Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Stosh Guest

And in the ultimate example of just how Mac RULES over Microsoft, my own parents still have Windows and they are constantly e-mailing me MICROSOFT documents that their WINDOWS PC's can no longer open, and then I use my MAC to open these old MICROSOFT documents for them!
    ??? What kind of documents are they? Let me guess, Lotus Works...

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    ??? What kind of documents are they? Let me guess, Lotus Works...
    LOL! I did explicitly say MICROSOFT, didn't I?

Powerpoint. Word 2008. You know, the stuff that's not included and that you have to pay hundreds of dollars to install and then it's worthless a couple of years later because the rest of the world is on the upgrade which your version can no longer read.

As for Lotus....oh my goodness. That might as well be a slide rule. I remember 15 years ago having Lotus Notes [[at work) before the days of MS Outlook. We used to call it Lotus Bloats. I guess there IS actually something out there worse than Microsoft [[assuming Lotus is actually still out there).

Powerpoint. Word 2008
    . You know, the stuff that's not included and that you have to pay hundreds of dollars to install and then it's worthless a couple of years later because the rest of the world is on the upgrade which your version can no longer read.
    You said that their PC could NO LONGER open. Did they revert to a previous version of Office? Also, there is no Word 2008. There is an Office 2007, but that will open any document back to at least Office 97. What is the extension on these documents?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    You said that their PC could NO LONGER open. Did they revert to a previous version of Office? Also, there is no Word 2008. There is an Office 2007, but that will open any document back to at least Office 97. What is the extension on these documents?
    Just between us, I really have resolved the issues; I'm not looking for technical help. And of course I exaggerate some of the Windows/Mac differences for dramatic effect, even though it is all rooted in truth.

But just to satisfy curiosity - my parents have Word 2003 or 2000, not sure which. Recently they were sent an attachment with a .docx attachment, which they couldn't open and even I had never even heard of .docx, and when I researched it I found it was just a Word document created in a later version of Word than they had. At the time I didn't yet have Apple's iWorks, so all I could do was tell my parents to go to the person that sent them that attachment and ask them to save them another that was compatible with their version of word [[at least in Word you can still save documents in the format of older versions, yes, I know that, and that's how they worked around it at that time).

Later, when I got iWorks on my Apple, I found that my current version of Pages [[Apple's equivalent of Word) was able to open the docx document directly with no further intervention required.

Just for future info, and for anyone else who happens to read this, there is a converter available on MS website for just these problems:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

cheddar bob Guest

I have bought some software, but they are games like Civilization IV which is pretty hard on video memory but my computer [[559mb video memory) plays it just fine.

You don't have to spend the money on Microsoft Office. I use Open Office that will open any file I've ever needed to open and it's free. AVG is a free antivirus that works great. Spybot for spyware and it is free, also. I'm not sure where people are spending all this money for Windows programs.

Whoa, Windows just installed an update and I didn't even notice because it was downloading and installing in the background. If it hadn't popped up an alert to an impending restart, I never would have known.

Running a Mac doesn't require rocket science, which is exactly my point.
    My point, also. Of course, running Windows isn't rocket surgery, either. If I can run it hassle-free then just about anybody should be able to.

I've had OpenOffice running on a couple machines too, and it seems like the way to go if you don't have the cash [[or even if you do) for Office. Some of the formatting options aren't there is you do very specific functions for your job or whatever, but generally speaking, it should be enough for day to day stuff.
    Also, you're right on about AVG and Spybot. Throw in Malwarebytes, and a free ZoneAlarm firewall and your security needs should be met.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    LOL! I did explicitly say MICROSOFT, didn't I?

Powerpoint. Word 2008. You know, the stuff that's not included and that you have to pay hundreds of dollars to install and then it's worthless a couple of years later because the rest of the world is on the upgrade which your version can no longer read.

As for Lotus....oh my goodness. That might as well be a slide rule. I remember 15 years ago having Lotus Notes [[at work) before the days of MS Outlook. We used to call it Lotus Bloats. I guess there IS actually something out there worse than Microsoft [[assuming Lotus is actually still out there).
    Yes, but given the previous inaccuracies in your posts, that's the only thing that I could have concievably thought of that would do that. I actually know people that still use it for word processing. Stubborn.

Sorry I'm late to the party about the Open Office software. There's no reason NOT to have this for any file opening purposes [[documents) and the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Yes, but given the previous inaccuracies in your posts, that's the only thing that I could have concievably thought of that would do that. I actually know people that still use it for word processing. Stubborn.

Sorry I'm late to the party about the Open Office software. There's no reason NOT to have this for any file opening purposes [[documents) and the price is right.
    I agree, for the last several months before breaking from Windows to go to Mac, I did use Open Office and was pretty pleased with it. It was a little different from Word in some ways, but had pretty much all the same functionality [[definitely came closer to Word than Mac's Pages does). At the time I switched to Mac, I attempted to download Open Office, but at least as of that time Open Office wasn't yet available for Mac.

I do now have Office 2004 for Mac which I got at the time of buying my Mac because I was just too nervous about going off of Word cold turkey at the time, but have since been weaning myself off of it and onto the comparable Apple products. Office has more bells and whistles, to be sure, but given the cost I have no intention of investing in future upgrades of Office, so hope to eventually be totally migrated to Apple in the near future.

