Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I think i shall make it to Sundays showing of the greatest movie ever made..based on the greatest book ever written

Hope to see you there !

Quote Originally Posted by PeachLaser View Post
    Kathleen, it sounds like you probably know more of our history around here than many of us! We live just south of Roswell and go through there all the time. I used to work in Madison and my wife is from Covington so often get to see these beautiful old homes. I used to write software for Ted 'Rhett Butler' Turner also. And, no, haven't seen GWTW yet in the Fox but will some day. Wish you success there in Detroit!
    Thanks, PeachLaser. Yes, in fact, I have led GWTW tours of Atlanta and Jonesboro, and have taken my friends to the Museum of Southern History in Kennesaw and up to Univ of GA in Athens and more.

Thanks for the good wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    I think i shall make it to Sundays showing of the greatest movie ever made..based on the greatest book ever written

Hope to see you there !
    Be sure to stop and say Hi!!!

Just got back from setting up my GWTW display at the Redford!

They are expecting a very big crowd. If you are planning to go and haven't purchased tickets yet, you should go to their website and do so.

And get there early. The Organ Overture will begin 45 minutes prior to show time in order to accommodate my 15-minute GWTW presentation before each show.

In addition to the two standard theatre parking lots, they have made arrangements to use three additional adjacent lots.

Good luck, Kathleen! It sounds like a fun event.

Got my tix for Saturday night. I'll be there early to get good seats for Kathleen's presentation. I was impressed with their website where it was snap to buy and print the tickets.

I had just left from the Redford to see Gone With The Wind. I love the way Scarlet OHara goes through a transformation throughout the movie. I wish the owners of the Algers which is on Warren and Outer Drive would show old movies at that theatre instead of just sitting on the building for possibly tax purposes. I had remembered the Fox Theatre showing the movie in the late 1990s during their movie classic venue.

It was a good turnout at the Redford last night. Loved hearing the audience react to many of the iconic scenes!!!

Saw a couple familiar DYes faces...thank you very much!!!

stasu1213: Sounds like you enjoyed the Redford experience! I saw Gone With The Wind at the Fox Theatre several times when it showed there in 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    It was a good turnout at the Redford last night. Loved hearing the audience react to many of the iconic scenes!!!

Saw a couple familiar DYes faces...thank you very much!!!

stasu1213: Sounds like you enjoyed the Redford experience! I saw Gone With The Wind at the Fox Theatre several times when it showed there in 1993.
    I had viewed classic movies at the Redford for a couple of years. A nice coffee shop in the area or next to the theatre would be a nice addition. I love seeing classic movies on the big screen. I wish a venue such as the Redford could be downtown. 1515 Broadway should experiment with some counter culture films of the 50s thru the 80s. The State Theatre could show old movies such as North by Northwest and other classics at least once a month. The Fine Arts, Bonstelle, and the Main Library could get into the act also. I would show classic movies if I had owned an old theatre such as the Algers or the vacant theatre that is on Jefferson near Chalmers. Those two buildings would be excellent for such venue

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I had viewed classic movies at the Redford for a couple of years. A nice coffee shop in the area or next to the theatre would be a nice addition. I love seeing classic movies on the big screen. I wish a venue such as the Redford could be downtown. 1515 Broadway should experiment with some counter culture films of the 50s thru the 80s. The State Theatre could show old movies such as North by Northwest and other classics at least once a month. The Fine Arts, Bonstelle, and the Main Library could get into the act also. I would show classic movies if I had owned an old theatre such as the Algers or the vacant theatre that is on Jefferson near Chalmers. Those two buildings would be excellent for such venue
    I couldn't agree more with your suggestions! Just wanted to let you know one of them has already been fulfilled. There is a coffee shop basically next door to the theatre called the Motor City Java House. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Motor...16444708419291

I want to see reports of the evenings of you. As I live on the other side of the Atlantic, it would be nice to know how things went down. A price of $4,- for the night, guarded parking and a great flick; what a steal!

I want to see reports of the evenings of you. As I live on the other side of the Atlantic, it would be nice to know how things went down. A price of $4,- for the night, guarded parking and a great flick; what a steal!

Got an interesting link for you. As Kathleen will be able to tell you, the movie was shot at RKO's Forty acres movie lot in Culver City, California. The movie was shot in 1939 but the set was left there to decay or used in different productions.

The Atlanta Station set was one of the last remaining sets there at the end of the film location. It finally burned down in 1971. Most of the sets had been ruined after time or left to decay. Tara Mansion was also a set which stood for a long time after the movie was shot. In the end that set was also torn down in 1959 and the only remaining part of it is the entrance portion that was saved for posterity and now resides in the Margaret Mitchell House and museum in Atlanta, Georgia.

Now browse yourself silly in the Retroweb's Forty Acres website!!

Entrance portion of the Tara Plantation set of Gone With The Wind.

I had just left from the Redford to see Gone With The Wind. I love the way Scarlet OHara goes through a transformation throughout the movie. I wish the owners of the Algers which is on Warren and Outer Drive would show old movies at that theatre instead of just sitting on the building for possibly tax purposes. I had remembered the Fox Theatre showing the movie in the late 1990s during their movie classic venue.
    Agreed. Never seen the flick or the Redford Theater. Impressed with both. Great show.

Also agree with Alger Theater...I grew up a few blocks from there. Though it might be premature to think that someone is "sitting on the building" for possible tax benefits.

