Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default What is Middle-Class?

Hello.

I know i'm only a recent arrival on this Forum but i have been reading it extensively for a few weeks [[once i knew i'd be living in Detroit) and i have a question about a phrase that i've read quite a few times.

'Middle Class'

Now, i'm British and over here the perception of your class is generaly based on your economic background, education, profession and to a lesser extent political orientation. Is it the same in the US and if not what is it based on?

Now take me... My parents both worked, Dad was an electrician and my Mum was a care worker in a home. I survived school and did ok at college [[college education was and is free in UK). I didn't fancy [[and couldn't really afford) University and one day because it was raining i joined the Army [[long story). Then did 22 years as an infantryman so few socialy acceptable transferrable skills.
    I can speak eloquantly amongst the aristocracy and swear like only a soldier can seconds later. I'm not religious and my politics are my own but i'm neither willing to hang them all or wag my finger at them before letting them go out to do it again. So, what am i? [[not too insulting please, i'm a delicate soul)

The top part is a serious question but the lower part [[the me bit) can be ignore or commented on as you see fit, as can everything in this post come to think of it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this..
    Last edited by Slartibarfast; February-28-12 at 08:35 AM.