I'd certainly give Open Office a try again if/when it has or does become available for Mac. Just not a high priority for me right now - I'm more interested in getting more used to iWorks [[Apple's name for the whole suite).
    Last edited by EMG; June-18-09 at 03:03 PM.

cheddar bob Guest

I attempted to download Open Office, but at least as of that time Open Office wasn't yet available for Mac
    So, it just works, just not with Open Office? Gotcha. You could have played Civilization IV with me, but you would have only had to wait over 8 months for the software. I guess Macs just work......................eventually.

I haven't had to buy new software in all this time
    That's great.
    I do now have Office 2004 for Mac which I got at the time of buying my Mac because I was just too nervous about going off of Word cold turkey at the time
    Ooops. Strike my previous statement. I guess you're still buying software [[which ironically, would have been free with Open Office on your PC.

Keep your Mac. Apparently you fit in perfectly with that cult.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post
    So, it just works, just not with Open Office? Gotcha. You could have played Civilization IV with me, but you would have only had to wait over 8 months for the software. I guess Macs just work......................eventually.

That's great.

Ooops. Strike my previous statement. I guess you're still buying software [[which ironically, would have been free with Open Office on your PC.

Keep your Mac. Apparently you fit in perfectly with that cult.
    Nope. I bought the Mac for Office the day I bought the Mac. Not having bought new software [[except for Leopard and iLife which I bought voluntarily as earlier stated) since then remains a true statement. No Norton, no utilities, no cleanup programs, none of that crap that a PC needs to be fed every month or two just to keep running properly.

As for Civilization IV....I guess I just won't know what I'm missing. Ignorance will have to remain bliss.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    I'd certainly give Open Office a try again if/when it has or does become available for Mac. Just not a high priority for me right now - I'm more interested in getting more used to iWorks [[Apple's name for the whole suite).

Nope. I bought the Mac for Office the day I bought the Mac. Not having bought new software [[except for Leopard and iLife which I bought voluntarily as earlier stated) since then remains a true statement. No Norton, no utilities, no cleanup programs, none of that crap that a PC needs to be fed every month or two just to keep running properly.

As for Civilization IV....I guess I just won't know what I'm missing. Ignorance will have to remain bliss.
    I've used Mac's before, getting used to their OS is a problem. But you've got time for that, apparently.

Clearly you haven't been reading the tech news much. A PC really doesn't need all that anti-virus stuff, it's the browsing habits of people that gets them into trouble. Script Kiddies love that sort of thing. And, now with the larger visibility of the Mac and the OS X, that threat becomes a reality for you as well. Apple recognizes that threat in their new version of Snow Leopard, or perhaps the next iteration, with security upgrades. Which just becomes a greater challenge to the hackers.

There's been hacking done on the OS X to make it run on a PC. I wouldn't mind doing that. I like using Safari and Itunes on my PC, so it's obvious that the systems aren't really that far apart in reality in terms of code.

cheddar bob Guest

No Norton, no utilities, no cleanup programs, none of that crap that a PC needs to be fed every month or two just to keep running properly
    Why would you need Norton when you can use AVG for free? It's not like AVG has been mentioned on this thread numerous times or anything. Apparently you just don't want to hear it. You have only bought programs that you wanted to buy for your Mac and I've only bought programs that I wanted for my PC. What's the difference, then[[besides the price)?

I don't run "cleanup programs" but if you feel the need to run disk cleanup or defrag, you can schedule them to run in the background and you won't even know they are there. Of course one would need the computer skills of your average second grader to do that so I guess that's where Macs come in.

Steve Jobs nearly died and lied about it

NOTE: This may be the most controversial post I have done at ZDNet.
    I did not intend to offend anyone, and I admit to a bias in favor of Steve Jobs. I thought long and hard before posting. But what if this had happened to Warren Buffett 25 years ago? Serious attention to disclosure rules could have limited the Bernie Madoff scandal, and prevented other harms against investors, including earlier accusations of back-dating options against Apple itself, many involving Jobs.
    We can’t have one law for those we don’t know and another for people we like.
    For daring to steal fire from the Gods, it is said, Prometheus was chained to a rock and sentenced to having his liver pecked out by birds. Steve Jobs can relate.
    Not only did Apple come awfully close to losing Jobs over the last few months, but he will never be truly out of the woods.
    The bottom line is that Jobs is very lucky to be alive following a liver transplant. The first successful liver transplant took place in 1967, but it did not become common until the 1980s, with the introduction of cyclosporine.
    About 6,000 liver transplants are now done each year in the U.S., but the waiting list for organs averages 17,000. Those waiting lists could be reduced as more donors can now survive having part of their liver removed for transplant.
    How and why did Jobs jump the queue? He was dying dieing faster than others, the company now admits.
    Paul Argenti of Dartmouth’s business school says Apple deserves to face SEC action for lying about failing to disclose Jobs’ condition, which is the outgrowth of his 2004 pancreatic cancer.
    I hate to be one of those birds pecking at Prometheus, but I agree.
    This would not be the first time for Jobs on the SEC’s operating table. He was questioned in a scandal over the backdating of stock options, with Jobs later telling Forbesnobody loves me.”

Continued at:
    http://healthcare.zdnet.com/?p=2381&tag=nl.e550

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2