Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

If you don't belong to the Club then don't sneak in and try to wreck it. Basic consideration. Even if you hate the club.

If that person is on the ballot in November, He has my vote.

Its not a GOP primary...its a Michigan Primary....If it were GOP alone...it would be a Caucus...
    Basic Civics here...not sure why that is lost on people today....unless they are not trying see truth here....

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu Warrior View Post
    Its not a GOP primary...its a Michigan Primary....If it were GOP alone...it would be a Caucus...
    Basic Civics here...not sure why that is lost on people today....unless they are not trying see truth here....

Correct it is a general primary. That being said, if you are planning to vote Democrat in November you have the option to vote for President Obama today. If you are planning to vote for him in November but vote republican today then you are one of the people who I have been refering to.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    Problem is, I am an individual. I have my own morals and I live by them and I dont compromise them just because other people/entities do.
    If you align yourself with a political party, then I believe you do.

Of course I could be wrong and perhaps you are not a Republican frustrated by people lashing out against one of your candidates who told Detroit to shove it... in which case, hats off to you for taking your high ground.

It would be dishonest. Quite frankly, the two Republican frontrunners really excel at destroying themselves and don't need any help from the outside. What an odious couple.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    If you align yourself with a political party, then I believe you do.

Of course I could be wrong and perhaps you are not a Republican frustrated by people lashing out against one of your candidates who told Detroit to shove it... in which case, hats off to you for taking your high ground.

Actually I work in the auto industry and, even though I know it could have meant my job, I was against a bailout. However I am against a person who will backtrack and rework their previous comments / stance in order to gain votes. Additionally I am right leaning but by no means alligned with a party, I vote for the candidate that is most in line with my views. Of course no candidate will be 100% in lockstep with my view of the world so in that sense, compromises have to be made.

I do not get frustruated with others who make valid points against candidates. Rather I get frustruated about people making illogical statments about anything.

Thus...everyone should be voting today...even if you are independent. It is not a Republican Primary

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu Warrior View Post
    Thus...everyone should be voting today...even if you are independent. It is not a Republican Primary
    Correct, but you are not addressing the issue at hand:

Do you plan on voting Republican today but Deomcrat in November in an attempt to nominate whom you perceive the weakest republican candidate?

Why would you vote in another partys primary if you know you will be voting for another party come November? I am assuming you want to try to create "chaos" attempting to foil that partys chances in the full election. To me that is a form of cheating that shows the true character of some people.

Just my opinion.
    I think I know how you would vote if the tables were turned. It's all about winning at any cost, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I think I know how you would vote if the tables were turned. It's all about winning at any cost, right?
    No, you don't know how I would vote. I dont subscribe to that belief. Like I said, I do not belong to any political party.

Correct, but you are not addressing the issue at hand:

Do you plan on voting Republican today but Deomcrat in November in an attempt to nominate whom you perceive the weakest republican candidate?

That is not the only reason for a democrat to vote in the republican primary. In 2000 I voted for McCain in the primary because I was terrified of having Bush as president. I wanted to make sure that I had a voice in who the two choices would be. McCain did win Michigan in 2000 but sure enough Bush turned out to be the worst president in modern history.

I don't plan on voting today because I don't think any of these republicans have any chance of beating Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    That is not the only reason for a democrat to vote in the republican primary. In 2000 I voted for McCain in the primary because I was terrified of having Bush as president. I wanted to make sure that I had a voice in who the two choices would be. McCain did win Michigan in 2000 but sure enough Bush turned out to be the worst president in modern history.

I don't plan on voting today because I don't think any of these republicans have any chance of beating Obama.

Your last sentence shows your true intentions.

Essentially you are saying that if you beleived that one of the candidates had a shot to beat Obama that you would be out voting today.

Your last sentence shows your true intentions.

Essentially you are saying that if you beleived that one of the candidates had a shot to beat Obama that you would be out voting today.

