Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Yes, the Big 4.

Attachment 12109

Where are the attack dogs?

That is so sad what happened to that man.

It is great to see when things happen as they should. Robber shot 12 times.
    Happened just the other day Cops in right place and time. http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...nt-20120218-rs

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Funny thing is you never heard that one on the suburban news.

The good people of "SE Michigan" would NEVER ignore an elderly person who has been the victim of an heinous crime, nor would the good people of "SE Michigan" EVER hit an elderly person just crossing the street.

I may just take that incident over to the Anti-Detroit/racist posters over at Fox 2 Suburban Detroit.
    LOL, part of my point was that out of all the people that witnessed it, I was the only one that cared. So NOT helping people extends out to the suburbs as well, minus one DYES poster.

And it was racial harmony, I'm white, the elderly lady I stopped to help was black.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I don't understand why this is all over the national news websites.

Nor do I understand why having been in some branch of the service 50-60 years ago is relevant.
    Meddle
    If you don't understand why it matters that he served 50-60 years ago - then it pobably can't be explained to you - OBTW that freedom you enjoy everyday [[outside of detroit of course) was earned by men like this.

The victim certainly deserved help, and I'm disgusted that passersby did not help. But I don't believe the victim was *more* deserving of help because he was a military veteran, than someone who is not a military veteran.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    The victim certainly deserved help, and I'm disgusted that passersby did not help. But I don't believe the victim was *more* deserving of help because he was a military veteran, than someone who is not a military veteran.
    I don't think the comments about his military service implied he was "more deserving" of anything.... rather it puts the story in the context that he had survied the challenges of war so long ago. WWII veterans are our national treasures, at least thats my humble opinion

I am not sure that Crystal meant exactly what she said as her father was responsible for basically starting and training the ment that served in the 10th Mountain during WWII.

As a vet though, I agree that these folks prevented us from sure disaster during the great World Wars, so they do deserve our utmost respect, even if some don't think so.

A DPD friend of mine whispered about a recent police memo directing officers to not arrest people for loitering near gas stations ... If that is true, and I have that correct, we can expect to see a lot more of this ... and the victim may have a case to press against the city ...

And we are all supposed to trust the word of a whisperer? When it becomes fact from a credible source, we all may take notice.

I might not be understanding or appreciating some of the comments here.

The comment putting the story in the context that the victim "had survived the challenges of war so long ago" was well put and was one of my first thoughts after reading the initial story.

I also agree that veterans, including WWII veterans, are national treasures and deserve our utmost respect.

What happened to the victim was bad not because he is elderly or because he is a veteran. It was bad because he is a human being. What happened to the victim would have been as bad if the victim had been female, gay, white, black, an immigrant, homeless, or any other attribute.

I don't think any comments in this thread have disparaged military service.

well said crystal

Crystal-

I apologize if somehow you were offended by what I wrote, as that was not my intention. I also agree that this was a tragic HUMAN event, not a purposeful attack on a veteran.

However, I feel that the people of this country have not been very appreciative of our veterans in the past and do not give them the respect that they have earned. It is seen time and time agian in the lack of support they have received after they have laid their lives on the line to ensure the freedoms that allow us to have these types of discussions, and how they are treated after said service.The criminals that operate so freely in this city are the worst type of offenders, the sort that prey on the elderly, homeless and those who are so vulnerable to their hit and run tactics. We all need to help those that need it, despite what their situation may be.

I also agree that none of the comments here have disparaged veterans, which is encouraging. For a long period of time, it was not that way [[re: Veterans of Korea, Viet Nam, etc.). Although they fought in wars that were not popular, they too deserve our respect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2