Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I was up in Owosso today for 7 hours and enjoyed the whole Steamfest thoroughly. Unfortunately the PM #1225 had mechanical trouble and could not pull an excursion, but will sit as a static display again tomorrow.
    The SC #4449 out of Portland was a site to behold. If there is a better looking locomotive around today, I welcome suggestions.

And, oh yes, the B-25 Mitchell [[ Yankee Warrior) out of the Yankee Air Museum, was circling around and keeping us all safe.

Other than an occasional thundershower, it was a great way to spend a day.

Mr. The Rock, our family felt the same way about the 4449. It is truly a beautiful engine.

On Thursday we chatted with at least four people who were learning to work their brand new cameras that day. They had bought new cameras specifically to photograph the 4449. It was kind of cute watching them pore over owner's manuals and look up error messages.

Tickets are still available for the move of SP 4449 and the Milwaukee Road cars from Durand to Chicago, Minneapolis, and beyond. The Friday schedule from Durand to Chicago makes a very workable excursion for anyone who can get Friday off: just leave your car at Durand and return on Saturday afternoon's Amtrak train after a day in Chicago. The Milwaukee Road observation car is a great way to experience the Grand Trunk Western, and probably worth the extra fare. See www.trainfestival2009.com

If the trip from Chicago was any indication, the schedule is likely to be a bit vague, as last-minute changes may be needed to accommodate the steam locomotive and this extra train, so make travel arrangements accordingly.

Photos from Trainfest. The Daylight is my favorite train hands down. What a thrill it was to see it. Detroit in Legos was fabulous. Gistok, that's your group, isn't it?
    Highlight of the day was seeing the B-25 at the airport, and then the B-17 flew over and the B-25 joined it for a pass around the town. Fantastic!

Sandhouse,

Do you have a direct link for the tickets for the 4449 westbound? I know a train fan who be up for that trip.

The 4449 trip drew a lot of attention. There are some really good pictures at www.altamontpress.com Hit the Discussion Board link.

Yes, the 4449 is a beautiful locomotive, and the folks in Portland who take care of her should be very proud. The only problem I have is I'm still a midwestern kid at heart, and deep down inside I just can't shake the feeling that real steam engines don't wear skirts......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2