No private owner has anything to gain from sitting on vacant property that produces no revenue. At that point it's just a money pit. The only feasible way of any benefit is to sit on it until someone wants to buy the lot and redevelop it, hoping that you can sell it at that time for a profit. But there are no tax benefits along the way...a private owner would actually have to PAY property taxes [[and likely liability insurance) for the privilege of owning. Just food for thought as I sometimes get defensive when someone assumes that re-development isn't happening because someone is making money somewhere to keep it from happening. Usually it's the other way around...someone wants to re-develop property, but finding a way for it to produce revenue is difficult...or attracting the investors to pony-up the up-front costs is where the problem lies.

In the case of the Alger...it's owned by a non-profit called "Friends of the Alger Theater". Since non-profits pay no taxes, definitely no tax benefits there. They are trying to raise the funds to bring the theater back into operation, though it's expensive to do the construction to bring everything back up to code and then get the certificate of occupancy. The up-front refurbishment costs are pretty out of control.

Unfortunately, many of the people who are old enough to have an emotional connection to the theater have moved far away. I was living in that area of 1985 on, and I don't think I ever remember seeing it open.

BTW, most impressive thing about the Redford Theater? How PACKED the place was. Great work.

Just got home from the Redford Theatre....

Tonight was awesome!! We had a packed house!! There were lines everywhere!!! The 50/50 raffle generated 3 $100 prizes and a $50 prize!!!

I'm pretty sure that tonight will go down in the history of the Redford Theatre as one of their biggest crowds ever.

The audience seemed to enjoy my GWTW talk ahead of the film and the factoids at intermission as well as my memorabilia display in the lobby. And I talked with a number of people who had questions for me or wanted to share their GWTW and classic film and Civil War stories with me.

Thanks, Lowell, for coming out! Any other DYes'rs in attendance? I missed the chance to say hi to some friends.

P.S. to Whitehouse....yes, I am familiar with the RKO 40 Acres website. Thanks for posting the link for others to explore.

P.S. to Flintoid...the Motor City Java House has great sandwiches and soup plus coffee and delectable desserts. And Sweet Potato Sensations across the street gives them a run for their money too!!

Thanks to all the DYes'rs that came out to the Redford Theatre this weekend!!!

It was truly an awesome weekend!! From what I heard yesterday, it was a record-setting weekend!! Record attendance, record 50/50 jackpots, and record concessions.

And I was honored by the audience reactions to my Gone With The Wind memorabilia display and presentations from the stage. Sounded like everyone enjoyed it a lot.

Keep on supporting the Redford Theatre!!!

Here are some pictures from Saturday night from the iPhone. Tremendous crowd and a great tribute to all who strive to preserve and make the Redford Theater the gorgeous venue is has become.

The famous marquee featuring DetroitYES' very own Kathleen!

The pre-show organ concert. When the show begins the elevated organ descends out of sight with pipes sounding.

A panorama from the balcony. Click here to see a larger version.

Kathleen beside her 'Gone With the Wind' display.

A detail of the display.

Kathleen in the spotlight during a pre-screening presentation.

Civil War era re-enactors in the lobby.

I always knew Kathleen was going to have her name in lights!

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    I always knew Kathleen was going to have her name in lights!

Stromberg2
    That definitely was a thrill when we saw the marquee for the first time on Thursday evening!!!

Thanks, Lowell, for the photos! And thanks again to the DYes'rs who came out and brought family and friends along!!

I'm happy to see the Redford Theatre featured on the new Dyes home page. The Redford is a special place, one of the places that makes Detroit better. I'm glad it's getting Detroit Yes publicity, that can only be good. I have been going to the Redford for several years, I enjoy it every time.

And the Redford's sister theater, The Senate Theater in SW Detroit, decided to stay at their Michigan Ave. location rather than moving the organ to the suburbs. The Senate is again doing organ concerts, which are very good. They are attempting to renovate the building, which is also operated by a non-profit, just like the Redford. http://dtos.org/

We are lucky to have the Redford and the Senate theaters.

I had viewed classic movies at the Redford for a couple of years. A nice coffee shop in the area or next to the theatre would be a nice addition. I love seeing classic movies on the big screen....<snip>
    The neighborhood has improved quite a bit in the last few years.

There are now two coffee shop next door -- last time I was there the Sweet Potato Sensations was serving coffee and treats just across the street in their new, fancy, larger shop across the street from the Java House.

The Motor City Blight Busters and John George are doing well over at the old Masonic Temple building -- renovated and looking good. And don't forget the non-chain Pharmacy next door, Paul's barber shop [[classic) and the Shoe Repair joint just down the street.

I will use this thread to plug the 50th anniversary of "Lawrence of Arabia" with the hope that the board that picks films will consider this classic.

Also, anyone remember way back in the day when at a summer matinee at the Redford there was a stage show featuring "Hollywood's New Superman" where this guy in his Superman outfit challenged a bunch of kids from the audience to a tug of war - and won , of course. Don't know whatever happened to the actor who was doing this theater tour, but the series was never re-introduced with a "new" Superman. After George Reeves [[SEE: GWTW) was murdered the original series was more popular than ever through the 60s and 70s.

It was great to see such an iconic movie in a packed movie palace, the way it was meant to be seen. Had a really good time, as did my family. It was great seeing you again Kathleen.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    It was great to see such an iconic movie in a packed movie palace, the way it was meant to be seen. Had a really good time, as did my family. It was great seeing you again Kathleen.
    Thanks, Gumby, for stopping by and saying Hi. Glad to know that you and your family enjoyed the Redford GWTW experience! I thought the audience reaction throughout the movie was awesome! It really did enhance the experience.

Kathleen,

I am glad to hear the event went so well, and to see your name on the marquee!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast