Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitman32 View Post
    What about out of staters? Would I have to pay $10 for one time admission?
    If it works like the state parks - yes. But a day pass for state park is only $4 or $5 per car. I don't know if it's more for out of state vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    If it works like the state parks - yes. But a day pass for state park is only $4 or $5 per car. I don't know if it's more for out of state vehicles.
    Non-resident yearly passes can be had for 29 dollars.
    http://apps.michigan.gov/michiganest...&productId=178

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Who in the world seriously thinks Belle Isle would be better off with the state "managing" it?

How's that state-"managed" school district in the city doing these days?
    Wouldn't it make more sense to compare the managing of Belle Isle against how other Michigan state parks are managed?

The weak analogy of comparing the running of parks to Detroit schools really does defy logic in the truest sense....

I think Mayor Bing should be in talks about stepping down as mayor. He's just as bad as Coleman, he lacks a vision on how to rebuild Detroit, his plans go nowhere and he isn't fit to be a mayor of any city.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Wouldn't it make more sense to compare the managing of Belle Isle against how other Michigan state parks are managed?

The weak analogy of comparing the running of parks to Detroit schools really does defy logic in the truest sense....
    The folks who will be "managing" Belle Isle at the state level have absolutely no stake in the park being "properly managed." It's not like they're going to utilize it. In fact, they could still very easily direct the money and attention to the other parks in which they do care about having maintained.

So again, I see no evidence that the state will do a better job at managing this park than Detroit would.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    I think Mayor Bing should be in talks about stepping down as mayor. He's just as bad as Coleman, he lacks a vision on how to rebuild Detroit, his plans go nowhere and he isn't fit to be a mayor of any city.
    At least under majority of Coleman's tenure, the city was still functioning and intact, and by that I mean the basic services were at least sufficient for everyone in the city and the infrastructure hadn't completely crumbled.

Besides that, Coleman Young did at least communicate with the community about the hardships our city was facing and at least instilled some type of hope into the citizens to help them think things would get better.

Yeah, I know, Detroit was much bigger and had a lot more money, but that's still no excuse for poor leadership.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-11-12 at 01:36 PM.

Did the idea of turning the park over to the HCMA go nowhere, or was that just a rumor or wishful thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The folks who will be "managing" Belle Isle at the state level have absolutely no stake in the park being "properly managed." It's not like they're going to utilize it. In fact, they could still very easily direct the money and attention to the other parks in which they do care about having maintained.

So again, I see no evidence that the state will do a better job at managing this park than Detroit would.
    Um your comments make absolutely no sense... let me bring you up to snuff...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Centennial_State_Park

The state is continuing to upgrade and expand Tricentennial Park [[William Milliken Park)... why on earth would they agree to take over [[which is only in the discussion stage) Belle Isle, and then not maintain it? That makes no sense.... the state currently has 98 state parks... and they're all pretty well managed.... why would they manage 98 of them well and a potential 99th one not so well??

So you would rather not take the gamble, and continue to let the park deteriorate.... sounds like the mindset that got Detroit in the mess it is currently in....

When Coleman was mayor, Detroit was hit. Now it's just worse.

Will the state take over Rouge, Chandler and Palmer as well? Why only Belle Isle?

First, I'd be willing to experiment with almost any kind of new management scheme for Belle Isle [[or for ANY of Detroit's monumental parks for that matter), if the reasoning behind was an improvement in service and maintence.

That said, if this is being sold as a budget fixer, I'm a bit confused. Belle Isle is peanuts to the budget. I wonder if Bing [[or was it the media that's making this a story?) is selling this idea because he thinks it's all he can really do, or if he truly believes that this is a real money saver? I know he's smart enough to know that it can't be the latter.

So, if they are going to sell this idea, they need to do it primarily under the idea of a quality-of-improvement and not a budget saver, because Belle Isle is not even busting Parks & Rec's budget, let alone the city's. I mean, everyone knows that the real money in Parks & Rec. is tied up in the human/labor-intensive rec centers.
    Last edited by Dexlin; March-12-12 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    There is nobody who can afford to drive a car who couldn't afford a ten dollar annual fee.
    Probably true, but there are lots of people who can't afford to drive cars who do it anyway because the alternatives are so terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    First, I'd be willing to experiment with almost any kind of new management scheme for Belle Isle [[or for ANY of Detroit's monumental parks for that matter), if the reasoning behind was an improvement in service and maintence.

