Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Hmmm...everybody likes the work they are doing? Especially the Drive-iT they are using on the lower facade??

Update : they have put the new Buffalo Wild Wings sign up ! I took pictures and will try to post them . The mobile Detroityes page is not iphone friendly :-[[
    Last edited by Detroitdave; October-24-12 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Update : they have put the new Buffalo Wild Wings sign up ! I took pictures and will try to post them . The mobile Detroityes page is not iphone friendly :-[[
    One of the waitresses at "The Ham Shop" had informed me that BWW will not open until February. I don't know if that is true or not. She had said that the delay was due to an issue with construction. Had anyone heard anything else?

hopefully there's a big grand opening, with celebs and giveaways..

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Not too surprising that they put signage up at this point, I'm sure it will help a ton to have that up before the World Series. Probably doesn't tell us much about the actual development and potential opening though.

Im not trying to be a naysayer by any means, but is the addition of a bww all that wonderful? I see them in small malls all over the country and in small cities and didnt think they were any big deal. kinda like five guys and a burger coming..... I dont know much about them but not sure what all the celebration is about,, just curious. or is it just the fact that a chain is opening downtown,, I guess any development is good .

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Im not trying to be a naysayer by any means, but is the addition of a bww all that wonderful? I see them in small malls all over the country and in small cities and didnt think they were any big deal. kinda like five guys and a burger coming..... I dont know much about them but not sure what all the celebration is about,, just curious. or is it just the fact that a chain is opening downtown,, I guess any development is good .
    I don't think it's something to write home about, but I am happy because it's one less vacant building, one more business creating a few jobs, one more building with people in it and lights on, etc. I think there's plenty of room downtown for a mixture of chains and independent businesses.

Me either. It's not exactly fine dining...

I think any great city is made up of a combination of chain restaurants and mom and pop restaurants. The chains bring in the outsiders and suburbanites, familiarity in a place that may be unfamiliar. They may go to BWW, but as they walk back to their car they see a Cafe de Mongo or Small Plates and think, "hmm. That place looks good. I'll try them next time I'm here." I think in order to be successful as a city, a mixture is a key component to drawing in outsiders and having them return.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Me either. It's not exactly fine dining...
    Neither are the Lafayette or American Coney Islands... and yet people wax poetically about them as if they WERE fine dining...

Downtown needs a mix... not just Haute Cuisine...

Haute wings?

Detroit's Buffalo WIld Wings nears November opening

Update in Crain's today: link

There also will be a covered rooftop patio, complete with a bar and garage doors opening up to Greektown.
    Does this mean they plan to have cars on the roof? lol

Also found this interesting:

Ansley is debating whether or not to move his company, and all of its employees, from Southfield to the third floor of the Odd Fellows Building.
    "I'm concerned about taxes," Ansley said. "I would need to increase salaries and we would need to pay for parking and security."
    But Ansley said a survey among his employees found 70 percent were in favor of making the move.

And how often have we lamented the fact that we don't have more of those mall stores downtown? Granted, this is not Target or Sears. But so many chains have abandoned Detroit over the years [[Kroger's, 7-11, etc.), that when one does decide to locate in the city, I cheer! Also, the fact that they are occupying one of downtown's historic buildings rather than building new is a very good thing, indeed.

I also cheer the fact that this is a locally based franchiser. With the recent statement that they are considering moving their corporate offices into the building, it gets even better.
    Last edited by downtownguy; October-26-12 at 08:32 AM.

I think that having chains downtown is a good thing because they typically have the resources to make "smart business decisions" looking at certain indicators rather than doing it for the love of it [[or more, but not totally, blindly) like mom/pops.

While I prefer to eat/drink at the latter, the appearance of more and more of the former is a good thing in terms of future growth and development.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Neither are the Lafayette or American Coney Islands... and yet people wax poetically about them as if they WERE fine dining...

Downtown needs a mix... not just Haute Cuisine...
    I think you misunderstood. I don't really care that BW3 is going downtown. I'll probably patronize if I'm ever in downtown Detroit and have a taste for cheap hot wings and domestic beer.

My point is that this isn't some mark of affluence. Even downtown Detroit is far past the point where a BW3's arrival should be that big of a deal [[see Hard Rock Cafe, Texas de Brazil, Cold Stone Creamery).

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I think you misunderstood. I don't really care that BW3 is going downtown. I'll probably patronize if I'm ever in downtown Detroit and have a taste for cheap hot wings and domestic beer.

My point is that this isn't some mark of affluence. Even downtown Detroit is far past the point where a BW3's arrival should be that big of a deal [[see Hard Rock Cafe, Texas de Brazil, Cold Stone Creamery).
    You're right...it shouldn't merit more than a blurb in the back of Crains. The fact that it is "big news" just shows how small time Detroit still is.

Is this thread in existence because they're renovating a pretty building?

Why such enthusiasm for a fast food chain? Downtown has plenty. Imagine if they opened Chicken Shack. There would probably be a 2,000-post superthread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Why such enthusiasm for a fast food chain? Downtown has plenty. Imagine if they opened Chicken Shack. There would probably be a 2,000-post superthread.
    Or for that matter the "ad nauseum" mentioned Cheesecake Factory....

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Well, it's not fast food, but also, there really aren't many chains downtown. The real answer though, is just that any development will get attention. Also, a place like this is likely to be successful and stick around, which is always good.

Yeah...the best thing Detroit can do is get rid of the city income tax.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DLife View Post
    Yeah...the best thing Detroit can do is get rid of the city income tax.
    Yea it's the 1-2% income tax holding Detroit back. Lots of major cities in the US have income tax. New York has one of the highest rates in the country. All eliminating the city tax is going to do is decrease the revenue for an already cash strapped city.

I was downtown yesterday for both games , I met friends from the "burbs" .
    After the Lions and before the Tigers we went over to Pulse , we walked by BWW and they were surprised and happy to see and know that a BWW was coming to Detroit . Update : they have also put up their logo sign near the front door.
    I know this might sound negative , but we the recent theft of the sign at rocky's , and BWW sign begin so close to the ground , no drunk, or negative people damage the sign , you know how some people are .
    I guess it's just from living here for the last 4 years I hate thinking that way, but I hope they [[BWW) have taken this in to account.
    This is at street level in Downtown D not a safe Mall or outter suburb .
    but the city looked great , we walked over to Bookies , everything lite up , all of Michael "Mike" Ilitch Sr. lots were WELL lit , grand circus park and the Broderick all well lit !
    It should ALWAYS be this well lit !

Article from yesterday in mLive about it. Not much new really.

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d...pears_clo.html

Name:  BWW-update-picture.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  39.1 KB

Apparent opening now slated for December 8th.

Updated photo courtesy of headsupdetroit.com

http://headsupdetroit.com/blog/?p=422
    Last edited by Knocturnal; November-15-12 at 01:01 AM.

I will refrain from calling the clashing of old and new styles butt ugly only because...

1) they didn't destroy the ornate entranceway under the buffalo emblem, they just covered it over....
    2) the upper floor kitschy awning and signage was added without damaging anything....
    3) at least they had the the good sense to continue the thin historic cornice line above the first floor over onto the new addition on the left side of the building.

I'm happy that they are a new addition to downtown Detroit... and I am happy that they didn't destroy the legacy of what was there before.

But this reminds me of old ornate movie palaces and what they did to them in the 1950s.... they put curtains over all the fancy plasterwork in the auditoriums... "so you won't have to look at all that old stuff anymore"....

This has to rank as one of the worst amalgam of old versus new anywhere in downtown Detroit... not to mention the awkward color palette. But since they did it with an effort to preserving what was there before... I won't complain.... much....

It's reversible at some point in the future... and by default they are preserving an old building from further deterioration....
    Last edited by Gistok; November-15-12 at 04:29 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast