacob and his daughter's name is given as Wilhelmina instead of Margaret, but his wife's name is given as Katherine and the ages seem to be a close match. I've been using Heritage Quest to access the census images, but they don't seem to have those for 1930 so I can't tell if the parentage info is the same - maybe someone else can access that.

Or it could be that this 1920 info is that of the same Jacob found by Mikeg[[post# 25) in the 1923 directory and 1930 census at 6314 May Ave.[[which I think could be the new number for 60 May Ave) and that the Macomb family is a different one since the daughter named Margaret matches, but then the wife's doesn't because it's given as Cornelia.

information taken on January 16, 1920
    Jacob Van Dyke age 33, brother-in-law to head of household, married, reads&writes, birthplace - Father and Mother are Dutch, speaks English, woodworker at auto co. - receiving wages
    Kate Van Dyke age 31, sister-in-law to head of household, married, immigrated 1896, reads&writes, birthplace - Holland, Native tongue - Dutch, Fathers birthplace - Michigan, Mothers birthplace - Holland, speaks English,
    Margaret Van Dyke age 5, Niece to head of household,
    Residing at 60 May Ave. in the mortgaged house of:
    John Soliday age 42, head of household, married, reads&writes, birthplace - Pennsylvania, Father and Mother the same, speaks English, cigar worker at cigar co. - receiving wages
    Julia Soliday age 42, wife, married, immigrated 1896, naturalized, reads&writes, birthplace - Holland, Native tongue - Dutch, Father and Mother the same, speaks English
    http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4991/jacobvandyke3.gif
    I'm able to confirm that 60 and 6314 May Ave. are one and the same residence.

I'm pressed for time today, but I was able to find the 1930 Census image for John Vandyke in Lenox Twp. He was a veterinary surgeon who lived on Main St. in New Haven Village, about 20 miles northeast of Halfway along the Gratiot Road. The electric interurban railway followed Gratiot only out to Chesterfield Twp. where it swung east towards New Baltimore [[map).
    Last edited by Mikeg; March-29-12 at 01:59 PM.

There was a small Dutch settlement in the Northeast side of Detroit near Balduck Park Area to Grosse Pointes area since 1920s. Few of them still living scatterly around Morningside, East English Village. Few of them at Grosse Pointes and few up to St .Clair Shores, Eastpointe [[East Detroit) Area. Most of middle class Dutch folks move further away to other better cities and better life. Fewer Dutch families still claim some ghettohoods in Northeast Detroit and continue to take part and maintaining the culture practices.

There is a Jacob Vandyke who has an eastside Detroit urban farm. His company is called Rising Pheasants Farms and he has a stall at Eastern Market

Boarder, roomer, or lodger:

In theory, a boarder would be present only for meals, a roomer would only sleep there, while a lodger would receive both room and board at the house.

My father always said that he and my uncle would always sleep in the attic and my aunt had a room the size of a closet so that my grandmother could put four roomers in two bedrooms and make money to help my grandfather get his own business.

Most single men and women who did not live at home lived in rooming houses.

Hello, good afternoon,
    Yesterday I contacted the Amsterdam townhall and the the archiev service...
    And surprise there is one son born in holland on 10 febr 1889...
    His name was Jacob RIETBERG [[son of Hendrik Johannes RIETBERG and Maria
    Grafhorst) and writen to Amerika [[I think in january 8. 1920).
    The first postcard is from feb 4.1920, so less than one month after.
    How long was the trip by ship at this period ?
    I now try to find a death record for this Jacob RIETBERG who is a great great cousin.. I hope I can find him and his childrens now I get his birthday and parents..
    So BAKER has been a boarding house a while

Are you saying this Jacob Rietberg is the person who sent the postcards from Detroit and Halfway and that he left Holland in early January of 1920?

There is a John Rietberg who died in Grand Rapids in 1984 at age 94. Also, there is a Josephine Rietberg, Grand Rapids, died 1974 at age 80. John is about the right age as Jacob. Josephine may have been his wife.

Yes Brock,you are right, it is Jacob RIETBERG who sent from Detroit and Halfway
    postcards to his father in Amsterdam !...So I finally found the link.
    I had some informations on my Rietberg dutch family, but not very precise.
    Thank you Brock for your help, oladub and all other persons too.
    I'll try to call monday grand rapids clerc / townhall...maybe this john is jacob ! ?
    I allready saw that there were several RIETBERG in Michigan... some are germans, or Dutch who emigrated earlier. It is also possible that this Jacob
    RIETBERG moved or died in an other US State...I think we will find out !

I wonder if Christophe is as impressed as I am with all of the generous help he has received from all of you, and I wonder how his impression of the Motor City has changed over the last week or so. Tres bien.

Agreed PaulGaul, it never fails to impress me that so many nice people can reach out and help. I am certain we have the finest amateur sleuths around.

However, I was hoping someone could summarize events. Maybe I'm slow but I'm confused by all the different names. I thought we were looking for some Baker guy, but then his name changed to VanDyke and now Rietberg?

That's my problem, I am confused. Jacob who wrote the letter, first we thought he was Jacob Baker, then somehow, he was Jacob Vandyke? Now Jacob Rietberg? Or were there three different families in this search? One of them had a wife named Mina and one was single?

This thread reminds me of the "French woman searches traces of grandfather …" thread. Great work all.

Sorry, I know it has been a little confusing. The problem is that I have only 2 postcards with nearly nothing writen on it , except adresses and place/date...
    The first postcard gave only Mr and Ms Baker- 318 connors av in Detroit [[in 1920) who we discovered seemed a boarding host House... and not the name of the sender of the card.
    Above the Name of H . RIETBERG in Amsterdam there was also
    writen Mr Van DYK to H.RIETBERG, and now I think this Van DYK
    was the logger.
    I first thought that it could be a daughter of this H.RIETBERG in Amsterdam, who when she married had an other name.
    But now I just found that H.RIETBERG had only one son; Jacob RIETBERG, born on 10 febr 1889 in Kampen [[Holland) and emigrated to USA .
    The second postcard from 1926 posted from HALFWAY only
    indicated: "from Jacob, Mina and childrens..."
    I live in France, so not so close from Holland and USA,
    and I love you people from Detrroit.I know it is not easy it's why I need your help! I am sure , really sure we can find this Jacob RIETBERG and his descendants!
    As I said before it is very important for me For the John in Grand Rapids, they seem to be born in Michigan

Well, let me try to recap. At first delaume just had two postcards left to him by his Dutch grandmother, I presume they were not signed with the full name just Jacob or Jacob, Wilhelmina and children. The first had a return address of Mr. & Mrs. Baker at 318 Connors Ave, but this was when he first arrived in 1920 and he may have only been staying with them temporarily or receiving mail there. The second postcard six years later I'm guessing only had a postmark of Halfway and no return address. They were both sent to Mr. H. Rietberg in Amsterdam. Then later[[post# 20) he turned up a letter also addressed to Mr. H. Rietberg from a Jacob Van Dyk and at first assumed this must be the same Jacob who sent the postcards. He then[[post# 36) contacted the Amsterdam town hall archive service which informed him that this Mr. H. Rietburg, who I presume he knows to be his grandmothers relation, had a son named Jacob, born Feb. 10, 1889, and now believes that this is the Jacob who came to Detroit and sent the postcards - so that puts Jacob Van Dyk out of the picture.

While looking for info to help out delaume I did some searching on my own family and turned up some info I never knew such as my paternal great-grandparents names and my paternal grandparents occupations from a marriage record. I've always been frustrated before that I couldn't find them listed in the census. And I love reading the historical and current insights and anecdotes from everyone that turn up in a thread like this.

To confuse matters, there are a couple of Michigan born Jacob Rietbergs of about the same vintage in Grand Rapids - both with fathers named Albert D Rietberg.
    https://www.familysearch.org/search/records/index#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AJacob~ %2Bsurname%3ARietberg~
    Jacob Lincoln Rietberg
    birth: Feb 12, 1894 Grand Rapids,​ Kent County,​ Michigan
    parents: Albert D Rietberg,​ Margaret Rietberg[[Burn)
    spouse: Lillian Rietberg[[Bower)
    children: Marjorie M Reitberg,​ Dorothy G Reitberg

Jacob Rietberg
    birth: Sept. 28, 1892 Grand Rapids, Kent County, Michigan
    parents: Albert D Rietberg,​ Nilsje[[Nancy?) Rietberg

@delaume Do you know for certain that Jacob Rietberg emigrated with a wife? Do both postcards seem to be in the same handwriting?

I was typing my post while delaume posted, but I'll leave it for now though I'm not sure I got it quite right because it reflects what I understood of the situation.

Are you saying the first postcard indicates it was sent from Mr. Van Dyk? Is the message signed with a name?
    Last edited by Brock7; March-31-12 at 03:33 AM.

Of the Grand Rapids Rietbergs:

The John Rietberg who was born in about 1890 is not the same as [[from Brock7)
    Jacob Lincoln Rietberg
    birth: Feb 12, 1894 Grand Rapids,​ Kent County,​ Michigan
    parents: Albert D Rietberg,​ Margaret Rietberg[[Burn)
    spouse: Lillian Rietberg[[Bower)
    children: Marjorie M Reitberg,​ Dorothy G Reitberg

Also, I suspect that this last Jacob Rietberg was born in the US with a middle name of Lincoln and a spouse and wife who had what are probably not Dutch names.

Yes, he was born in Michigan per 1900 Census:

NAME: Jacob L Rietberg
    BIRTH: Feb 1894 - Michigan
    RESIDENCE: Grand Rapids Ward 9, Kent,Michigan

Brock, you understand very well the complexity / difficulty of
    my seek. As you asked me I compared the 2 postcards which seemed to be writen by the same person.
    There is no sign, I think this Mr Van Dyk was living in Amsterdam in the same building as the father. So he is out of the seek !
    The important thing is now to find the right jacob RIETBERG, with a Michigan or US later census: 1930- 1940-1950...
    or a death record mentioning his birth date / place, and name of his parents [[father Hendrik Johannes RIETBERG).
    Monday I 'll contact the Amsterdam archieves to find out if he married in Holland or not, and even with which person.
    I'll try also to contact in Michigan the reformed church, you never know...The Rietberg in Grand rapids do not like to fit with the birth place: Kampen NL and parents name...
    Why is the search so difficult??...
    Brock, from which country are your ancestors from ?

I had no luck with the 1920 or 1930 census for Jacob Rietberg of either Detroit or anywhere in Macomb County [[where Halfway or Eastpointe is). It could be that he was not here at the right time to fill out the 1920 census, but what happened to him for 1930? The 1930 Grand Rapids Rietbergs are the same families as in the 1920 census. Nobody listed in Kalamazoo by that name.

I found no one named either Jacob nor Wilhelmina nor Hermina Rietberg in the SSDI [[Social Security Death Index). That is not surprising, since SS did not go into effect until nearly 1940.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; March-31-12 at 05:19 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast