Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Regardless of the substance of this project, the key to long term economic growth is using available space. Even though nobody on this forum wants to hear it, you are better off having a parking lot than an abandoned building, as you are using the space and giving it value, even in the form of a parking lot. Even using half of this building and tearing the other half down is huge for the area. It is sad to see some of these buildings go, but that is the reality of it all.

I believe the portion of the building which will be demolished is the northern addition, not the original structure which fronts Atwater and is clearly visible from the River.

I for one am very happy to see this project moving forward. What a cool adaptive use project! In my mind, the warehouse district, between the Ren Cen and Belle Isle Bridge south of E. Jefferson, is one of the most defineable districts in the city, in terms of characterization, features, and architecture. It is a shame every time one of it's historic brick factories, foundries or warehouses falls to the wrecker or due to time. The narrow streets, lines of telephone poles mounted in the sidewalks and industrial character ought to be preserved, even if the use of the buildings changes. From the rendering, it looks like the exterior of the Globe Building will generally remain intact, and I see this as a real plus. The interior sounds like it will not only compliment the growing riverwalk and Milliken State Park, but will become another destination component of each. It's location right at the juncture of the Riverwalk and the Dequindre Cut cannot be understated.

They may not reach a million people, but this project will have an important impact on this area of the city.

Rocko,

When you compare these 2 images, it looks like 1/2 of the Detroit Dry Docks Building is coming down... [[isn't that the one along the waterfront...)

http://www.detroitriverfront.org/new...%2Findex%2Easp

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...building-1.php

However, we cannot tell how much of the Globe Bldg. is being saved based on the first image...

I'm not trying to take away any or all of the historical background of the Dry Docks.

In many large cities, this would be at the bottom of the restoration ladder. Here in Detroit......one gets to pick from the meager scraps that are left.

From the artists rendering.....it looks like bare bottoms they will be saving.
    Honestly? I'd almost rather see a parking lot.

With the history of Little Harry's & Briggs stadium, would you really expect anything less.......or should I say more.

I dunno....I was home last weekend for a few days, perhaps I just need to get unjaded and numb again after my visit. lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2