That said, if this is being sold as a budget fixer, I'm a bit confused. Belle Isle is peanuts to the budget. I wonder if Bing [[or was it the media that's making this a story?) is selling this idea because he thinks it's all he can really do, or if he truly believes that this is a real money saver? I know he's smart enough to know that it can't be the latter.

So, if they are going to sell this idea, they need to do it primarily under the idea of a quality-of-improvement and not a budget saver, because Belle Isle is not even busting Parks & Rec's budget, let alone the city's. I mean, everyone knows that the real money in Parks & Rec. is tied up in the human/labor-intensive rec centers.
    Belle Isle needs $150 million in maintenance work just to bring it back to the park it once was earlier this century. Detroit doesn't have that kind of money. But that's not to say the state will pony up and fix everything worth fixing.

The Belle Isle zoo has been closed and rotting for at least a decade, the eastern wooded end of the island resembles a malaria swamp. Scott Fountain and basin needs more work... the list is endless... but Detroit has no money to take care of what is still open and functioning, let alone what has been closed on the island.

It doesn't need to be brought back to what it once was "earlier in the century." A lot of the historic recreation is outdated now, and doesn't need to be revitalized or replaced. We don't need horse stables on the island nor does it need a zoo, just as an example, so the $150 million is kind silly. That's a problem with much talk about things in Detroit. We don't always need a complete restoration of what once was; what we need is something that works for the current times. We don't always need a restoration, most of the time what we need is revitalization.

Default Will The State Fix Up Belle Isle Now That It's a State Park?

I am hoping they will set a fee to enter and restore the island to at least part of its former glory. Has anyone heard or read anything that would suggest this happening?

I think there is already a thread for the subject.

Care to link where it is, I use the search function and nothing comes up for some reason. Searching "Belle Isle" or even "Isle" nothing...

The search function kind of sucks, but there are lots of old threads about this.

It's already a state park? Or are you jumping the gun on this?

I have to ask the same question. When did it become a state park?

It is not a state park.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I have to ask the same question. When did it become a state park?

What examples of "historic recreation" are outdated and what do you recommend? Do you want Go Carts, videos games and fast food? It sounds like what you know about parks that other cities offer is pretty narrow. Attend the Lincoln Park in Chicago or Central Park in New York. Each has “historic recreation.” Example: Lincoln Park contains “historic recreation” such as a Zoo, Conservatory, an outdoor theatre, a rowing canal, the History Museum, Nature Museum, Lily Pool, Nature Sanctuary, Beach, and playing fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    It doesn't need to be brought back to what it once was "earlier in the century." A lot of the historic recreation is outdated now, and doesn't need to be revitalized or replaced. We don't need horse stables on the island nor does it need a zoo, just as an example, so the $150 million is kind silly. That's a problem with much talk about things in Detroit. We don't always need a complete restoration of what once was; what we need is something that works for the current times. We don't always need a restoration, most of the time what we need is revitalization.

From the Consent Agreement:

" Belle Isle – Create park funding for Belle Isle while ensuring continued City ownership by designating Belle Isle as a part of a cooperative relationship with Milliken State Park. This would include a long-term lease that would accrue the cost of the park’s maintenance and improvements out of the Park Endowment Fund. We will partner with Belle Isle Conservancy and the City to implement a master plan for the Island."

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    From the Consent Agreement:

" Belle Isle – Create park funding for Belle Isle while ensuring continued City ownership by designating Belle Isle as a part of a cooperative relationship with Milliken State Park. This would include a long-term lease that would accrue the cost of the park’s maintenance and improvements out of the Park Endowment Fund. We will partner with Belle Isle Conservancy and the City to implement a master plan for the Island."
    Thanks for this.

recently I participated in a cleanup day at the former BI Zoo grounds.. a real big mess, it was.. I wonder what, if anything, would be done with it if there is state management of the park property.. hmm.. is a mini-zoo even feasible anymore..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast