Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I saw several varieties of of McClure's pickles in my local Vancouver supermarket recently. They now say Product of India. I didn't buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    I saw several varieties of of McClure's pickles in my local Vancouver supermarket recently. They now say Product of India. I didn't buy.
    HA!! Now you know why I shop at Aldi's. All their products [[minus seasonal produce) are made either in the USA, Germany or other parts of Europe. Dollar Stores, Kroger and other retailers sell some items from China, Vietnam, and as you mention... India. I avoid that stuff like the plague....
    Last edited by Gistok; July-11-19 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    HA!! Now you know why I shop at Aldi's. All their products [[minus seasonal produce) are made either in the USA, Germany or other parts of Europe. Dollar Stores, Kroger and other retailers sell some items from China, Vietnam, and as you mention... India. I avoid that stuff like the plague....
    I love Aldi, and just shopped there yesterday. You need to read the label, even there. When they get the German Week items, for the last year or so, one type of pickle is still from Germany and the other type is from India.

I do note that they switched canned mushrooms from China to the Netherlands a couple of years ago, much better. There 75% fruit spread is still from Germany in Detroit, but I bought some in Toledo last month that is now from Poland. They did cut the price on this item from $2.29 to $1.99. Also, the black olives in a can are still from USA at my Aldi, but in Toledo, they had switched to "American Style" black olives from Spain [[still yummy and now with a pull tab).
    Last edited by rooms222; July-11-19 at 09:08 AM.

Are you serious?!

Here's what McClure's has to say about this [[in response to a question from someone named Sherry on their Facebook page, posted last November):

Hi Sherry! Not all of our pickles are produced in India. Some of our "Big Box" retailers require a lower price point, and have opted for this option as a way to keep prices down. But know that we carefully sourced our partner. The family in India is much like ours: two brothers that care a great deal about product quality and food safety. I hope that helps. Know that we still make so so many pickles in Detroit -- our home town -- and we always will.

Quote Originally Posted by wazootyman View Post
    Here's what McClure's has to say about this [[in response to a question from someone named Sherry on their Facebook page, posted last November):

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Bull on the "two brothers"; they're running a pickle "sweat shop" over there. Last McClure pickle I ate was the last one I eat.
    Last edited by jcole; July-11-19 at 08:29 AM.