Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by bopcity View Post
    What "neighborhood watch captain" are you referring to? Surely you're equating this incident with the jackass who murdered an unarmed kid walking back to his dad's house with a box of Skittles.

If you are, you're a reprehensible jerk. But I'm hoping that's not the case.

http://bostonherald.com/news/nationa...orge_zimmerman
    I'm not trying to to compare or justify these actions but simply pointing out that in a society where defending what is yours with a weapon tragedies are going to occur. The fact that this business felt a need hire an armed guard to defend it highlights the reason others are arming them selfs too. It is not a good situation to have to be in. There are more loose cannons out there all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I'm not trying to to compare or justify these actions but simply pointing out that in a society where defending what is yours with a weapon tragedies are going to occur. The fact that this business felt a need hire an armed guard to defend it highlights the reason others are arming them selfs too. It is not a good situation to have to be in. There are more loose cannons out there all the time.
    Un-fucking-believable how some idiots can so conveniently overlook such vitally important details. The paranoid and self-appointed crime watch volunteer was the loose cannon. He was not, by any stretch of the imagination, defending what was his, nothing of his was at issue. The simple fact is that he went out and took an innocent child's life for no discernible reason.

And now you're actually defending an armed racist imbecile murdering an innocent kid who had gone to the store for snacks during half time of a basketball game he was enjoying with his father? Equating him with an armed robber? Take a look in the mirror, pathetically disgusting idiots like you are no better than these criminals, you're all a bane on any decent person's existence and that's the problem most of us should be worried about.

Un-fucking-believable how some idiots can so conveniently overlook such vitally important details. The paranoid and self-appointed crime watch volunteer was the loose cannon. He was not, by any stretch of the imagination, defending what was his, nothing of his was at issue. The simple fact is that he went out and took an innocent child's life for no discernible reason.

And now you're actually defending an armed racist imbecile murdering an innocent kid who had gone to the store for snacks during half time of a basketball game he was enjoying with his father? Equating him with an armed robber? Take a look in the mirror, pathetically disgusting idiots like you are no better than these criminals, you're all a bane on any decent person's existence and that's the problem most of us should be worried about.
    What the hell are you reading? Idiots are the people that read things into a statement that are not even close to the meaning of the statment.

I'm reading and responding to your exact words. Care to explain which "neighborhood watch captain" you were initially referring to?

Nowhere did I make any statement to defend anyone. Nowhere did I make any mention of race. My statements were about guns and violence and you seem to have read what you wanted to here. Save your attitude and name calling for somewhere it is justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    It is not only the highlights the businesses hired "armed guards". It is "Life" which is more precious the "highlights" There is no telling what these "animals" would had done to the cashiers and other employees if the armed guard was not there. A message had to be sent. Those two fools would had gotten shot by police officers if they were in the suburbs trying to pull off the same stunt. I hope the other jerk gets caught. I hope that it was not an inside job

SteveJ Guest

Every business owner should have a weapon. Just saw on the news recently that in the parking lot of Holiday Market in Royal Oak, some nut was running around with a knife trying to stab people and this guy pulled out a gun and stopped him from killing anyone. I'm not a gun person but I have no problem with armed citizens. We need to make these losers think twice about robbing a store. They obviously have no problem walking into a gas station and shooting you in the face after you gave them your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Every business owner should have a weapon. Just saw on the news recently that in the parking lot of Holiday Market in Royal Oak, some nut was running around with a knife trying to stab people and this guy pulled out a gun and stopped him from killing anyone. I'm not a gun person but I have no problem with armed citizens. We need to make these losers think twice about robbing a store. They obviously have no problem walking into a gas station and shooting you in the face after you gave them your wallet.

SteveJ, I'm not a gun person either, but like you, I can't help but think it would be a lot better if all business owners or attendants were armed. More guns equals less violence or at least less chance of a violent outcome when crimes occur. More and more guns are the answer. Just make the bearers more responsible, good training and better registration, tighter rules on who can own them, for instance; severe limits on mentally unstable folks. But definitely more guns. Maybe a law to ensure every business owner owns one. Think about it. That may be in the future. Then you will definitely feel safer, wont you?

I'd rather thieves used knives. I'd rather we had an effective and quick, community-oriented police force that could intervene before people end up committing armed robbery [[from what I understand, people tend to escalate their crimes). I'd rather a robber go through the justice system which is the hallmark of civilized society.

I know the reality of Detroit is not there right now. I feel some of the comments show a kind of glee from killing or a bloodlust. It's not good that a man died. Even though this killing was justified and it is right that the security guard will not be prosecuted. I'm glad that no bystanders were killed this time.

I do think there is probably more we could do as a society to promote civility. Or at least make people comfortable enough that they don't go into survival mode and start robbing. I think that there is a point where most of us would do what it takes to survive.

SteveJ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    SteveJ, I'm not a gun person either, but like you, I can't help but think it would be a lot better if all business owners or attendants were armed. More guns equals less violence or at least less chance of a violent outcome when crimes occur. More and more guns are the answer. Just make the bearers more responsible, good training and better registration, tighter rules on who can own them, for instance; severe limits on mentally unstable folks. But definitely more guns. Maybe a law to ensure every business owner owns one. Think about it. That may be in the future. Then you will definitely feel safer, wont you?
    No, its not about me. Its about the business owners and workers of these stores who are gunned down. In the old days, some idiot would hold up a store and take the money and run. Now, they take the money and kill you. At least you have a chance with a gun. Without a gun, you are just target practice for the ghetto thug.

No, its not about me. Its about the business owners and workers of these stores who are gunned down. In the old days, some idiot would hold up a store and take the money and run. Now, they take the money and kill you. At least you have a chance with a gun. Without a gun, you are just target practice for the ghetto thug.
    Totally agree with all of the above. Only problem is, when somebody gets the jump on you it's all over. You can have a Glock on your hip and a .38 on your ankle, not going to do any good. If you're in a situation that doesn't feel right, have your hand on the butt of your gun, finger off the trigger.

That's a trip... Holiday is one of my favorite specialty stores for somethings [[when I can afford to go there). What was on this guys mind? Police response in Royal Oak is quick! Good that situation go put down fast!

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...holiday-market
    Every business owner should have a weapon. Just saw on the news recently that in the parking lot of Holiday Market in Royal Oak, some nut was running around with a knife trying to stab people and this guy pulled out a gun and stopped him from killing anyone. I'm not a gun person but I have no problem with armed citizens.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-25-12 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    And you can't buy american at dollar general
    Oh yes you can... I buy a lot of products there... only USA made... paper towels, Kleenex, and many other household items. I avoid Chinese made whenever possible...

Robberies take place in all of metro Detroit... here in SCS the 7-Eleven got robbbed at 10 Mile/Jefferson.

Killing a perp does bring forth a complex reaction from Detroiters.

That's right. Dollar General unlike Dollar Tree which sells alot of imatation Greenbreir [[sp?) stuff made just for the DT chain from China, Dollar General does carry more major brands, not all made overseas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Oh yes you can... I buy a lot of products there... only USA made... paper towels, Kleenex, and many other household items. I avoid Chinese made whenever possible...

Robberies take place in all of metro Detroit... here in SCS the 7-Eleven got robbbed at 10 Mile/Jefferson.

So true. It's unfortunate that a human life was taken. However, how many innocent lives were saved because this perp was put down? If the guard wasn't there he and his partner in crime might have killed someone. I feel for those who might have loved this young man, but I am also angry that they didn't do enough in his life to deter him from making such an unwise decision. In the long run, an 18 year old who is willing to use a gun to steal is better off dead than to have him incarcerated sucking up tax payers hard-earn money or worst yet, in jail because during that crime he killed one or more people. I know this sounds harsh, but he was old enough to make other choices about his life and he didn't. I know I will feel better about living in Detroit knowing that this perp won't be coming after me or a loved one.

What "neighborhood watch captain" are you referring to? Surely you're equating this incident with the jackass who murdered an unarmed kid walking back to his dad's house with a box of Skittles.
    That case is a provocation-why else is it seizing national headlines over a month after it occurred? Only a grand jury can decide, but if you're into racial polarity, Detroit, Boston http://www.usnews.com/news/national/...ous-photograph, & of course Miami http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/200...mcduffie-riots are the places to go. I can promise you unless you're out for a free entertainment center, riots ain't fun-we came dangerously close here on Malice Green. Increase The Peace. As for the Dollar General matter, a woman claiming to be his mother online insists her son was "set up": http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...er-20120323-ms

Hmmm, you're referring to the 'comments' where it's claimed he was set up.... [[an inside job with two female staff who allegedly lured him to participate with a gun) crazy, he so brought a gun into an establishment for a robbery - was confronted by security, threatened security with said gun and was shot. Ok, I see the 'set up' ----
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    As for the Dollar General matter, a woman claiming to be his mother online insists her son was "set up": http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...er-20120323-ms
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-02-12 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I'm assuming that you're being sarcastic here... and I agree.

On the other hand, I don't think that you can necessarily lump all these incidents into one casue-effect relationship. I mean, this is a trained police officer with 20 or more years of experience who intervened in a robbery attempt where property and life were at risk, and had a gun pointed at him.

Along these lines, the only pro-gun stance I can sympathize with is that as long as guns are available across the country with varying degrees of screening, and widely present on the streets fro various legal and illegal channels, it is difficult to take the high ground and say get rid of the guns for all the 'responsible' people [[or even from law enforcement, as is the case in Canada/UK [[I think?)). That's like your commander declaring a cease-fire from your side of the fire line without any assurance that the other side will do the same.

The very fine line, which you also illuded to, is that who decides that this ex-cop can carry but the ambitious wanna-be cop in Florida shouldn't?

Hopefully the end result is that criminals will think twice, and not that they'll come back with more ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    On the other hand, I don't think that you can necessarily lump all these incidents into one casue-effect relationship. I mean, this is a trained police officer with 20 or more years of experience who intervened in a robbery attempt where property and life were at risk, and had a gun pointed at him.
    That's the key difference between this security guard having a gun at the right place at the right time and just any person having a gun. Putting guns in the hands of everyone just insures that there will be plenty more cases of misuse.

Also, there probably isn't a single gun in America that was manufactured illegally. ALL GUNS WERE LEGAL AT SOME POINT. If you want to control illegal guns then you need to control the legal ones. Can't have the former without the latter.

Here's the thing with gun control:

Lawful people obey laws. Make guns illegal\more restricted, and lawful people won't have guns.

Unlawful people don't obey laws. If you make guns illegal\more restricted it will not impede unlawful people from unlawfully obtaining guns, and then using them for unlawful things.

In the case of this thread topic, one gun was used unlawfully to rob a store. The other gun was used lawfully to defend the lives of the people and workers in the store.

Some punk-thug is dead. Oh well. I wish the best to his family, but to deceased I have no sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Here's the thing with gun control:

Lawful people obey laws. Make guns illegal\more restricted, and lawful people won't have guns.

Unlawful people don't obey laws. If you make guns illegal\more restricted it will not impede unlawful people from unlawfully obtaining guns, and then using them for unlawful things.
    However, it could allow the authorities to better target criminals and limit the innocent lives claimed by them.

Don't get me wrong, I see the nuances to the situation... But I don't think more guns is the answer. I hear few cops saying that handing out more guns is preferable to better gun control measures and cops are by far better trained to handle guns than the average citizen would be. The current Detroit police chief is practically begging for better gun control measures. Newark's mayor, Cory Booker, is constantly campaigning against lax gun control. The NYPD, who some people on this forum like to tout as the model of what DPD should aspire to be, is EXTREMELY heavy handed in their enforcement of gun control policies. Mayor Bloomberg himself saw to it that Plaxico Burress was prosecuted for possession of the gun with which he accidentally shot himself; Burress had an expired handgun permit from Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    So true. It's unfortunate that a human life was taken. However, how many innocent lives were saved because this perp was put down? If the guard wasn't there he and his partner in crime might have killed someone. I feel for those who might have loved this young man, but I am also angry that they didn't do enough in his life to deter him from making such an unwise decision. In the long run, an 18 year old who is willing to use a gun to steal is better off dead than to have him incarcerated sucking up tax payers hard-earn money or worst yet, in jail because during that crime he killed one or more people. I know this sounds harsh, but he was old enough to make other choices about his life and he didn't. I know I will feel better about living in Detroit knowing that this perp won't be coming after me or a loved one.
    I agree. Those who are interested in applying for a job in Arm Robbery must understand that there is an occupational hazard to the job. You may get shot and killed yourself. The Atisha family should use one of those empty storefront as a guard station for the strip mall. Lance wondered why the stores are not coming to the mall. He thinks that businesses don't want to spend money. . I feel that businesses don't open in places where they feel that there customers or employees would not be safe. I don't know if this was an inside job. I don't know if the competition had set this up. I do know that serious measures has to be taken to make the mall SAFE and enticing to potential businesses who are looking for a place near downtown to set up shop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2