Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Detroit dragway

Yea, I lived on the eastside, 6 Mile & Davison I know what you mean. There was bad blood between us and the Detroit Dragway guys so we went to Motor City Dragway. I went out to the old site and it’s still there overgrown with weeds.Name:  motor city.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  204.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Well said!
    Rube Weiss, RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    I went out to the old site and it’s still there overgrown with weeds.
    Can you still hear the engines and tires?

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    NHRA would not let the Bronco Buster race in 1967, it got parted out and some of it recycled, some of it scrapped.

In 1970 I was offered the Fiberglass body shell for free, while most of the lettering was sanded off there was still enough of that and the graphics visible on it. Person who owned it was moving out of state and could not take it with him. My problems were mainly "where the hell do I put this thing?" As is I had one car stored at a relative's farm, a blown up motorcycle in the back yard of the upper flat that I was renting and barely enough money to to live on while trying to finish HS and work part time in the city commuting 40 miles a day in what was to become my vocation for close to fifty years.

I read that someone had found the original frame, restoring it and was seeking the original body for it. I answered that it was once in my grasp, I had to decline the offer. The person that had it has passed, none of our mutual friends that are still alive knows where it ended up either. I would hazard a guess that it is buried somewhere in the landfill outside of Salem, in the bulk residential customer dropoff area.

Wonder how much that body would be worth today? Don't even want to think about it.
    When the Buster was sold....it raced under another name. Frame wound-up somewhere near Chitown where a Hemi was installed, unsure whether it ever raced again or not?

There are ghosts and spirits of all the old drag racers that still that haunt the abandon dragstrips........................................ .............................................. The Haunted Dragstrip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNUKPoVbyIg

Name:  drag.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  87.9 KB
    Last edited by CassTechGrad; February-25-19 at 11:40 AM.

It may have been, I'm not sure. I never was really interested in Funny Cars anyhow. Altered wheelbase FX classes were more my style together with gassers. All I know, the body was there, paint was dull, had been sanded down, metalflake IIRC. The graphics were still there but thin and dull. Maybe the Nash team had multiple bodies if one was damaged, don't know. But supposedly this one was from the race truck. The friend that had it knew the whole story, back then it was just another piece of junk that nobody wanted, If memory serves me correct he worked for Doug Nash and that is how he got the body. He wanted to build it into a street car but never got to it and moved to the West Coast about 1971.

Building that into a legal street car would have been a challenge back then to me, I was piecing crashed and worn out cars into drivers and racers at the time.

Perhaps some saw a thread on Electric cars that whoop any gas cars ass....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2