Absolutely. Because if my preferred candidate does not win, I'd like a say in who my next president will be. That's part of the process.

Absolutely. Because if my preferred candidate does not win, I'd like a say in who my next president will be. That's part of the process.
    More like, if your preferred candidate is perceived to have a formidiable challenger then you will vote for the weakest candidate on the other team.

Or are you saying that you would vote for the candidate of the opposite party who you liked most???

I am from the Flint area. While voting today something occurred to me regarding the election of the house seat vacated when Paul Scott was recalled. Scott was a republican and was narrowly recalled. Now there is an option to pick a Democrat or a Republican to replace him. It seems unfair that the majority of the people voting will be Republican due to the Presidental election.

Are people in Detroit really getting robo calls from Santorum asking democrats to vote for him?

More like, if your preferred candidate is perceived to have a formidiable challenger then you will vote for the weakest candidate on the other team.

Or are you saying that you would vote for the candidate of the opposite party who you liked most???

The latter is what I did in 2000. This year they are all train wrecks but Romney is probably the least offensive to me of the major candidates.

But as others have said, it's your right to vote however you like.

Civic duty and moral obligation to vote for the person who you would vote for again in November. You have the ability to vote for that person today as well yet you will do otherwise in an attempt to undermine the other party.

Justify it any way you want.
    I don't think anyone is trying to "justify" legally voicing their opinion through a public election, especially without a worthwhile argument against their action.

I certainly don't plan on voting Republican in the general, but my plans have changed before. But then, I'd avoid voting Democrat if I had a worthwhile alternative. In my case, I'm only able to soften the blow.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I don't think anyone is trying to "justify" legally voicing their opinion through a public election, especially without a worthwhile argument against their action.

I certainly don't plan on voting Republican in the general, but my plans have changed before. But then, I'd avoid voting Democrat if I had a worthwhile alternative. In my case, I'm only able to soften the blow.
    I believe that an arguement from a moral standpoint is indeed a worthwhile arguement.

What kind of doublespeak is that second paragraphy? Sounds like you are maybe possibly voting democratic in November but you may vote republican today, unless you dont?!?!

I believe that an arguement from a moral standpoint is indeed a worthwhile arguement.

What kind of doublespeak is that second paragraphy? Sounds like you are maybe possibly voting democratic in November but you may vote republican today, unless you dont?!?!
    People change their minds. There are a lot of uncommitted voters- this is why polls swing so often in an election year.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I am from the Flint area. While voting today something occurred to me regarding the election of the house seat vacated when Paul Scott was recalled. Scott was a republican and was narrowly recalled. Now there is an option to pick a Democrat or a Republican to replace him. It seems unfair that the majority of the people voting will be Republican due to the Presidental election.
    Same thing where I live. Center Line Public Schools has two ballot proposals up for millage increases to improve school facilities. I thought to myself, wow, this probably won't pass due to the republican primary.

I do, as well, but that argument hasnt been made. Maybe you can discuss your moral obligation to do what is right for the country. That may involve doing everything in your power [[and in this case, legally) to keep the unfit out of power. There's a lot on the line.

The "doublespeak" explains the flaw in your argument. For that matter, nobody would campaign if we have already made our decisions. A lot can happen before November.

People change their minds. There are a lot of uncommitted voters- this is why polls swing so often in an election year.
    Being uncomitted is fine if you are unsure as to which party you will vote for in November. If that is the case and you wish to vote for your FAVORITE Republican candidate that is fine. If your intention is to vote for the candidate to undermine that party then you are in the wrong from a moral standpoint.

I am doing this except for one big change. Becuase the nomination of president Obama is a lock, I am going to vote in the Republican pirmary to help eliminate the candidate that I dislike the most. It is not about giving Obama an easy re-election, it is about making sure that the eventual Republican nominee is someone I can deal with if elected president. I personally so nothing wrong with this approach at all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast