I am wondering is there is a "definitive" Detroit history book someone knows of out there. I have more than my share of books on specific topics [[founding of Detroit, architecture, auto industry, Motown sound, famous Detroiters, etc). But I am really wondering if someone knows of a comprehensive, well written book about the city, from Indian times through the relatively modern era [[at least the 70's; after that I would call more "current events" and I remember them well enough). Specifically, I am interested in a book that incorporates the stories of our city into well written narrative, intertwining the sub-categories of geography, politics, economics, culture, etc. I am not looking to spark a debate about various books and their respective merits. I merely have an old NY friend who made the off-hand comment when I moved back to Detroit that she wishes she could read a book to get to know the city [[and she is visiting this summer, so she'll see us firsthand). I realized I did not have a "go to" book for her. For myriad subjects under the heading of Detroit yes, but not one book to summarize the last several hundred years. Any titles? Help would be appreciated.

PS I am looking for a book a la the histories [[on other topics) written by David McCullough or Simon Winchester. Thanks- Mikey