Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    As usual everyone is flying off the handle without knowing the whole story. Its just another "cause" for someone to push their agenda. Now to put a different twist when my father was murdered here in the city [[white person shot by several black youths) the reaction from the black community was essentially to f***ing bad he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and it was his fault for being there. Even the Judge [[a black male) was going to let them off with a slap on the wrist even though they plead guilty. Fortunately the Wayne Co. prosecutors were able to appeal the decision which the criminals ended up fighting almost to the Supreme Court. So it cuts both ways! Also Mr. Henderson mentions that Mr. Zimmerman is white he should get his own facts straight Zimmerman is Hispanic. Sound like an agenda to me.
    My belated condolences on the loss of your father. If this is the case I think it is, I remember it well. I don't know who you spoke to in the Black community that gave you some indication of the reaction to that murder, but I can tell you that as a member of the Black community, my reaction and that of people I spoke to about it was that it a horrific crime and and that the perpetrators should face be tried as adults and put in jail for life. The judge, I think it was Roberson, was criticized by myself and others for his lenient treatment of the criminals in this case and we were happy to see the prosecutor appeal Roberson's actions.

No one I knew referred to that case as "too bad" and "he was in the wrong place at the wrong time" or blamed the victim. Anyone who did, is an idiot.

Again, I am sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Well, Zimmerman's father is Euro-Anglo while his mother is Peruvian. Zimmerman speaks fluent Spanish. I am not sure whether or not Zimmerman self-identifies with the Hispano-American culture of Peru or with US-Anglo culture.

There seems to be some physical and eye-witness evidence that Zimmerman was on his back on the ground with a broken nose after being assaulted by Martin before he pulled the gun and fired the fatal shot.

Possibly there needs to be a balanced weighing of the evidence pro and con though that doesn't sell newpapers.
    Also, you living in South Florida are probably already well aware, many Hispanics identify themselves as "white".

It is a true fact that any person can have a defensive attitude toward a black man. ANY person, black, white, Indio, Asian. It is like the whole Western attitude fostered by movies and media that Indians must wear feathers and be threatening or be lazy drunks and be threatening. Same thing, black man walking along minding his own business must be threatening, as conditioned by news media.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    My belated condolences on the loss of your father. If this is the case I think it is, I remember it well. I don't know who you spoke to in the Black community that gave you some indication of the reaction to that murder, but I can tell you that as a member of the Black community, my reaction and that of people I spoke to about it was that it a horrific crime and and that the perpetrators should face be tried as adults and put in jail for life. The judge, I think it was Roberson, was criticized by myself and others for his lenient treatment of the criminals in this case and we were happy to see the prosecutor appeal Roberson's actions.

No one I knew referred to that case as "too bad" and "he was in the wrong place at the wrong time" or blamed the victim. Anyone who did, is an idiot.

Again, I am sorry for your loss.
    Thank you for kind words! What was pathetic one of those idiots was a then city council member.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Thank you for kind words! What was pathetic one of those idiots was a then city council member.
    Wow!! That is crazy. My condolences as well.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Also, you living in South Florida are probably already well aware, many Hispanics identify themselves as "white".
    Interesting,my children are gringo mix on my side and although they maintain their mothers heritage they do identify themselves as "white" or Caucasian but I am not sure if it is because of the tensions between the white and the Hispanics or not.I guess I will ask them.

The area that is being discussed needs a little perspective,I bought and restored a historic house 1/2 block from that complex which kinda sits by itself.The 7-11 is caddy corner across the 4 lane road behind the 7-11 is an area that is what some may call the projects in which the nightly past time seems to be shooting ones weapon off ,pretty much all night long .So there are some pretty high tensions going on there to start with.

There is a reason that community is gated and guarded,and although I can take care of myself I did not go across the 4 lane to the 7-11 without being armed it does not make me a racist I do not care what color anybody is threaten me or my family and whatever it takes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2