Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    BTW I consider Hard Rock Cafe a mediocre chain restaurant, and they are pretty much in EVERY American city, but in Detroit it matters , sad but true.

This also sends a signal to others questioning , "Wow downtown has an olga's? , Hey there's one in my area too" it send a sense of comfort to Folks from and burbs and tourist .
    Olga's is not a national chain. It is regional with its original store in Birmingham. Few Olga's are seen outside of th expanded region. Not many tourists will be as excited to eat here than they will be to eat at Lafayette CI or sadly, Hard Rock.

I was aware that Olga's is not a national chain , I was just pointing out that a well known chain in our region and a few National/International chains, ie. Texas de brazil / HRC, have put their toes in the water in Downtown Detroit.
    Also even though I, and a Generations of Detroiters love Lafayette CI, Having Olga's will appeal to a MUCH wider crowd, ie. [[not being sexist here), but [[women who lunch ;-))
    You see what I'm getting at , Lafayette is mostly an guys/sports/after hours, quick bite to eat place we all love . It will be here LONG after we are all gone LOL .

I was aware that Olga's is not a national chain , I was just pointing out that a well known chain in our region and a few National/International chains, ie. Texas de brazil / HRC, have put their toes in the water in Downtown Detroit.
    Also even though I, and a Generations of Detroiters love Lafayette CI, Having Olga's will appeal to a MUCH wider crowd, ie. [[not being sexist here), but [[women who lunch ;-))
    You see what I'm getting at , Lafayette is mostly an guys/sports/after hours, quick bite to eat place we all love . It will be here LONG after we are all gone LOL .
    Hey buddy, it is the truth, my mom LOVES that place and I think it's extremely over priced. Give me Lafayette CI any day over Olga's!

Yeah I'm sure they will find their nitch crowd

W00t!

I'm going to try to hit that next week!

Haha! Just like I said. Olga's at 1040 Woodward is opening on tax day!

I was downtown yesterday and I notice they were putting up the Olga's sign on the corner[[gratiot side) of the building[[compuware) . I would post pics but the site doesn't support Iphone's photos :-[[
    If someone has a cam and can post pics that would be great !
    I'll try to load them on my computer later today .

Well I was Downtown and I took a couple pics.
    what do you guys think ?Name:  IMG_0729.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  50.7 KBName:  IMG_0731.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  37.0 KBName:  IMG_0732.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  47.2 KB
    Not sure how to turn the last picture around? when I posted it it was right side up ? :-)
    Also the lights won't flash or move they will just stay lit, but I think it's still a cool looking sign for lower Woodward.
    Last edited by Detroitdave; April-14-12 at 03:49 PM. Reason: pics

Is that a giant toothpick in the last pic?

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    Is that a giant toothpick in the last pic?
    Probably. You don't want gyro meat falling on unsuspecting people on the sidewalk, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Probably. You don't want gyro meat falling on unsuspecting people on the sidewalk, do you?
    LOL - agree!

@ downtownguy funny !
    @ AGinthe313 yeah it is .

Or upon a traffic enforcement person watching a meter tick down...
    Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post

well maybe onto the traffic enforcement people LOL , we all know they eat their young ! lol ;-)

Well, they're open. They have breakfast from 7am-10:30. I called because I'm thinking I'd rather go for dinner today when they probably won't be as busy. The recording while I waited says they deliver "within Detroit" and have free delivery in the Compuware Building. When I got a real person, she said they stay open until "I think" 9pm. Good to know they plan to have long hours. You can also order onilne. The menu is here: https://olgasfastcasual.alohaorderon...rderEntry.aspx

I really like the new sign. I saw it on my way in today. It's unique and has a very "downtown" feel to it.

Maybe this is a "sign" of things to come ? Maybe this will inspire others to dip their "feet" into the "scary" Downtown market ?
    If this restaurant works out, which I think it will, this could be an actual start of a tide even more restaurants and stores coming into downtown and midtown?

Apparently Olga's Kitchen in the Compuware Building is having its grand opening today.

Stopped in before the Tiger game Thurs. at noon. Not impressed. Very small menu. You must order at the counter before sitting down. It appears they are catering mostly to the business lunch take-out crowd. The decor is VERY minimal as though they are trying out the space and could pack up in a hurry. Still I hope they do well.

smaller than other Olga's?

@ Don401 at first I was taken aback by ordering at the front desk,, but I would think this would work faster for the heavy lunch crowds they have.
    When I've been my food comes MUCH faster than waiting for a server to take my order , take it back to put it in , they the kitchen starts it , this way there is a heads start .
    I like the minimal look of it, I don't like place that look clutter or old fashion. If you go to most urban cities most new designs of new hotels and restaurants and malls have been updated .
    on a different / side note , when are they going to update EVERY MALL in The entire metro area, EVERY mall in SE Michigan is so out of date, even Sommerset, and 12 Oaks two of the best malls in the area, even though they say they did a redo in 2007 it looks the same . Maybe I should send Taubman a e-mail :-)

I like Olga's as a downtown resident because it is something else that is open past 6pm, including Sundays!

Shollin Guest

@ Don401 at first I was taken aback by ordering at the front desk,, but I would think this would work faster for the heavy lunch crowds they have.
    When I've been my food comes MUCH faster than waiting for a server to take my order , take it back to put it in , they the kitchen starts it , this way there is a heads start .
    I like the minimal look of it, I don't like place that look clutter or old fashion. If you go to most urban cities most new designs of new hotels and restaurants and malls have been updated .
    on a different / side note , when are they going to update EVERY MALL in The entire metro area, EVERY mall in SE Michigan is so out of date, even Sommerset, and 12 Oaks two of the best malls in the area, even though they say they did a redo in 2007 it looks the same . Maybe I should send Taubman a e-mail :-)
    Universal has completely overhauled. Then again, was it ever a real mall? It seemed to go downhill pretty quickly

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3