Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default The best gauge is the one established by MIT

One of the ways wholesalers try to sneak by price hikes has already been mentioned with Ice Cream now at 1 1/2 quart sizes instead of 2 quart sizes previously.

I noticed this with Doritos. There used to be a 99 cent bag that had 92 grams. Then it shrank down to 72 grams for 99 cents, and eventually 52 grams for 99 cents. Now its back up to about 79 grams for $1.49.

I read somewhere that the German family that owns Trader Joe's also owns ALDI'S. For a while now I've been checking out the "per oz" price on the item price sticker on the front edge of the shelf. Then I multiply that # by 16. It's a better comparison, for me, than just checking the item price since almost nothing is packaged in one pound containers now.
    Randazzo's has very cheap prices. For instance - white mushrooms for .99 a pound! Last time I looked, Krogers, etc were pricing 8 oz. at 2-3 dollars.

Brazzman, I agree that Randazzo's has very cheap prices... and a lot of retirees shop there. But part of that is because the more upscale stores buy the better quality produce. Although when it comes to items like apples and oranges it's no big deal. But some things there are noticeably different. For example at Nino Salvaggio's all their red peppers [[$$$) all seem to be perfect... and the ones at Randazzo's [[when they're available) look like they've gone thru some kind of mutation [[they often look like something out of a Salvatore Dali oil painting).

But people on fixed incomes swear by Randazzo's.

SteveJ Guest

If you want to talk about bad markets, I'm not sure if anyone remembers this one. Back in the day in the 80's, their was this fruit market on 12 mile and campbell, in the same plaza as the Farmer jacks [[Hollywood market is where Farmer Jack was). It was called Sam's fruit market. This may have been the worst fruit market ever. All the stuff this guy would buy would look like the semi truck delivering it rolled over 8 times. He was cheap though and his store was filthy. He had saw dust all over the floor in the whole store. This place was something else. Much to my surprise, he closed it down and opened up produce palace on Dequindre and 12 mile. Its like night and day to what he owned before. Makes me believe he made a fortune with those fruit he likely got for 95% off.

Dali oil painting look! LOL! Yeah, I've done Randazzo's some of the stuff is not too good. Goes bad really fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    [Red Peppers at] Randazzo's [[when they're available) look like they've gone thru some kind of mutation [[they often look like something out of a Salvatore Dali oil painting).

I don't buy super market tomatoes at all - winter or summer. Perfect looking but tasteless and bland. This time of year I really miss fresh, out of the ground tomatoes. For cooking sauces or soup, I use canned tomatoes and puree. For my favorite sandwich, a thick slice of beefstake on white Wonder bread and mayo, I wait in earnest all year for the Fall tomato season. I used to grow my own but now I frequent one of the many farmer's markets we are so lucky to have.
    As an aside - some of the most ugly and odd shaped vegetables come out of back yard gardens. But the taste -- ahhhhh!
    Last edited by BRAZZMAN; February-20-12 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    Are you from here? We don't call it soda. It's pop.

How utterly tacky! Where I'm from has no bearing on the subject of this thread. I live in Metro Detroit and I CALL IT SODA!!
    Last edited by trotwood; February-20-12 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    If you want to talk about bad markets, I'm not sure if anyone remembers this one. Back in the day in the 80's, their was this fruit market on 12 mile and campbell, in the same plaza as the Farmer jacks [[Hollywood market is where Farmer Jack was). It was called Sam's fruit market. This may have been the worst fruit market ever. All the stuff this guy would buy would look like the semi truck delivering it rolled over 8 times. He was cheap though and his store was filthy. He had saw dust all over the floor in the whole store. This place was something else. Much to my surprise, he closed it down and opened up produce palace on Dequindre and 12 mile. Its like night and day to what he owned before. Makes me believe he made a fortune with those fruit he likely got for 95% off.
    Actually the sawdust on the floor is not unusual for even high end fruit markets. They have it at Nino Salvaggio's. I'm always seeing them sweeping it up. I believe it may have more to do with the water spraying system often getting the floors wet, and they constantly put down sawdust.... maybe so that no one slips and sues....

Agreed! Pop or soda, it varies... my parents called it soda. I call it pop or soda and I was born in Detroit.
    Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    How utterly tacky! Where I'm from has no bearing on the subject of this thread. I live in Metro Detroit and I CALL IT SODA!!

Thanks very much Zach341.
    For whatever it's worth[[and I don't see it being worth a heck of a lot lol)I go back&fourth between the two. Sometimes I ask for soda other times I ask for a pop. I don't see one being anymore correct/proper than the other.

I bought Soy Milk yesterday for $5. WTF! This stuff used to be cheaper than regular milk, which is why I bought it, not to mention general avoidance of COW PUSS. ew.

Try Trader Joes. They have their own brand which is pretty good... and lower in price.
    Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post
    I bought Soy Milk yesterday for $5. WTF! This stuff used to be cheaper than regular milk, which is why I bought it, not to mention general avoidance of COW PUSS. ew.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2