Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

After reviewing the relevant state statutes, I'm not so sure a declaration of martial law would be required in order for the Nat'l Guard to be put into service.

The MI Military Act would be controlling on this issue: Sec 151 [[MCL 32.551), states [The Governor] "may order to active state service any members of the organized militia in case of riot, tumult, breach of the peace, resistance of process, or for service in aid of civil authority, whether state or federal, or in time of public danger, disaster, crisis, catastrophe or other public emergency within this state."

Further, Sec 175 [[Delcaration of Martial Law [[MCL 32.575) states: "When any part of the organized militia is employed pursuant to section 151, the governor, if in his judgment maintenance of law and order will thereby be promoted, may by proclamation declare the county or city in which the troops are serving or any specified portion thereof, to be under martial law or martial rule."

As noted in Sec 175, the declaration of martial law is permissive, not mandatory, if the Guard is used under Sec 151. I say, screw it. It would be a heavy political lift that would require a serious effort beforehand to line up support among Detroit leadership and citizens, but it would be worth it to stem the tide of violence.
    Last edited by 7miledog; March-07-12 at 10:23 AM. Reason: To add last paragraph

Im not with sensationalizing crime in the city
    but things arent getting better in Detroit. Quite
    the opposite. There are probably about 24K less
    residents and a 32% increase in homicides
    over last year. Its pretty hard to find hope when
    things are headed in the wrong direction

I noticed something different today. I was driving down Warren in the midtown area and saw a couple of unmarked police cars. Stopped at the party store on Trumbull and Mack and it was empty. I was shocked as the lot and the store seem to be a hangout for the people who live in the income-based housing across from the store.

I mentioned to the guy who rung me up that for a beautiful day, it was so quiet around the area. He said it was because police were patrolling the area. While, this was a good thing, it was also scary because that means that a lot of people who hang out at that store a wanted for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild View Post
    Stopped at the party store on Trumbull and Mack and it was empty.
    Do you mean Trumbull and Myrtle [[MLK Jr.)?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4