Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Buy American Guest

[QUOTE=Meddle;306376]Parents? What parents?

If they're still alive, or if the kid even knows who both parents are, one or both may already be in jail/prison for gang or drug related crimes. Maybe the grandparents too. Not to mention the brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles and cousins who might be in prison or graves. We're dealing with third or fourth generation punks who don't know any other lifestyle and don't care to find anything different.[/QUOTE)

I don't know what the answer is in a case like that. I'm sure there are many thugs running out there who don't have a responsible adult caring for them, that's very sad, indeed....but society can't allow them to run wild like the pack of dogs that they are. When in groups, they terrorize people, intimidate neighborhoods and shoot babies. Even when they are alone they are very dangerous.
    Mayor Bing [[the talking head) got up yesterday and made his obligatory speech about parents steping up and Godbee got up and tried to sound intelligent as well, but bottom line is nothing is getting done. I think if the Detroit 300 means what they say, they will be the biggest influence to stop the violence in Detroit.
    I still feel that S.T.R.E.S.S. needs to come back and have much more ability to stop and frisk, sweep through neighborhoods where known gang bangers live, enforce a curfew, and do all of this without the ACLU sticking their noses in it. I have come to the conclusion that in some cases, a person's "rights" can't be addressed when it comes to saving law-abiding citizens. These thugs have no rights....the minute they pull a gun because you looked at them cross-eyed, the minute they do a car jacking, drive by, robbery, rape, or a murder, their "rights" no longer exist. I have known some families throughout the years who have had children to stray from the norm, they have done all they could to help this child until finally "tough love" comes into play. These thugs need some tough love, and if it's not from their parents or whoever is responsible for them, then it needs to be the police, the courts, the State or someone with authority. This lawlessness has to stop. This is winter, can anyone imagine what it will be like in the summer?

Sometimes we forget to ask the kids what they think, or listen to what they have to say:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ce-20120227-ms

Please see the following for an opportunity to come and join us for the 17th annual Youth Speak in Ann Arbor on March 24th. YOU can dialogue with the kids and ask them questions and hear it right from their mouths. I'll be there with some of my kids. The art show is a must-see, too.

http://www.lsa.umich.edu/pcap/whatwe...2012_ci.detail

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    Please see the following for an opportunity to come and join us for the 17th annual Youth Speak in Ann Arbor on March 24th. YOU can dialogue with the kids and ask them questions and hear it right from their mouths. I'll be there with some of my kids. The art show is a must-see, too.

http://www.lsa.umich.edu/pcap/whatwe...2012_ci.detail
    Silly question I suppose, but why are they having this in Ann Arbor when it's a discussion about urban living with Detroit kids?
    Last edited by Buy American; February-28-12 at 07:35 PM.

It's part of an art exhibit going on at the same time [[and other activities). It also allows the students at UM a chance to see what sorts of changes are needed so that they might be able to help make those changes in their careers [[most of the folks who attend are going into some sort of community acitivism/social work and other like careers). My kids have met some great folks who have mentored them through college [[even though my kids may not have attended UM). It gave my kids an opportunity to TALK to folks who are unlike them and have those folks value what they say. There is no debating, no denying how the kids feel, and the kids are free to speak their minds without judgement in the environment of YouthSpeak. It's basically moving outside of the problem area because people living IN the problem area already know about the issues and are, obviously, not doing much about it.

It also gives me the chance to take my kids to a college campus and expose them to things outside of their comfort zone. The folks who are putting it on work at UM Ann Arbor...I really don't question locale because of what I see that comes of it. We've had some pretty good folks come out to work in the schools and such as a result of what the kids say and the dialogue that goes on during the YouthSpeak. It's a good opportunity for my kids so I take advantage of being invited to take kids to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Silly question I suppose, but why are they having this in Ann Arbor when it's a discussion about urban living with Detroit kids?
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; February-29-12 at 06:43 AM.

Buy American Guest

^^^Thanks for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    It gave my kids an opportunity to TALK to folks who are unlike them and have those folks value what they say.
    The key bit there though is your kids. You sound like you have a handle on your family situation and have the ability and desire to bring your children to functions like this.

But who is getting the word out to those who really need it? Who is tacking up fliers on [[unworking) light poles around some of the most troubled parts of the city? Who is knocking on the doors where teen mothers and gang members live, asking if they'd like to attend? Who is rounding up the group of thugs hanging around any random liquor store all day and outright forcing them to attend these types of meetings?

All this talk is nice, but it's completely hollow if the people who need to be aware of it have no idea. A crack addicted 20 year old mother with 3 kids by 3 different long gone fathers isn't reading this forum. A dude hanging out with two guns shoved in his pants bunched down to his knees looking for the next victim to carjack isn't seeing any of this.

We can argue in forums like this all day, but in the end it's just talk. Talk that maybe makes us here feel a little better because we perceive ourselves to be above the situation and we think we have at least a few ideas. But until there is some actual action, all of this talk doesn't change a damn thing about what's really going on out there.

Mayor Bing, "I'm frustrated..." Chief Godbee, "I'm mad..." Thanks for the 30 second soundbite on the 6:00pm news but I don't see either one of them driving around at 10:00am on a Wednesday, grabbing some teen by their hoodie and dragging them to school.
    Last edited by mkhopper; February-29-12 at 02:21 PM.

Buy American Guest

^^^I think when DetroitTeacher speaks of "her kids", she's talking about the kids in her classroom, correct me if I'm wrong.

^^^I think when DetroitTeacher speaks of "her kids", she's talking about the kids in her classroom, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Ah, yea you're most likely correct. A great step in the right direction and if I'm going on yapping about someone taking action rather than just more talking, when then this is a very good start.

I am speaking of my students when I refer to "my kids". My own son is 25 and out of the house . My own son grew up on a college campus and in a suburban environment. He isn't the one who "needs" this experience of having people listen to him. My students, on the other hand, are rarely listened to and this gives them the opportunity to be heard.

I love "my kids" just like I would have if I had given birth to them [[ok, MOST of them) so I refer to them as "my kids". Sorry for the confusion...they do call me "mama" more often than not, though!

Last edited by DetroitTeacher; February-29-12 at 07:55 PM.

There is always action taking place because of what goes on at YouthSpeak! Like I said, we have many folks who come out to work with the kids, in the schools, mentor them, give them ideas of how to make changes, etc. If it weren't producing some results [[no matter how small) I wouldn't waste my time or money taking a bunch of kids to A2 for the day and taking them out to eat [[usually Buffalo Wild Wings or Mongolian BBQ, not McDs). I do this on my weekend and with my own car. I drop each kid off at their door when the day is done [[we head out at about 10am and don't get home until about 10pm). We laugh, explore, eat, talk, and I expose the kids to stuff that they normally don't get exposed to [[they were so afraid of Bubble Tea the last time we went, but each kid tried some and LOVED IT). We go to the Safe Sex Store [[I wait outside for them), we go to some of the unique to A2 shops, they stop people on the street and talk to them [[usually asking about college life). They call me Ms. Tooey [[from Blind Side), act goofy, cry, and can just be themselves. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mkhopper View Post
    We can argue in forums like this all day, but in the end it's just talk. Talk that maybe makes us here feel a little better because we perceive ourselves to be above the situation and we think we have at least a few ideas. But until there is some actual action, all of this talk doesn't change a damn thing about what's really going on out there.

Looks like someone was listening:

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...mes-in-detroit

Hope this effort works!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6