Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Occurrence Guest

While not the only cause of violence, as long as the failed "war on drugs" continues, violent gangs will always have a source of power and money. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Its to the point where you just need to move everyone and start a new city. Start building from the the East Side and go west. Right now the city is left with senior citizens and young ghetto trash who take pride in having no education, no skills, 10 kids with 10 different baby mamas, and being uncivilized. Jobs aren't going to do anything because most of them can't even read above a 2nd grade level.
    You have a lot of nerve. Yeah, I hate the ghetto mentality, but everyone who lives in the City of Detroit isn't either a senior citizen or ghetto. I happen to be one of them. In fact we're even more damn fed up with it than everyone else because we have to actually live with its repercussions in our vain attempts to keep civilization alive in the city. If you check the census for 2010 there are about 100k of us here who make a decent middle class wage. You entitled Oakland County bigots NEVER seem to understand there are other middle class, hardworking, decent, family-oriented people south of your freakish little bubble.

Right now 550,000+ remianing black Detroiters are trapped in their mental institutional prison we called " The Ghetto."

Right now 90,000+ White Detroiters are trapped in the middle in dominant black ghettohoods.

Right now 400,000+ low income black Detroiters will not know what's next for them the next day if they lose their utilities, getting their next meal, knowing where their kids are.

Right now 300,000+ Black middle income Detroiters will not know what's next for them the next day. If they would keep their jobs, the luxury fix up home, keeping their possessions [[ if there was a robbery), deciding to move to the gloden suburbs or stay, and knowing where their kids are.

Right now 50,000+ Mexican/Hispanic Detroiters will not know what's next for the following day since they are mostly trapped in the Southwest Side barriohoods. Since there is other full sanctuaries outside of the Metro-Detroit Area. Even though they earned the way out of the barrios and into the golden suburbs, how they going to adapt to other neighbors.

Detroiters are living in everyday madness because they whining their mouths to KING BING and the City Council rather then fixing up their neighborhoods. If I was a ghettohood leader I would go every last home in Detroit and tell that resident to pick up the broom, mop and dust pan and start cleaning up their home inside and out. I would tell them to start a neighborhood block club, community policing, create recreational programs, get them to church and perform their service to the Jesus Christ. I would tell every resident to cover up those vacant building or fix them up their own money. Hire a private company to tear down abandoned buildings. I would go up their front door, pound it and tell that Detroit resident to sent your child to Detroit Public Schools or some parochial school in Detroit. Keep them out of those doomed to failure charter schools and suburban schools. Most white folks who lived near their public school districts don't actually want folks from Detroit over there in the first place. I would knock in every door in a every Detroit home and tell them quit your whining and teach your children the facts of life before the get some from the streets. Finally I would knock at the door and tell every last Detroiter to become LEADERS! start your own neighorhood city halls once you have your ward-like districts. They would keep you all in line and hopefully create jobs and international regionalizational growth that would save Detroit from 100 years of its dark ages.

Leave the suburbs alone. Don't blame white folks living in the ticky tacky little boxes, don't blame your nouveau riche black folks who are living in Southfield, Oak Park, Lathrup Village and West Bloomfield. If the suburbanites to help save Detroit they are more welcome. Stop your madness Detroiters, quit your crabiness. Make your stand and your doom and gloom is go away.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

For the 99 Perenters and Guy Fawkes

I miss you so, Neda.

Did anyone else have Van Halen's "Right Now" playing in their head for that last post?

Lecturing poor people about their parenting skills is just political red meat.

You can't change people's parents. You change their children. By offering after-school activities, clubs, sports, opportunities for mentoring. Asking adults to change is the wrong approach, and I say that as the child of troubled parents, OK?

But when you're seen as the ineffective leader of a city that you're basically shutting down because it's failing ...

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Lecturing poor people about their parenting skills is just political red meat.

You can't change people's parents. You change their children. By offering after-school activities, clubs, sports, opportunities for mentoring. Asking adults to change is the wrong approach, and I say that as the child of troubled parents, OK?

But when you're seen as the ineffective leader of a city that you're basically shutting down because it's failing ...
    Are there any after school programs in Detroit? Isn't there a football team or basketball team at just about every high school? Aren't there any clubs at the schools now? Has all that gone by the wayside?

I grew up in a home with no father and my mother and grandparents raised me. Just because you come from a troubled home doesn't make for a bad child. If it weren't for my grandparents, I don't know where I'd be today, but it was their prodding and pushing, dicipline and most of all, love, that got me through.

It wouldn't matter how many after school programs there were or clubs or sports, the kids do what they want to do, and most of the time it would be roaming the streets because they think the gangsta way is the best way.

Bottom line is.... Parents have to be the number one influence in their children's lives from day one. They have to teach kids how to behave, how to respect others, how to live among others, to be a Christian and live by the Golden Rule. When they go to school the first day, they will already have been indoctrinated on how to interact with others. Then, teachers will educated them in reading, writing and arithmetic and the kids will get involved in after school activities.
    It's a progression of growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Bottom line is.... Parents have to be the number one influence in their children's lives from day one. They have to teach kids how to behave, how to respect others, how to live among others, to be a Christian and live by the Golden Rule. When they go to school the first day, they will already have been indoctrinated on how to interact with others. Then, teachers will educated them in reading, writing and arithmetic and the kids will get involved in after school activities.
    It's a progression of growth.
    Well, my point is, once a person is an adult and has kids and becomes that bad parent, you really can't change that. All you can do is offer alternatives. This social scolding plays well from a podium, but as far as spending strained social resources, trying to change parents would be a poor strategy. Focus on the kids.

And if you disagree, all you gotta do is go out there and change every fucked-up parent in the world. Sounds like a cake-walk ... right?

Buy American Guest

Well, my point is, once a person is an adult and has kids and becomes that bad parent, you really can't change that. All you can do is offer alternatives. This social scolding plays well from a podium, but as far as spending strained social resources, trying to change parents would be a poor strategy. Focus on the kids.

And if you disagree, all you gotta do is go out there and change every fucked-up parent in the world. Sounds like a cake-walk ... right?
    No cake walk for sure. Focusing on the kids would most certainly be a solution, but whose responsibility would that be? My first thought is, of course, the parents, but we'll put them aside for now because they are bad. My second thought would be the extended family, but we'll put them aside as well, because they are bad. Now, there are all the pastors and preachers who are always on TV standing behind the politicians, corrupt or otherwise, maybe they should reach out because they are men of God and want to do right by society. If that doesn't work, there's the teachers. They are there to educate children, not raise them. I'm sure they do their best to help them, they are underpaid souls who have dedicated their lives to the kids. But suppose that doesn't work and the kid still wants to be a gangsta? What then? The police can only do so much, the judicial system can only do so much until one of these kids kills someone.
    Maybe the Detroit 300 can help, they seem dedicated to helping some of these kids.
    Where to start is anyone's guess, but maybe handing out some condoms or birth control pills would help as well. It looks to me like these young men are planting their seed all over Detroit, don't care if they produce a child or not.....and the young women who are getting pregnant don't know the difference between a birth control pill and an aspirin. Maybe educate them about birth control.

Handing out birth control isn't, at this point, a solution. As I have read, the culture we are speaking of strongly values the fathering of children as a sign of uber-masculinity. Young women enjoy being the woman who has the baby of one of these guys. Since there aren't [[or don't appear to be) a lot of community expectations that they will, together or separately, raise successful young people to any standard and there is at least a minimum of funds appearing monthly from outside sources with which to feed the baby/child, its not considered too hard or onerous to have and raise a kid or many kids.

This a pretty primitive mind-set. Lots of girls and boys have it somewhere inside themselves. It is a societal obligation to help them understand the fallacies. Only then will birth-control education and availability work.
    Last edited by SWMAP; February-29-12 at 02:02 PM.

I do believe that behavior can be modified thru reinforcements both positive and negative.
    I feel people make a decision to be a bad parent because in many cases there are no direct consequences to that person for being a bad parent, only society at large feels the consequences of a child that wasn't raised correctly.

Society can put measures in place that makes it uncomfortable for a parent to continue to be a bad parent, be it education, fines, imprisonment or loss of parental rights.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3